XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

How to remove door panel

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Just proceed SLOWLY and finesse, finesse, finesse. You can't be ham fisted or you'll screw stuff up.

1 pull the little cover under the inside door handle and remove the screw hidden there.

2 pull the door handle surround.

3 remove the wood. It slides out towards the front of the car. Carefully pull the front of the wood towards you and gently slide/wiggle it towards the front of the car.

4 remove the rubber grommet near the front of the panel. The one that leads to the AC ducts in the dash. Hidden screw in there

5 pop the little push connector near the front of the upper door panel. You can see the head of it with the door open.

6 CAREFULLY slide the top part of the panel up while wiggling it. It'll come free.

7 remove the phillips screws under the arm rest I think there are 3. Then pull the arm rest free.

8 CAREFULLY, GENTLY pop the push connectors along the bottom of the lower door panel. I have a little plastic pry tool I use but you could use a screwdriver. Just wrap it with tape so it won't gouge anything. There are probably 6 or so push connectors along the bottom and front/rear edges of the panels.

9 unplug the connectors that lead to the wiring in the door panels.

10 Marvel at how well built the door panels are

Once in there you'll have to move the clear plastic sheet out of the way in order to examine the lock mechanism. Pull the outside door handle up while looking at the mechanism and you'll see a rod that runs from the handle to a white plastic assembly near the latch mechanism. There will be threads on the bottom of the rod.

Check out the white plastic part that the threaded lower part of the rod "screws" into. You'll notice a second plastic square part that slides out of the plastic part the rod is attached to. If the door were closed it would be oriented towards the front of the car.

There is a little latch that can be depressed (Kind of like on an electrical connector) and the "square" can be wiggled out. This is a kind of "collar" that will allow the threaded rod to be adjusted without turning it.

After some fidgeting you should be able to get the door handle adjusted so it functions properly. Once the rod "length" is established the square part can be pressed into place and "lock" around the threaded rod.

I hope this makes some sense. If you decide to work on it it should make sense once you get in there. Maybe... It really wasn't that difficult but I do have some experience fooling with interior parts.

Just remember to take it easy and BACK OFF if something doesn't feel right. Hopefully your solution is the same as mine!

Good luck! It would also be a good time to change the speakers in the doors while your in there!

Last edited by steveinfrance; 09-22-2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Copied as a HOW-TO
The following 7 users liked this post by hoff70:
bigblackjag (05-01-2013), dogpak (07-30-2013), jimbo94 (06-27-2015), Lawrence (10-06-2012), Rasigs (07-04-2013), roborio (04-04-2013), Roob0481 (06-15-2015) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)