XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Audible Warning Speaker Failed

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audible Warning Speaker Failed

Hey,

So my Jag has some serious voltage variation issues (It fluctuates in alternator output from about 13 amps to 15 amps, regardless of speed), which causes fuses to occasionally blow and my headlights to flicker.

However, I think it recently blew out the speaker which gives the audbile warning when the lights are on and they ignition is off, as well as feedback for the turn signals.

What exactly do I need to replace to fix this? Only thing I know is that its number 3 in this diagram

I pulled the drivers side kneedboard and covers off to look for it, but couldn't find it.

Any help is appreciated!

Old 01-30-2015, 08:07 PM
Received 12,735 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Hi gpwicks,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums!

Regarding your voltage fluctuations, it sounds like your voltage regulator is failing. You don't mention the year and model of your car (it's a good idea to add this info to your signature line), but the regulator is probably mounted inside the alternator. It may be replaceable if you can source the correct part, which will depend on which brand and model of alternator you have.

Regarding the speaker failure, the same thing happened on our '89 XJ40 and I was able to find a speaker of similar size at the local Radio Shack store. If you don't have an RS store locally, try All Electronics:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...peakers/1.html

If you don't find something close there, try mouser.com or digikey.com. You just need a speaker of similar diameter and impedance, with a magnet structure that isn't too large to fit. You just desolder the old speaker from the wiring harness and solder the new speaker on. If I recall, the impedance of the speaker I found at RS was a bit higher than the original, so it wasn't quite as loud, but otherwise it worked fine.

The speaker is tucked up into the steel framework at the top of the steering column. You need to remove the steering wheel cowl and possibly some other components to remove the speaker. You can see the speaker through the snowflake-pattern of holes above and to the right of the ignition switch in the photo below:

I don't have a phototutorial on replacing the speaker, but here are a few that may come in handy (I know you've already figured out how to remove the knee bolster but I'm including the photos for future readers of your thread):

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

And since we're a friendly group around here, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and post an introduction so we can give you a proper welcome and learn something about you and your Jag.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-30-2015 at 11:59 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (01-31-2015), gpwicks (02-01-2015), Lawrence (01-30-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info! This looks like a great forum!

I'll definitely look into finding an equivalent speaker for it. Unfortunately, I have no soldering iron or tools where I am, but I at least know where it is now.

I did also change the alternator recently (which is where the regulator is, I think) to try and alleviate the fluctuations, but not no avail. My theory is that the battery cable that runs from the trunk could be corroded, since the voltage drop test yielded roughly 1.0 amp (I think thats the right units) from the trunk. I would probably have to tear up the interior to find out, which I'm in no rush to do.

I went ahead an posted my intro as well over in the new members area.

Last edited by Don B; 02-01-2015 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by gpwicks
My theory is that the battery cable that runs from the trunk could be corroded, since the voltage drop test yielded roughly 1.0 amp (I think thats the right units) from the trunk. I would probably have to tear up the interior to find out, which I'm in no rush to do.

Hi gpwicks,

Corrosion on the various battery power connections and ground points is a known cause of many hard-to-diagnose gremlins on Jaguars. Cold or starved solder joints in the fuse boxes is also a common issue. Below are links to photos showing how I serviced these items on our '93:

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
93SB (02-28-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 08:49 PM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

Thought I would chime in on this one. On my VIN, the lights-on audible warning sound is actually provided through a three prong Hella relay (3SB 004-438-08) or if you prefer DBC5166.

I know there was a change around VIN 594576 to DBC5453, which is also referred to as the lights-on audible module for later models. It's referenced in you pic in the original post of this thread as item 12.

So I was curious if the later part also actually provides the audible sound for a lights-on/key off condition like my earlier one....?

Don B (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rob Evenson
Thought I would chime in on this one. On my VIN, the lights-on audible warning sound is actually provided through a three prong Hella relay (3SB 004-438-08) or if you prefer DBC5166.

I know there was a change around VIN 594576 to DBC5453, which is also referred to as the lights-on audible module for later models. It's referenced in you pic in the original post of this thread as item 12.

Hi Rob,

I can't answer your question, but for owners of '93-'94 cars who may be wondering, in the late cars the turn signal speaker connects directly to the CPU, which contains the turn signal logic among other functions.

Cheers,

Don

93SB (02-28-2015)