XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

New on/off switch found-'90 VDP Majestic

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New on/off switch found-'90 VDP Majestic

Hello all.
I found a switch inside the front center console armrest that has an on/off position. It's near the hinge of the cover in the rear. The car is a 1990 VDP Majestic. I thought maybe it was an alarm activation switch of some sort but it does not activate.Anyone know?
Also, does anyone know how to take out the door speakers? Is it necessary to remove the door panels? A future project is to replace the speakers without breaking things. I already replaced the two floor speakers with Virtual Reality Sound Labs (VR 3) 100 watt 4inch three way speakers because the originals were badly cracked. The new ones just popped in and they sound really good. The other speakers are not broken but I plan to eventually update those as well.
Finally, I have found that my rear fog lights activate with the headlights. When I turn on the switch for the rear fog lights the rear side markers come on. That's not right, is it? Is there some simple way to fix that?
By the way, a new fuel pump, fuel filter and relay fixed my original issue. Now the car is an absolute joy to drive. I have Jag fever again. This is my fifth Jag and I want another one.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Hello,
Yep ,what you described inside the armrest console is Security button that just activates / deactivates the alarm
As I recall, you need to remove the door panels to access the door speakers but that can be another way of it though
That's true , only way to light up your rear fog lamps is to activate the front headlamps (with your headlamps your rear lights come on as well )

Old 01-04-2010, 01:52 PM
Default Alarm? What alarm?

Cadillac,
Thanks for the fast response. So, how would I set the alarm? I would like to hear it just once.
If I must take off the door panels that project will wait for a while. The sound system is adequate for now.
But getting back to the lights.Something is amiss. It's been five years or so since I had my last XJ40.That one was the base model and had no front fogs. When turning on the headlights the rear tail lights and the side markers would go on also but nothing else.In this case ( the Majestic) the heads,front side markers, tails and the rear fogs come on with the headlight switch in the second position. I don't actually touch the rear fog switch.The rear side markers remain off. When I press the switch for the rear fogs (which are already on with the heads) the rear side markers turn on. That's the part I don't get, the part that is not right as I remember, no?
Apparently somebody wanted the rear fogs on all the time and it looks like a Christmas tree back there. I would like the rear fogs to only come on when it is actually foggy. Does that make sense?

Old 01-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

You just switch on the button and if you see some red lights above your dash after your doors locked then the alarm is set .
As for the rear fogs as the name states that it's a fog lamp and supposedly it has to be used at foggy conditions . Let's say in a rainy condition it would make the things worse by glaring eyes of the drivers behind you .
Back to the alarm I have a manual for my '93 but 93-94 cars are unique yours are totally different but I don't know if the procedure is same for setting the alarm

Old 01-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Default Rear fogs are the big problem.

Ok, I'll play with the alarm later. But as for the rear fogs, I can't turn them off if I have the headlights on. I know they're too bright under normal circumstances. Maybe that's a good thing. It might keep tailgaters back a bit. But I really want to control those lights and use them properly.

Last edited by skyzzics; 01-05-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

This may seem obvious but are you sure that you haven't got the lights mixed up? In terms of your description, that is. Do a quick visual check of the bulbs, your fogs will be 21W, your sides/tails will be 5W and your stops 21W.

I agree with all of the above as regarding rear fog lights, they should be banned, there are few things worse than following someone with a red spotlight shinning in your face.

For your speaker replacement project, remove the door pannels as follows. It is very simple.

Screws, one behind the black plastic interior handle release. Carefully pop out the small square trim piece to reveal the screw. Remove and then pry out wood towards the front of the car. This will the reveal two or three screws on the top part of the door trim,remove and lift off trim. On front doors there is also a hidden screw under the rubber demist hose.

Prise out the red warning light cover to reveal a screw, remove.

Prise off the small cover in the center of the main handle (upwards) to reveal another screw, remove. Depending on your trim specification you might not have this, but you may have a couple of screws located under small plastic covers towards the ends of the main pull handle.

Now carefully prise off the pannel you will see an assortment of wires going to your speakers, disconnect the connectors.

That's it, you can now replace the speakers.

Total time for above about 10 mins. + speaker replacement.

As regards the alarm, that switch is the valet switch, the alarm is factory embeded into the main wiring loom, unless you have known good key fobs, leave it alone for now. If you do a search of the XJ6, XJ40, and XJS forums you will see why.

Best regards,

Old 01-05-2010, 10:07 PM

Translator,
Thank you for the instructions for door panel removal. I will file that away for the day I need to get in there for any reason like access to the speakers.
As for the fog light mystery, well the bulbs and sockets appear to be in their proper places. Actually the 5w bulbs and sockets for the side markers are a different diameter than the others so they can't be interchanged. So I'm thinking somewhere, someone switched connections between rear fog lights and rear side markers.So short of removing the rear fog bulbs and manually turning on the fog light switch to activate the rear side markers every time I turn on the headlights I don't know what else to do or where to look for those two connectors so I can change them back.
I'll try tracing the wires back if I can. Somewhere those two connectors are close to each other.
I have some other minor issues I will ask help on in another thread.
Thank you for your interest.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Re your fogs, that's a wierd one to be sure. I know the bulbs are different diameters, was just checking;-)

I would guess that if someone crossed the connections as you say (and I agree) then they most likely did this somewhere fairly accessible. Unfortunately I am under snow at the minute but when it clears I'll go have a look see on the 92.

Thinking around the light relay modules, in the trunk, but who knows.

You don't have a trailer tow hitch fitted by any chance?

Slts,

Old 01-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Default Fixed it--rear fogs that is.

Translator,
Thanks for the hint as to the place to look. I pulled the carpeting on the right side of the boot and under the antenna were two connectors. It was obvious. I spotted it right away. Black was connected to yellow and the other one was the opposite. I reconnected black to black and yellow to yellow and the right side was fixed. I pulled the carpeting on the left side expecting to see the same cross connections. But what I saw was yellow to yellow and black to black. So, I did the logical thing. I switched them-- yellow to black and the opposite on the second connection. Voila, fixed!. I now have rear side markers when I turn on the headlights and I can turn on the rear fogs at the dash switch as designed. I just don't know why the connectors are not color compatible on the left side, just as long as the result is positive.
Now on to the next puzzle.