XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

94' XJ12 Locks Question & Radio Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 94' XJ12 Locks Question & Radio Question

Hi guys!

Couple of quick ones here to see if you can help.

The other day when I unlocked my car my drivers side rear door didn't unlock like it normally does. It stayed locked, So I locked the car again and unlocked it while I watched and I could see the locking peg start to move and then it stayed locked while the other doors unlocked. This was the first time it has done this. Anyhow, today I go out and get in my car and it unlocked! So my question is, do I just need to spray some wd40 down in there to maybe loosen up some dirt or water or should I put a few drops of oil down the lock shute? It's been really cold here latley so maybe that has something to do with it as well?

Next question is about my radio. It kinda works when it wants. I mean it always comes on but sometimes the tape player will run fast or slow or it will jump sides for no reason. So I was thinking of buying a replacement one off ebay (and yes, I know I need to get the new code!) but my question is how do you get the old one out? As a matter of fact how do you get any of the controls there out??? (like the climate control module and the clock module)

Oh and one more...how does one go about replacing the antenna and motor? I know it is located under the rear right fender, but when I look in the trunk it is covered. Is that part in the trunk removable so I can get to it?

Thanks guys and have a great holiday season :-)

peace out,
daddylogan

Attached Thumbnails 94' XJ12 Locks Question & Radio Question-hpim0997.jpg  
Old 12-09-2009, 03:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

as for the door problem you might need a motor assembly for that .I had a problem with my front passenger door as well. I was able to lock the doors with my key but right passenger door lock was staying unlocked position .Only way to lock all the doors was to push down the peg from outside with the door open and close the door.That also locking all the doors .What an irritating issue it was indeed .
For your removing the "audio" lol ...You open the center arm rest and remove 4 screws .Then you will have to disable ashtray and the wood trim surrounding center console .Af i recall, you will also have to remove the gear knob to put the wood trim off the console . After removing the wood trim around the A/C and the radio you will see another screws . All you have to do is to unscrew them all and push the radio gently out . BTW, please be careful you might damage inadvertently

Old 12-09-2009, 05:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After ash tray is removed, don't forget the butterfly nuts underneath of of the trim.
If you stick your finger in both sides, you should be able to touch it.

the gear has to be in D while the car is off (offcourse)to be able to retrieve the trim that is hugging the radio, also the black cover for the shift handle needs to be remove as well, very fragile, caution.

I did use a small mirrow to locate those butterfly nuts, like the one the dentist use.

I noticed on my car stereo, the sound quality isn't great of course two speaker in the back seat are missing, work in progress. is it worthy replacing for the same thing?

Good Luck
Gus
Cutler Bay Florida

Old 12-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts
Old 12-15-2009, 02:08 AM

Hey guys...now guess what? If I don't drive my car for like a day or two the radio switches to the CODE mode and I have to enter the darn code again to get it to work. Why is it doing this?

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 12-15-2009, 05:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I think the radio that is currently in your Jaguar may not be your stock or factory radio .I presumed it might have ben changed earlier . Same happened to me in my '88 XJ40 . We had a late model XJ40's radio instead of old fashioned one and each time it required CODE to get it to work

Old 12-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Nope, that is the standard radio, I've got two of them one was in my 92 and one is in my spares 94.

Question, have you got 6 or 8 speakers? (the wiring is different).

Old 12-17-2009, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Translator
Nope, that is the standard radio, I've got two of them one was in my 92 and one is in my spares 94.

Question, have you got 6 or 8 speakers? (the wiring is different).
How can I tell? Each door has one and the dash "sounds" like there is two up front. I thought all the jags for that year were the same as far as speakers. I only thought the CD player was an option? Teach me teach me...LOL

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 12-19-2009, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

Count them!

The reason for the question was that in the 92 I have 6 and in the 94 I have 8. The radio power wiring colours are physically different in both cars and typically neither car agrees with the wiring colour codes I have in my diags.

More of a mixture of the two.

But as to why your's, want's to have it's code reinserted after two days, I have no idea, because if:

Left A5,
Right A8
Right B2.
are good.

Then would be looking at a logic probem with the CPU, which if all you need to do is insert your code, at this time , live with it.

Unhelpfull I know.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

The V12 has the later 8 speaker stereo. Of course it isn't impossible that a previous owner has put in an earlier unit.

Here is a Youtube video of the radio removal - here on an X300, but the principle is the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpAIdr6V3iE

David

Old 01-02-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by db in uk
The V12 has the later 8 speaker stereo. Of course it isn't impossible that a previous owner has put in an earlier unit.

Here is a Youtube video of the radio removal - here on an X300, but the principle is the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpAIdr6V3iE

David
Thank you for the find! That vid was great :-)

peace out,
daddylogan