XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XK8 vs XJS

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 06:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XK8 vs XJS

I'm thinking about a Jag convertible for summer cruising & weekend driving (XJ8 will stay daily driver), and was looking strictly at XK8s. Lately I've also been looking at XJSs (I6 version). Which would you recommend? Why (reliability, ease of maintenance/repair, style, likely appreciation, etc)?

Old 10-03-2017, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

Well if one were to think about it logically I'd say go for an XK8 because the engine and systems will be the same or at least very similar to those on the X308. Therefore if you encounter any problems you could have prior experience fixing them, or you could borrow a part off one to fix the other depending on how important using either vehicle would be.

However if you'd like a new challenge and aren't afraid to get busy with the spanners then look at an XJS as a long term investment/project. I like the XJS more in UK format with the singular headlamp units as opposed to the USA style dual lamps. I also prefer them in very late model form, just before they stopped making them.

In terms of XK you've got quite a lot of choice in may ways. I like the first incarnation of the XK, I do not appreciate the later Aluminium remodel at all. But as with any car of the ages concerned, it all comes down to how well looked after it was by previous owners.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

I'd always go XJ-S... I am a little biased

The XK is a totally different car to the XJ-S. The XJ-S being a fine lined/penned car capable of driving from A to B at a high speed in comfort. Utter overload of comfort whilst still handling like a little race car. Low center of gravity combined with a great suspension (if only the X308 had some of the XJ parts from the Series I-III or XJ-S) still allows for corners to be taken flat...

I was able to test a 2001 XKR and was not impressed at all. The power was nice but the rest, even though next to new condition, did seem, well, fine but it wasn't that, what I expected. Too hard (thanks to CATS) and I didn't feel the power... Although it was there... The XJ-S also has a bonus: it was available with a manual (as a 3.6/4.0l it was rather more common).

If you like getting your fingers dirty: XJ-S. More pleasing to the eye and less "bloated" looks (OPINIONS!). The XK though has more headroom and more space inside (the XJ-S is nearly 5m long but only has enoughg interior space for like 2 humans and a corpse laying sideways in the back, the XK can at least somehow accomodate someone (be it children) in the back

The following 2 users liked this post by Daim:
89 Jacobra (04-13-2018), Red Baron (10-06-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 08:52 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

XK8 all the way! For the price you get a lot of car for the money. It is also safer than the XJS which is a very important consideration.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Both have there merits and as always the last of the line are the best. The 05 Victory edition XK is a lovely thing, but so is a 95 XJS Celebration convertible, both are an event to get out with the hood down and drive. Did the USA get the XJRS 6.0l cars? They're different in looks, but if you want XJS driving dynamics and the curves of an XK there is the Aston Martin DB7 Volante.
My budget and what the market offered over a longer than average period would have me owning an example of each, cars have gone backwards since. Design obsolescence.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Totally different animals. For the looks and its tremendous attraction, the XJS in convertible form and in a face lift version (my personal taste) is by far the car that will attract the crowds much, much more than an XK8 would, which, BTW looks better in a hard top, coupe form than convertible.

But, if performance is important, as well, then there's no doubt that the V8 car is immensely superior, and I'm just referring to the early XK8 that replaced the XJS. I used to own a 1998 XJ8, which in a way is the more cumbersome of the V8's, with 4 doors, more weight and kind of a square brick by comparison, yet, my XJ8 felt so much more agile of a car compared to my XJS. Much more acceleration, superior in slalom steering and overall better handling, which in general, always made me dream about having its running gear on my XJS. So, I'm sure that the XK8 that we're discussing here would behave pretty much like my XJ8. Now, if we were to compare the XJS to the XKR then the above described differences would at least double and I can attest to that because I replaced my old XJ8 with my current XJR and I can say that the muscle and overall handling feels like a race car compared to the XJS, we're talking apples and oranges.

I'm only being fair to the actual facts here, but then again.... and in spite of my appreciation for performance, I place my XJS at an even level with the V8's, supercharged or not, because of its absolutely phenomenal, striking looks. But, of course I'm cheating, too... because the extra 130 HP that nitrous injection blesses my XJS with, puts it at an equal acceleration as my XJR's factory-rated 5.2 sec 0 to 60. Yes, I have carefully clocked it at 5.2 sec. down 2.6 sec. from its factory rated 7.8 sec. Basically, fantastic looks along with fantastic acceleration. It's the XJS, hands down.

So, Red Baron, get the convertible XJS and install the Wizards of Nos miracle drug... so it will look great and behave (only in a way) like an XKR. Have your cake and eat it, too.

Cheers,

The following users liked this post:
Red Baron (10-06-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 02:31 AM
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Aren’t the 95/96 XJ-S’s the most dependable out of XK’s and XJ-S’s? I have heard the XK’s are much less dependable than the XJ8’s. I was at a Jaguar repair place and a guy told me his XK is in the shop more than it’s on the road.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:07 PM

Thanks for all the input. As I suspected, there was no clear winner- each has its pros & cons. Will likely just come down to whichever crosses my path first....

Old 10-07-2017, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

I have not owned an XJS. I have owned my XKR for 7 years and 40k miles; and my XJR for 2.5 years and 15k miles.

Get a later X100 XKR. It's faster than any factory XJS, and if you want to go crazy fast, go twin screw. The late XJS was as sorted as they got, and are solid cars, but the X100 is a lot more modern, better on fuel, faster, and from anecdotal evidence seems to be much more nimble.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:03 PM

Decision made.... I bought a 2004 XK8. I prefer the interior design (especially the clock, oil pressure gage & voltmeter in the wooden dash). And, OK, the exterior design. It has some minor issues, but at only 30k miles, it will hopefully be around for a long time.

Since my original post in Oct 2017, my XJ8 has gone TU.... Cam chain tensioners. I decided to sell it rather than repair. I was away for 6 weeks & when I got home it took a long time to start. And once it started, there was a lot of smoke from the engine compartment. I put it on eBay for a very low price. After I put it on, I started it a few times with no problem. But it sold & is on its way to Kansas....

Old 04-13-2018, 01:24 PM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

I'm biased towards the X10 XK8/R. It was one of the first Jaguars I had exposure to when we launched and I worked there. A totally new car and engine platform.

It has an efficient engine, great transmission and I love the looks.

I cant in good conscience back the XJS because I'm passionate about the rival- the BMW M635 CSi! (where as I was never a fan of the 8 series rival to the XK)

Old 04-13-2018, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Count Iblis
I'm biased towards the X10 XK8/R. It was one of the first Jaguars I had exposure to when we launched and I worked there. A totally new car and engine platform.

It has an efficient engine, great transmission and I love the looks.

I cant in good conscience back the XJS because I'm passionate about the rival- the BMW M635 CSi! (where as I was never a fan of the 8 series rival to the XK)
The M635 wasn't the XJ-S competitor. The XJ-S competitors were the SL and 8 Series. Mainly the 850i and even the W140 Coupé. Different league of car Test one (XJ-S V12), you'll know why!

Old 04-13-2018, 04:01 PM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
The M635 wasn't the XJ-S competitor. The XJ-S competitors were the SL and 8 Series. Mainly the 850i and even the W140 Coupé. Different league of car Test one (XJ-S V12), you'll know why!
I've driven many. Including the TWR V12. Not my cup of tea. XJC would be another story

Old 04-13-2018, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Count Iblis
I've driven many. Including the TWR V12. Not my cup of tea. XJC would be another story
As I wrote up above last year: it is all opinions and personal taste. I just think the XJ-S rides a lot smoother than an XK.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

I had an XJS coupe HE and we had a convertible in the family ... I bought an SL vs buying a convertible XJS back in the late 80's. For weekend cars -- the XJS are reliable. The XK8 is a more modern car in every respect.

It's really about looks when buying for this use -- most get so few miles the maintenance/ running costs are not a big factor. The 94's got the engine upgrade ... nice examples are harder to find and starting to move up in price. XK8's are dirt cheap at the moment.

The following users liked this post:
Daim (04-14-2018)