XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

I needed a LOT of parts, but then.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I needed a LOT of parts, but then.......

Ok, so I just recently bought a 1988 Jaguar XJ6 with the 3.6 engine. My first Jag and I'm a definite newbie. Meant to be a project car and the car needed a lot of little things to make it right. I talked the guy down to $1200 from $2000 and it seemed like a good deal and it does run and shift well and exterior is pretty good. But then the more I've owned it, the longer the list of items that I need to get has grown. And I've found that these little items aren't so cheap no matter how much internet searching I've been doing. Here is a list of just SOME of the things that I've come to find out that I want and or need.

1. Hood Support Struts ($40-pair)
2. Replacement Jaguar Radio - Mine works but has issues ($150 avg)
3. Leaper Hood Emblem ($79+s/h avg)
4. Hood Insulation Pad - mine is all ripped up and shredded ($178 used on a jag site)
5. 4 Center Caps with jaguar emblems ($35 each X4 plus s/h X4)
6. Spare Tire ($?)
7. Instrument Cluster with Digital Gauges - mine has issues ($199 for good one)
8. Air Filter Box ($?)
9. High Pressure Power Steering Hose ($?)
10. Two Tail lights ($85 x 2)
11. Rear Fog Light Lense ($65)
12. Side Reflector Light ($35)
13. Wiper Motor ($?)
14. Brake Calipers - found out while replacing pads yesterday ($$$$$$?)
15. Two Rear Door Handle Assemblies ($$$$$?)
16. Trunk Carpet ($?)
Much more................

Obviously this was going to be a slow process on my project car and I kept asking myself exactly just how much this car was even worth? Well I don't know but I know I really like this car. Well then I received my answer this weekend! I found an ad on Ebay for an 89 Jaguar XJ6 3.6L for parts only and the guy was asking $200. He only listed ONE picture of the car and it had about 5 feet tall weeds all around it as it was sitting in a field. I could tell it had the leaper hood ornament $79+s/h that I wanted and that was about it. Well the car was about 2 hours from my house so I car a car trailer and drove there after talking to the guy on the phone. The guy was a retired teacher and is on his way to China. He also is retiring on working on Jaguars as a hobby. So, he LOADED the car up with all the XJ6 parts he had left and sold me the car for $200. In the car I found over $10 in change so I got it for basically $190. Then as I scratched my head to figure out how to get it loaded on the trailer, he said, "ill get a set of jumper cables and some ether!" This wasn't a parts car! It actually runs, and runs quite well at that! The hood insulation pad looks like new and the trunk parts inside are nice as well. The factory radio works fine and he also threw in THREE additional jaguar radios! The trunk is rusty as well as some other areas on the car but my actual body on my car is pretty good. BUT, the tail lights on the "parts" car are much better than mine and he threw in two more pairs of really nice tail lights as well! They look almost new! This "parts" car has a fully 100% working digital dash and the VCM is correctly working and is legible unlike mine. I have tons of extra computers and MAF units and wires and interior pieces and on and on and on. It has different rims with different center caps, the caps are inside the car. But he also threw in extra center caps that'll work for my rims as well. I got an original jag service manual and just so much more....all for $190! So I'm very happy as this makes my restoration job much cheaper and I can take the best of both to make the best car. Then I can sell all the extra good parts on Ebay and scrap the frame for at least $190 when I'm all done! Well below you'll find pics! It looks like my jag had a baby over the weekend..... TWINS NOW!!

Attached Thumbnails I needed a LOT of parts, but then.......-sdc14894_new.jpg   I needed a LOT of parts, but then.......-sdc14896_new_new.jpg   I needed a LOT of parts, but then.......-sdc14898_new_new.jpg  
Old 05-23-2010, 11:52 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Wow, look like twins! I see lots of parts sharing in the future, perfect for your project.

Great find!

Old 05-24-2010, 01:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

You must have been very kind to someone, somewhere in a past life. Nice one!

Personally I don't like to see a leaper on an XJ40, they did not have one from the factory, but it's a question of choice.

Now you can really have some fun.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default may have what you need

Originally Posted by tedh
Ok, so I just recently bought a 1988 Jaguar XJ6 with the 3.6 engine. My first Jag and I'm a definite newbie. Meant to be a project car and the car needed a lot of little things to make it right. I talked the guy down to $1200 from $2000 and it seemed like a good deal and it does run and shift well and exterior is pretty good. But then the more I've owned it, the longer the list of items that I need to get has grown. And I've found that these little items aren't so cheap no matter how much internet searching I've been doing. Here is a list of just SOME of the things that I've come to find out that I want and or need.

1. Hood Support Struts ($40-pair)
2. Replacement Jaguar Radio - Mine works but has issues ($150 avg)
3. Leaper Hood Emblem ($79+s/h avg)
4. Hood Insulation Pad - mine is all ripped up and shredded ($178 used on a jag site)
5. 4 Center Caps with jaguar emblems ($35 each X4 plus s/h X4)
6. Spare Tire ($?)
7. Instrument Cluster with Digital Gauges - mine has issues ($199 for good one)
8. Air Filter Box ($?)
9. High Pressure Power Steering Hose ($?)
10. Two Tail lights ($85 x 2)
11. Rear Fog Light Lense ($65)
12. Side Reflector Light ($35)
13. Wiper Motor ($?)
14. Brake Calipers - found out while replacing pads yesterday ($$$$$$?)
15. Two Rear Door Handle Assemblies ($$$$$?)
16. Trunk Carpet ($?)
Much more................

Obviously this was going to be a slow process on my project car and I kept asking myself exactly just how much this car was even worth? Well I don't know but I know I really like this car. Well then I received my answer this weekend! I found an ad on Ebay for an 89 Jaguar XJ6 3.6L for parts only and the guy was asking $200. He only listed ONE picture of the car and it had about 5 feet tall weeds all around it as it was sitting in a field. I could tell it had the leaper hood ornament $79+s/h that I wanted and that was about it. Well the car was about 2 hours from my house so I car a car trailer and drove there after talking to the guy on the phone. The guy was a retired teacher and is on his way to China. He also is retiring on working on Jaguars as a hobby. So, he LOADED the car up with all the XJ6 parts he had left and sold me the car for $200. In the car I found over $10 in change so I got it for basically $190. Then as I scratched my head to figure out how to get it loaded on the trailer, he said, "ill get a set of jumper cables and some ether!" This wasn't a parts car! It actually runs, and runs quite well at that! The hood insulation pad looks like new and the trunk parts inside are nice as well. The factory radio works fine and he also threw in THREE additional jaguar radios! The trunk is rusty as well as some other areas on the car but my actual body on my car is pretty good. BUT, the tail lights on the "parts" car are much better than mine and he threw in two more pairs of really nice tail lights as well! They look almost new! This "parts" car has a fully 100% working digital dash and the VCM is correctly working and is legible unlike mine. I have tons of extra computers and MAF units and wires and interior pieces and on and on and on. It has different rims with different center caps, the caps are inside the car. But he also threw in extra center caps that'll work for my rims as well. I got an original jag service manual and just so much more....all for $190! So I'm very happy as this makes my restoration job much cheaper and I can take the best of both to make the best car. Then I can sell all the extra good parts on Ebay and scrap the frame for at least $190 when I'm all done! Well below you'll find pics! It looks like my jag had a baby over the weekend..... TWINS NOW!!
Radio, Air filter box, powersteering hose , tail lights , inquire 954 298 5602
dimsum29@hotmail.com Dimitri

Old 05-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You've got it going on! Great find.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:01 PM

thanks everyone for your replies! These Jaguars sitting side by side are definitely getting a lot of attention from the neighbors passing by. Not to mention......my other cars are all sitting there as well. I have a 2000 F150 long bed for hauling stuff. My lady has a 2000 Oldsmobile Alero as her daily driver which I hate. I have a 2002 Chrysler Town and Country Limited Gold and Chrome for when we have all our kids together. I have a 2005 Ford Escape V6 4x4 as my daily driver. Then for fun I have a black 97 Volvo 850 Turbo and now the Jags have multiplied into two! It's a good thing I have a big driveway to hold all these cars. Funny thing is, just two years ago my now ex-wife cheated on me and abandoned our at the time 4 month old daughter. Of course we fought everything out in court and I used my best friend for my attorney. I won everything and she lost it all. She then dug herself further into a hole. She has over $75,000 in debt and I paid off my house and all the cars I bought with cash. I just love the pissed off look she gives me when she pulls into the driveway for a three hour visit with my daughter and sees a new car. I parked the two Jags side by side last night so when she returned she'd see them. She got into a car accident last week and lost her car since she had no insurance so she has a rental for now. So having the two jags on the driveway was awesome! Plus, it was a great photo opp to put on here!

Old 05-28-2010, 04:49 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

awesome find!!

I grew up in Fort Wayne, and if we parked my jag in the driveway it would look like triplets

Old 05-28-2010, 11:03 AM

Awesome! Yeah I was born in Fort Wayne and I've been here ever since. I have full custody of my 11 year old son and my 2 1/2 year old daughter but I can't leave the city without giving them up, which I will never do. So, it's Fort Wayne for at least another 16 years! Well at least this week in Fort Wayne we have good weather so I have a lot of plans for working on the Jags as well as cleaning out the garage.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:40 PM

I can understand why you stay, for me I'll never go back

Here is my old girl, if you decide you want to get rid of a rust free trunk lid let me know

Name:  100_0264.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  162.5 KB

Old 06-01-2010, 12:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice pickup!

If the 89 isn't too bad, you might want to consider fixing it up and selling it whole. Reason I say this is that there's VERY little that actually swaps between a 94 and an 89, the 3.6s are really their own little beasts in and of themselves.

Major differences:

Door Panels
Cluster
Chassis Harnesses (The 94 uses United Technologies wiring harnesses)
Engine
Cluster
Doors
Most fuel injection parts
Seats
Stereo
etc

There's really 3 generations of the XJ40:

1) the 88-89 (In America) Model Year cars with the 3.6, and even then the early 88s are a bit different than the later 88s

2) The 1990-1992 4.0L cars

3) The 93-94s

Your best bet for a parts car with a 94 is another 94 to be honest. 88 Radios only work in 88-90 cars, the way you can tell is if the radio has a "C19" button, that's to, I kid you not, listen to CB Channel 19. Starting with the 91 Model year Jag ditched that and went to a weather band and CD changer capable head unit. It's been a long time since I've messed with XJ40s but I think that the 93-94s do use a unique radio.

Good luck with the project, It'll be nice to see an XJ40 saved!

Oh, and I like how your 94 has the earlier style headlamps, they look so much better than the composites IMO. Also, FYI, from the pics your '94 has '93 wheels, is your car a 93 or a 94? 94s have a passenger airbag and no glovebox.

Bill

Old 06-01-2010, 07:07 AM

Hmmmm rld14, I have no idea where you got that I have a 94. My first Jaguar bought a month ago is a 1988 XJ6 with the 3.6. Then the parts car, which also is running, is a 1989 Jaguar XJ6 that happens to also be the same color as my 1988. They both have the 3.6L inline 6. They both have the digital dash instrument cluster but also have analog Speedometer and tachometer. The parts Jag has all the LED letters and pixels correctly working unlike my original car. There are a TON of other parts on the 89 that I need to transfer over to my 88. But no, unfortunately I don't have a 1994.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:18 PM

I have a 1994 XJ12 that I am stripping and parting out in order to run in Lemons in August. Are you still in need of anything?

Old 06-20-2010, 08:59 AM

That's a shame, those 94 XJ12's are few and far between. With that said, is the trunk lid white and rust free

Old 06-20-2010, 06:14 PM

I have a trunk, but it is black and the paint is rough. Let me know if you are interested in it.