XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Fuel Pump Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 08:03 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy Fuel Pump Not Working

I think the fuel pump on my 1990 XJ6 is bad. I've checked for power to the pump using my test light, and there is power. But the pump doesn't run. I thought maybe it was a ground, but running a wire from the ground terminal on the fuel pump didn't resolve it. So it must be the pump, and I will go and order one soon. My question really is about how you go about replacing this thing! Could Jaguar have come up with a more inaccessible place to locate a fuel pump?? Does anyone out there have any tips on how to go about doing this? I checked with my local independent Jaguar repair shop and it would cost in excess of $450 to do it for me. I just can't see paying that much when I can get a Bosch pump for about $160 from the auto parts store.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts

I feel your pain!
In fact I felt it personally quite recently.

Changing out the fuel pump is a PITA, but only a minor one.
Check out this thread, there's some good info there. Post #7 is relevant.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=39963

Last edited by retromotors; 10-27-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

In your 90 model the pump should be located on the frame wheel by the RHR tire. Shouldn't be that bad of a job.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:42 PM

Thanks, retromotors. That's exactly what mine looks like, and I was thinking of doing it the same way; remove the two nuts and lift the whole mess off of the suspension arm. I ordered a Bosch pump from Advance Auto Parts and it should be in tomorrow. So I'll spend part of the day changing out the pump. We are in the middle of getting ready for my daughter's wedding, so I don't have a lot of time to spend on the Jaguar. But being down to one car is not fun. I see you are from Mississippi. My dad is from Roxie. We spent a lot of time down there. Beautiful state. Thanks again, and let everyone know how it turns out.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:28 PM
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

for my 90 i bought an aftermarket pump, was inexpensive lasted 60 thousand miles)

Old 10-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Quote"Could Jaguar have come up with a more inaccessible place to locate a fuel pump??"UnQuote

Are you out of your mind?????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????

Most cars from 1991MY onwards have them IN THE FUEL TANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would crawl on broken glass to have my 1992 XJ6 pump EXPOSED on the subframe. I could retrofit the pump and fuel tank but a 20 year old car is not worth the effort. My pump still operates normally but it will need replacement someday.

bob gauff

Old 10-28-2010, 11:06 AM

I guess it's all perspective. Granted, I don't work on vehicles on an everyday basis, but my Mustang's fuel pump is fairly easy to do, even though it is in the tank, and my 1977 MGB was in a difficult place, but nothing like the Jaguar. It looks like it's going to be a bear, but who knows. Once I get into it, maybe it won't be that bad.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Chin up Robert, you should be OK once you get started. Just remember to support the car on stands rather than the jack.

All the best for the wedding.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:34 AM

Thanks, Richard. I'm going to do some wedding related things this morning, and then I will be getting started on the Jaguar. Shouldn't take too long, right?!

Old 10-29-2010, 01:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob,

Best wishes on the wedding from me as well.

I am looking forward to your feedback on the pump replacement. I need to do this as well as the fuel filter (which you should do both since you're down there).

Best of Luck!

Old 10-30-2010, 08:10 AM

Well, I got started on the fuel pump. I woke up this morning - the morning of my daughter's wedding - and I was lying in bed at 6 am thinking of what we have yet to do for the wedding. It was too early to do anything outside, so I thought, "why not work on the fuel pump?" So I got up and went out to the garage and went to it.

I have to say, it's a bear that I hope won't eat my lunch. I managed to get the wires disconnected and the fuel out line, but I'm hesitant to disconnect the fuel in line. I'm working alone, and it's such a constricted area, that I'm afraid that once I get it off, it's going to dump fuel all over the place before I can get a plug in the line. Does anyone know what size plug I need to put in the end of the hose?

Old 10-30-2010, 11:36 AM

I'm not going to be much help on this one. My tank was virtually empty so I just drained it into a pan first.

The fuel line size is ½", but that's not to say a ½" plug is going to work. If you could find something that was beveled from slightly smaller to slightly larger than ½", it should work.

If you have one of those wooden stirring spoons in the kitchen, that might be a possibility.
WARNING:
Make sure your doghouse is comfortable before using the suggestion above.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't start mucking about with fuel lines just before a wedding, you could end up being at the church for a whole different service

Don't forget to de-pressurize the fuel system before you start disconnecting lines. Basically remove fuel cap, disconnect pump relay and run the car until it stalls. Then disconnect the battery.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:40 PM

Aw Translator, don't be such a stick-in-the-mud.

No eyebrows and flame-crinkled hair could start a whole new style for nuptials!

Old 10-31-2010, 03:52 AM
Veteran Member

Heh heh, you have a point there Retro

I wonder if Robert will send us a bit of Wedding Cake?

Old 11-01-2010, 08:38 PM

Per Richard's request, here's a piece of wedding cake. I'm afraid you'll all have to share it, so go easy.

As for the fuel system depressurization, since there was no fuel being pumped to the fuel rail, there was no pressure. When I disconnected the fuel line leading out of the fuel pump, I got nary a drop of fuel. And curiously, the nut for the fuel line was not that tight. Tomorrow I'm taking a day off work to vote and finish the fuel pump replacement. With a little luck, the Jaguar will be back on the road tomorrow.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:58 PM

It's done! And it wasn't all that bad. Once I figured out which contortions were required in order to plug the fuel line with one hand while holding it with the other, it went pretty smoothly. Of course there was that fuel bath I took when I initially disconnected the fuel line from the old pump, but the new pump is now installed and the old girl is running great. A few tips for those considering this task: 1. Use some sort of container underneath to catch the fuel that will inevitably be spilled. I used an oil drain pan; 2. As I alluded to, the fuel is going to come out of the disconnected fuel line with some force. Watch your face and eyes. Wear goggles if you have them. 3. Jack the car up as high as possible in order to have room to work. And definitely use jack stands. When you have your arms in among the suspension pieces, you do NOT want the car falling on you; 4. Have patience! It took me about 2 hours all together. But then I took the time to clean up the area around the fuel pump and the fuel pump itself before I started. You don't want dirt and grime getting into the open fuel lines. Good luck, and thanks to all who offered advice.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, the pleasures of fuel pump replacement(s). As you've discovered, the '88-'90 type external pumps aren't too bad to replace. Truth be told, the later models are only a little more difficult. I always wondered why Jaguar switched to the in-tank pump until I helped a friend replace his '94 pump. He bought his car new and the replacement was his first fuel pump R&R - at 136,000 miles! The external pumps suffer from heat-related failure much more often than in-tank units. Seems the fuel acts as a cooler, which is why almost all modern cars have their pumps in the tank. Dang, it's good to know this stuff!