XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Need help! Gas odor, Check engine light on...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks every one imput comments. The light indecator at top left corner indicated burned light bulb because I have one of the fog light bulb which was burned long time. I don't think that CEL light bulb burn because this is LCD indication, not filament bulb.
@ Midwestjag: I am kind of DIY man, so I want to do trouble shooting on the car as the best I can and then learn from that. Therefore, I don't bring it to the repair shop for diagnostice. The same question Midwestjag that is, where is the OBD connector or MIL connector? so I can plug scan tool instead of pertaining VMC.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:19 AM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestJag
Are there faults that will flag the CEL but not display a fault on the VCM? In other words, are there codes on these cars that can only be read by a code-reader at the shop?
I have re-read everything I have and it all says if a CE is triggered there will be a code. If memory serves me correctly I do believe his car will take a OBD1, the connector is under the dash drivers side. I can confirm this later today because I have the dreaded blower removal experience to tackle.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Zenidyle
The light indecator at top left corner indicated burned light bulb because I have one of the fog light bulb which was burned long time.
Yup, those pesky HE2 fog bulbs will do it every time.

You are correct, the bulb out wouldn't trigger the CEL.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:46 PM

Hello All,

OK, I checked all over under dashboard of driver site but could not find OBD1 connector. I had been done reading over emission system manual book, no where say OBD connector exception it said this vehicle self-diagnosis ssytem faulty code. So anyways, next year I am going to do trouble shooting to check the step-by-step all over emission system.

Merry Christmas and happy new year to all Jaguarers.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:40 AM

Ok, you rebuild my blowers and I'll fix your CEL, deal?

Old 12-25-2012, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by mrtalkradio
Ok, you rebuild my blowers and I'll fix your CEL, deal?
OK, sure but how come?

Old 09-02-2016, 10:16 AM

Hello Jag (classic Jag),

It's been little while, I come back forum because my Jag seat in garage for 4 years. Now I decide to bring it up for fun ride and enjoy classic style.
Here is things I have done over weekend: clean up, change fog light, new battery, charge freon, new stereo JVC with Bluetooth because original doesn't out put sound, don't know why.... Crank it up, car run and drive smooth, love it!

My question need Jagforums help: Check engine light is still on but no code display. Is there any trick to clear this stupid light?

Old 09-02-2016, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Welcome back Zenidyle!

Just re-read this thread and I still can't understand why your display doesn't show the failure code other than the remote possibility that there is an issue with either the LCD/switch pack (VCM) button?

I'm guessing here, but possibly the "actual" code is stored in the car's computer and that the "message" is relayed to the LCD when the VCM button is energized ...so if that were the case, cleaning the connections at the VCM panel and at the harness plug of the main computer or any connections en route might be an idea. These LCD displays also plug in to a socket usually with about 20? or so pins and if one of them is duff or corroded that too may prevent the signal from passing to the display.

Failing that, the cars are well known for cold solder joints so my next step would be to reflow the solder in the VCM panel and if that doesn't do it, reflow the fuse boxes (can't hurt!!)

Good luck, nice to have you back, was nostalgic seeing the names of all the posters in this thread, each one, (including yourself!) being instrumental in helping me getting my Jag sorted out when I first opened the hood 4 years ago to see the total mystery that was the XJ40!!

all the best

Larry

The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-03-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 02:17 PM

Thanks Lawrence. I will check all these connectors and solder wires some time this weekend.

Just went to Meikene auto care for safety inspection got fail because all 4 tires are dry, cracking wall. Actually tires is still good threads , about 70% remain. By the time, asked them for CEL on, they said many cause for ECL on but it become classic, no need to do smoke check. He said if code doesn't display, usually gas cap but he have to do further for checking and charge for diagnostics.
I may invest some money on it with rear shocks, transmission filter, transmission fluid, gas cap, oxygen sensors up/downstream and tune up....

Old 09-02-2016, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Gas cap problem sounds like a great idea! Easy test too!

Could be related to the old smell issue too?

Larry

Old 09-02-2016, 03:00 PM

Lawrence,

Yes, I am also thinking same way. I will order a fuel cap and see if it solve the issue. Will update on forums.