XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Shady business

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 11:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shady business

Looking around the engine bay I noticed the vin # on the passenger side inner fender. I had read about it, but never really looked at it. The way it was applied got my attention, then I happen to notice that it was different.

So I checked it with the rest of the vin # locations and it was different. The first few digits and the last few are the same of the original, but the middle digits are odd and may have even been altered. It seems to me she's been wrecked and has some scars that they attempted to cover. If that's not shady enough, of course the car report shows no record of ever being in an accident and the "mystery vin#" isn't showing up in any systems thus far.

Does anyone know of any sites with Vin archives for Jaguar vehicles? Thanks for your time. Good evening.

Last edited by Roob0481; 03-05-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 789 Posts

that's Very interesting. Has the whole car been painted? Does the fender match exactly if it hasn't? It seems quite possible that the fender could be replaced, but the find the same car number seems unlikely at best.... Could the sequence numbers have been changed? "curiouser and curiouser"

Old 03-09-2016, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Roob0481
Looking around the engine bay I noticed the vin # on the passenger side inner fender. I had read about it, but never really looked at it. The way it was applied got my attention, then I happen to notice that it was different.

So I checked it with the rest of the vin # locations and it was different.

To clarify, you're talking about the VIN labels that appear on certain removable body panels, correct? Hood, fenders, trunk lid, etc

The first few digits and the last few are the same of the original, but the middle digits are odd and may have even been altered. It seems to me she's been wrecked and has some scars that they attempted to cover.
Yeah, if repairs are made using used parts they should (IMHO) just leave the labels as-is. No attempt should be made to disguise the truth. Altering the labels just adds suspicion.

If that's not shady enough, of course the car report shows no record of ever being in an accident
That, in and of itself, might not be shady. Not all repair shops belong/subscribe to Carfax or other similar services....or the repairs might've been made long before such history services were commonplace

and the "mystery vin#" isn't showing up in any systems thus far.
Again, that might not mean anything, for the same reasons as above

Does anyone know of any sites with Vin archives for Jaguar vehicles? Thanks for your time. Good evening.
None that I am aware of.

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 03-09-2016 at 10:50 PM. Reason: sp
The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Don B (03-09-2016), Roob0481 (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
To clarify, you're talking about the VIN labels that appear on certain removable body panels, correct? Hood, fenders, trunk lid, etc

Yeah, if repairs are made using used parts they should (IMHO) just leave the labels as-is. No attempt should be made to disguise the truth. Altering the labels just adds suspicion.

That, in and of itself, might not be shady. Not all repair shops belong/subscribe to Carfax or other similar services....or the repairs might've been made long before such history services were commonplace

Again, that might not mean anything, for the same reasons as above

None that I am aware of.

Cheers
DD
True on all accounts good sir. I read on another post (that I need to take time to find and quote) someone stating that the fender Vin # is normally different than the rest because it has the body type information included. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I'm still digging for some official confirmation or examples proving this. The search continues.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:34 PM
Received 300 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Roob0481
True on all accounts good sir. I read on another post (that I need to take time to find and quote) someone stating that the fender Vin # is normally different than the rest because it has the body type information included. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I'm still digging for some official confirmation or examples proving this. The search continues.
My 1992 has the full, accurate vin embossed on each front inner fender, and I believe the trunk lid has a label with the VIN and a barcode. I'll have to double check to be sure about the trunk though.

Nick

The following users liked this post:
Roob0481 (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by NTL1991
My 1992 has the full, accurate vin embossed on each front inner fender, and I believe the trunk lid has a label with the VIN and a barcode. I'll have to double check to be sure about the trunk though.

Nick
Exactly, that's what I read in the owners manual and there's definitely no mention of any variation on any areas. I would like to see pics of others vin # so I can compare to the one on my fender that looks like it was put on second hand.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 789 Posts

Here is a pic of my sticker. 94 xj6 right side back by the hood latch. Sorry it took so long

Attached Thumbnails Shady business-image-3470063826.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Roob0481 (03-29-2016)