XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Antenna not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 07:42 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Antenna not working

Antenna hasn't worked since I've had the car. Pulled it out and put power to it and confirmed that the motor wasn't functioning. I took it apart but didn't see anything wrong (belt, gears, etc. all looked good).

Purchased an aftermarket unit based on some posts that I read and installed it but it didn't work. Next step was the relay. Purchased a new relay from jaguar and installed it but still nothing. I've seen the wiring diagrams on this site but wondered if anyone could provide some direction as to what steps I could take to narrow down the issue.

FYI - I have also read that after market power inputs will not work with jaguar systems so I'm not sure if that's the problem either.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:07 PM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

Hi,

It would be helpful to know your model year and the first three digits of your VIN. Jaguar had running changes during any given model year and the VIN sometimes help identify specific problems.

Originally Posted by dtrain
Antenna hasn't worked since I've had the car. Pulled it out and put power to it and confirmed that the motor wasn't functioning. I took it apart but didn't see anything wrong (belt, gears, etc. all looked good).

Purchased an aftermarket unit based on some posts that I read and installed it but it didn't work. Next step was the relay. Purchased a new relay from jaguar and installed it but still nothing. I've seen the wiring diagrams on this site but wondered if anyone could provide some direction as to what steps I could take to narrow down the issue.

FYI - I have also read that after market power inputs will not work with jaguar systems so I'm not sure if that's the problem either.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:12 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Antenna

1992 and 653

Thanks

Old 09-25-2012, 10:23 PM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

HI,

I'm not an electronics whiz, but I got to thinking about your original post and was wondering if you left power on long enough to allowed antenna motor to activate? The Jaguar antenna's have a delay after power is applied. Also, did you try the original antenna again after you purchased the new relay?

The part you need is DBC5554, that would be the model for the OEM part. From what I could find there are some available and I did find one on ebay. The MY description they have is incorrect on the page, but the part is correct:

Jaguar VDP 1995 onward antenna assembly DBC 5554 | eBay

You can do a goggle search by the part number and find other vendors. I also found this page on another jag forum which may help if you decide to repair it yourself:

XJ40 • View topic - Hirschmann 6000EL (aerial) Drive Belt Replacements

also

XJ40 • View topic - Wanted - Working DBC5554

I had a problem with my antenna, except it was a matter of the aerial mast not extending. If this happens to be the problem with yours, the aerial mast is also available from a number of vendors. The aerial mast part number is DBC2200. It's easy to swap out the masts.

Wanted to mention to, in regards to the electrical and electronics of the Jaguar, you are probably best to stick with OEM parts for repair and replacement of components. If you need a source for the OEM part numbers go to:

Genuine Jaguar Parts and Jaguar Accessories for Classic Jaguars

It's a site maintained by Jaguar. I've learned the hard way. Now I always go to this site first to fine the proper part number, then do a goggle search by part number to find vendors.

Good luck, wish I could have been more helpful

Originally Posted by dtrain
1992 and 653

Thanks