XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

New member with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with a few questions

Hello everyone!
My name is Andy and I traded my dads 1994 xj40 with my merc for a while to switch things up for a bit. I have a few questions as I am away and the manuals are at my house. Could anybody explain to me how the climate controls work, possibly even scan the operation description out of their manual? What throws me off is the regular temperature control, and the little slider with a blue arrow and white arrow pointing to a face. Is this setting irrelevant to the cabin temperature selection?
The second question (and the last for now) is with the security/alarm system. I would REALLY appreciate if somebody could scan their security manual for me, as I have NO idea how to use it at all, and when I unlocked the door with the key it started beeping crazy at me (the keyfob batteries are low)
Thanks in advance!!! Andy

Old 07-23-2010, 04:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Hello,
To get your A/C to work , you can press A/C on and see little round red light .It also enables AUTO mode by default .
Regular temp control is an outdated version of digital ones , same principle only difference you don't have a LCD screen just like X300s do .
Blue arrow means more cool air blowing in your face , as you tilt it down to white , it gets warmer air to your face .

I will later check out my manual for you as to security function but it's a bit mind blowing lol . I mean should you press the button a few times within 5 secs or so , you could also turn your headlamps on .

Old 07-23-2010, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member

Hey, check your e-mail

Old 07-23-2010, 11:17 AM

Thanks a million! I hate to keep asking these stupid questions but I dont have a real good technical understanding of car electronics lol. The climate control is still throwing me off. I understand the ac button now, but what do I control, the face slider or the temp knob? If I set the temp knob to 70 should it not automatically control the temp of the air coming out of the vents, and for the slider to contradict what the system is trying to do does not make any sense to me.
Thanks for helping me!
BTW, I would look at the cars manual if I were home, and my dad is out of country on a business trip otherwise I would ask him.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:45 AM

Thanks a million for those scans!
Im still having a bit of confusion with the climate control system. I just dont understand why the face vents are not controlled with the main climate control system. So with the AC on I use the slider and not the knob? Or do I use it like my house thermostat and set it at 70 and let it control the interior on its own (then what is the point of the slider). Im sorry if im making this more complicated than it really is, I dont have the book with me and my dad is away on a business trip and I dont want to bug him about something that will take me not even five seconds to understand once I figure it out.
Thanks again, Andy

Old 07-23-2010, 11:55 AM

One more thing, sorry for all of these questions!
There appears to be three different windshield demist/deice settings. One at the 12:00 fan knob position, and two buttons. The 12:00 position and the first button (left) are the same icon. The second button (right) says demist which I understand, but what do you use to deice the windscreen? Do you turn the knob to the 12:00 position AND push the button, or is the button for the rear window?

Old 07-24-2010, 04:16 AM
Veteran Member

Hey, thanks and I am glad I could help you .
Of course, you will be asking questions since you wanna learn HOW TO things regarding your ride .
I will be e-mailing you about entire Climate Control Stuff . However prior to e-mailing you the stuff I will have my a cup of Coca Cola Zero (instad of a cup tea lol )
Actually, Jaguar did a detached settings for face and footwell area .In X300s and later cars you can use MODE function to distribute the air level , (face, face / footweel , footwell ) but in XJ40s they made a seperate control (slider ) for face .The principe is same as later cars .

In order to deice the screen pull the know to DEF . When DEFROST is selected the aircon system gives highest temp for efficient defosting as soon as possible and warm air is delivered to the front screen ,front side windows and fascia air vents .
DEFROST overrides all other contro panel settings which means you will no longer use A/C and cold air inside the car .

DEMIST :

It opens the front scren vents and useful in overcoming interior misting in cool humid conditions .
In warm humid conds operating DEMIST can result in condensation forming on the exterior of the windscreen with air conditioned vehicles .

In a nutshell, to deice the screen , just use DEFROST button and the front screen button that is located near DEMIST button .
With DEF selected, you can instantly hear fan noise is increasing because FAN will be using full power

I will be sending you more scans , check your e-mail again
Any more questions, please don't hesitate
Thanks

Old 07-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Hi XJ40driver.

No questions about modern car electronics are stupid ! I wish I knew more about them, being brought up in the analogue days with a wire for every electrical bit on the car. Air con is very complex nowadays because some years ago the auto air con industry tried to get clever and to it all automatically, only to find this didn't work in all situations, so the modern systems have overrides like DEFROST as CC systems dont seem to detect the screens need clearing, it needs a Mark 1 Eyeball to tell the system to clear it !!

Old 07-25-2010, 11:25 AM

I must say this has been the BEST forum I have ever used. I'm starting to like this car better than my brand new Mercedes, which is very nice dont get me wrong but there's just something about the Jaguar that makes it feel so "special" that no other car feels like. What surprises me though is the control layout on this old Jaguar compared to my new Mercedes. My car is full of buttons that for some reason I understood the minute I got the car, but the Jaguar has just a few buttons that I could not understand? Maybe there is just something different about German and British engineering.
Thanks again, Andy!

Old 07-25-2010, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Hey Caddie, if you have made some decent scans of AC etc, why not send them to my email and I will update the FAQ's where appropriate and put them onto my file server.

XJ40driver, continue with your questions they help us all to learn more.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

That's a good idea Translator . I will send them to your e-mail

Old 07-25-2010, 04:53 PM

Translator, Haha!
Well ok if you say so... what does the VCM button do on the trip computer?
Thanks!

Old 07-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member

VCM : Variable Conversion Method

In English , when you press the button you can have two choices of transforming your ride either Autobots or Decepticons

LOL , don't take seriously just joking
Well, VCM stands for VEHICLE CONDITION MONITOR , it basically gives you tell tale failures see thru the dash panel .
For ex : Fuse I , PAD

Old 07-26-2010, 02:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Hi guys, Caddie, files received OK 2 mails, I'll get to work on them shortly, many thanks.

XJ40, as above, for the VCM, can help point you in the right direction with a problem, especially when combined with the manual, which you don't have~!

Although if you punch the message into a search engine you will get a fair idea.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:35 AM
Veteran Member

That's nice thanks Translator. Should you notice anything is missing let me know

Old 07-28-2010, 04:02 PM

Cadillac, I notice you are a moderator. When I click on anything on the XJ40 FAQ page, it says "I dont have privileges to access this page". I am almost certain I activated my account, what could be going on?

Old 07-29-2010, 04:45 AM
Veteran Member

Hey XJ40,
You re a new member and you need minimum 10 posts to use all the forum features . As Translator's signature says (HERE ) , here is the link to the forum guideline
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22253

In order to sort the things out sooner then I will give you another link regarding to lift all the resctrictions .Only Admins have ability to manually make you become a full member .
My suggestion is please have a post the link below just like other members do therefore our admin will be seeing your message
Here's the link to contact our admin :
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...t=35504&page=5

Thanks