XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

89 RH Brake Light Issue - No, really!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 08:58 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 89 RH Brake Light Issue - No, really!

It wouldn't be a weekend without fixing something on the Jag

Today I'd like to look into my 89's right rear (and only this side) brake lights. I had an issue when I got the car, and found a disconnected wire in the harness going to the lamp module, and upon opening the lamp module, I saw a bunch of cooked electronics scorched in black. Not just a little black, the black where you can't read any component labels and some components were scorched away entirely...

So, I picked up a matching lamp module, put it in...put in all new bulbs on both sides, and I'm having an issue where the brake lights don't work 80% of the time. Sometimes they'll work - usually when i'm in the driveway looking at them and ready to fix them is when they work as intended! Whenever I casually go for a drive, i'll get the bulb failure light come on and drive me crazy like it does everyone else in the forums. Plus it's probably not ideal for safety and keeping this thing from getting hit.

Thus I'm trying to see if anyone has any suggestions out there..
-Bypass? I heard from some techs that you could bypass these units, which I'm not opposed to doing.
-Diode Pack? I read some posts regarding installing diodes inline or on the actual lamp modules. Not quite understanding the application for this quite yet...
-Anything Outside this area?-Is there anything else that comes to mind, that I can check outside of the magical lamp module box, that may be involved?

The left hand side seems to always work fine, so I would think my switch and relay would be ok, unless I can track down more details on how the signal splits to go out to both rear tail light modules. I heard you could swap the modules from left to right, but I have different part numbers on these modules on each side, so I didn't attempt that.

Pete

Last edited by DayOff; 09-14-2014 at 09:08 AM.