XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Strange electrical problem.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 08:06 PM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Strange electrical problem.

I recently purchased 1993 XJ6 project in driving condition, and was attempting to replace the license plate light bulbs. I believe it shorted out on the trunk lid when I was removing them. After that I replaced the fuse, the lights came back on, but only on drivers side. So basically I have 1 drivers side plate light and one running light to the rear working, the passenger side plate light and running light do not get power to the wires at all. All other lights appear to be working. All fuses are fine unless there's some secret compartment I missed. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Thank you for any info.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:03 AM
Received 12,734 Likes on 6,378 Posts

Hi Mad_Russian,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

I'm heading to bed so I can't look at the schematics right now, but you can download the '93 Electrical Guide at this link:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...ec%20Guide.pdf

The manual contains all the schematics for your car, so you should be able to trace the wiring from the lamps back to their power sources and ground points. Note the symbols at the bottom of each schematic page that show you how to jump to other figures, and the pages before each schematic list components, relays, grounds and connectors and their locations. Also see the wiring Color Code chart near the front of the manual which will tell you that N means Brown and K means Pink and LG means Light Green, etc.

Please keep us informed, and when you can, please post an introduction in the New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum so we can learn something about you and your Jag and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 12-13-2015 at 12:07 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (12-15-2015), MountainMan (12-21-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 790 Posts

As usual, I have to play advocate of those short on logic (since it includes me). You're sure that the bulbs did not blow when the fuse went? And if you were replacing both plate bulbs, are you sure the socket in question was good before? Sorry I cant guess about the related running light other than to suggest checking the socket there too. Good luck.

Last edited by jerry_hoback; 12-13-2015 at 09:07 PM. Reason: punctuation
The following users liked this post:
Don B (12-13-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by jerry_hoback
As usual, I have to play advocate of those short on logic (since it includes me). You're sure that the bulbs did not blow when the fuse went? And if you were replacing both plate bulbs, are you sure the socket in question was good before? Sorry I cant guess about the related running light other than to suggest checking the socket there too. Good luck.
Don / Jerry - thanks for your help. I found the issue - the tail lights and license plate lights are split between right and left fuse boxes inside the car. I'm not sure why it was done, but there are 2 fuses that have to be replaced. So I changed them both and the lights are back on.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mad_Russian:
Don B (12-15-2015), jerry_hoback (12-15-2015)
Old 01-30-2016, 03:45 PM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Mad Russian, Glad to hear you sorted it out. There is one other thing you may want to keep in mind for future reference. The XJ40 has lamp monitor modules. I had a couple of tail lights that were working but the module said they had failed. Turns out there were black (old filaments) and were just weak. I replaced them and the error went away. I would imagine this module can also cause a light to be out since they appear to monitor current. If the internal resistor is bad the light will not work either. Just one of those things that appear to be unique to Jag. Nice to drive though.

The following 2 users liked this post by British Ride:
Don B (01-31-2016), Mad_Russian (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 09:02 AM

British Ride, thanks for the info! I just had a side marker go out, and I am pretty sure it was an original bulb installed by the manufacturer. So I will be replacing all the lights front and rear. It's good to know that a weak filament can cause a trouble on dash. I'll keep that in mind for future issues.