XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Few problems... help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 11:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Few problems... help?

I got my second jag(90 xj6 sov.) and love it! First one died a premature death to some idiot rear-ending me at a stop light(88 xj6). Anway, igot a few problems, when my A/C kicks on it gets cool. but it dosent seem to blow out of the vents very hard. Not sure if thats how they are or what. Do 90 jags have Cabin Air Filters(firgured it isnt blowing hard from having a clogged up filter)? Second problem is my troublesome headliner. interior is in PERFECT shape except the headliner is falling down. worth it to try and fix it myself? or just take it to a interior detailer? Last but not least, when ever i hit bumps(even slight ones) i hear a metal "chattering" from the rear. i did a shake down and couldnt find anything loose. Sounds like a possible bushing is gone from a strut but it isnt loose. how do i access the top of the strut? from inside the trunk? any help would be great!

The following users liked this post:
sneby09 (12-15-2011)
Old 08-03-2007, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Few problems... help?

1. The 90 does not have a cabin filter. What you do have is a two blower motors. I will bet you a shiney nickel that you have one blower motor that doesn't work. The motors blow against one another, so the air meets in the middle and is forced out the vents usually at gail force strength. If one motor fails you lose more than just a little force because air moved by the remaining motor just pushes the fail motor backwards. Why do they fail? Jaguar used unsealed blower motors in these cars, so the condensation drips down into the motors and the brushes and everything else rusts. I have rebuilt units with sealed motors. Send me a PM, it's the last blower you will need to buy. (At least for that side.) There's more than you wanted to know.

2. Headliners maybe done by any trim shop in the world. There is nothing fancy to a Jaguar headliner. A good company will come the car, pull board down in the car, recover it, and replace. Really shouldn't cost more than $300. Don't let someone look at the car, tell you it's a Jaguar, and bend you over the kitchen table. That's BS.

3. Rear end clatter. Not to be confused with the kitchen table episode from above. It's very common for the rear upper shock bushings to fail. There are three bushings per shock. You can replace them but it's not cheap. Inspect throughly and see if you need to do the shocks and/or springs while you are in there. The labor is the same either way because they must be disassembled to do the job. Cost for bushings will come to about $70 for parts to do both sides.

The following users liked this post:
sneby09 (12-15-2011)
Old 08-03-2007, 09:44 AM

Do i have to tear the interior apart for the blower motors?

Old 08-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question man, I have similar concern with my 93XJ the air just doesn't seem to blow very hard. BTW Ken is there an easy test to determine if the blower is not working?? Hate to go to all that expense to find the circulation is just poor. I heard the blowers will only function on high if there's a problem. Mine goes through all speeds fine in heater and circlation functions, but on A/C it seems to run where it wants???

Old 08-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

You can unplug one side and see if anything changes and then reconnect and do the other. If you have a motor that is out, when you unplug there will be no difference. If you find that you have one motor that makes no change, test to make sure it's getting voltage before you condemn it. However, 99% of the time it's a blower motor.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

And, if you want a good laugh, price them from Jaguar. [&:]

Old 08-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

The blowers come out from the bottom, but it's not a fun job. You will spend more than an hour with your head down where your feet should be. There is no possible way to get comfortable. The passenger side is far easier than the driver's side. (Damn steering column!)

Old 08-03-2007, 01:40 PM

Ok where does one unplug them then?
I read somewhere Jaguar Enhusiasts I think that you can remove a fuse?
Have you heard of this?

Old 08-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member

The fuse will take out both motors. You can reach the plugs from under the dash.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:27 AM

come out of the bottum? inside the car? or outside? i know my old chevy had blower motors that u can take out form the outside.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:26 PM

blower problem is pretty much solved. yanked it out today and the motors bad. new one should be here in a few days. anyone know how to get to the rear struts? mines making that chattering sound(bushings might not be on their). By the way, each side Blower motor has its own fuse. driver side motor fuse is a 20 amp on the driver side kick panel fuse box. passenger is in passanger kick panel fuse box.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:47 AM

Err...Inside the car from underneath the dash. It ain't no chevy as a trip to the parts counter will quickly confirm...