XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Sunroof trim panel removal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 11:07 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Sunroof trim panel removal?

So i'm battling headliner this weekend...

I just got the headliner out of my 89, and was able to turn the 10-12 clips that hold the sunroof trim panel to the sunroof, but what's the best way to access the trim panels to reattach it? It's easy to pull it off, as I cut the headliner and could access the bottom of the clips, but I'm not quite sure, or to what extent, I have to disassemble things to get to the area above the trim clips...

Beyond that, is it pretty much a necessity to use something thinner than 3/16 foam backed headliner for the sunroof trim? Sounds like people were having issues with their new headliner catching due to the thickness...

Thanks!
Pete

Old 08-24-2014, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To replace the sunroof panel. the sunroof will need to be removed. Its not difficult but you will need help. It is fairly heavy. Best way I found to remove it is to lay the seats down, remove the 10 to 12 bolts holding it to the roof, turn it sideways and caddy corner it out the passenger front door. The sunroof motor will come of with the frame, so no re-adjusting there. If I remember right, unscrew the top metal cover (visible painted sunroof portion from top of car) That is the only way to access the plastic clips for the trim panel. Currently own an 88 VDP, decided my upholstery headliner needed an update. Bought 5 yds. of black vinyl and hand sown it to the headliner/ moon roof. Tedious I have to admit but I love how it turned out. Unfortunately it took around 80-100 hours to complete. GL and keep posting. =)

Old 08-24-2014, 11:12 PM
Received 12,734 Likes on 6,378 Posts

Originally Posted by DayOff
I just got the headliner out of my 89, and was able to turn the 10-12 clips that hold the sunroof trim panel to the sunroof, but what's the best way to access the trim panels to reattach it? It's easy to pull it off, as I cut the headliner and could access the bottom of the clips, but I'm not quite sure, or to what extent, I have to disassemble things to get to the area above the trim clips...
Hi Pete,

You do not have to remove the sunroof mechanism to remove the sliding sunroof panel. See the instructions here:

JagFORUM Logon

Beyond that, is it pretty much a necessity to use something thinner than 3/16 foam backed headliner for the sunroof trim? Sounds like people were having issues with their new headliner catching due to the thickness...
Many owners have had trouble with binding after using the 3/16" foam-backed cloth on the sliding panel. I avoided the problem by buying some T-shirt type knit fabric without foam backing that matched the color of the headliner cloth (I got the headliner cloth and T-shirt knit at JoAnn Fabrics during one of their frequent 50% off sales). The T-shirt knit is thin so glue will soak right through it and show, so you want to do as Jaguar did originally and only apply glue on the top side of the inner sliding panel where it won't show. Stretch the T-shirt fabric slightly as you go - the underside of the panel that can be seen from inside the car has a raised lip around its edge and when the fabric is stretched just enough it looks nice and flat but has a little "give" to it.

I didn't photograph the entire process but in case they're helpful to anyone else, below is a link to photos of the headliner board recovering:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (08-26-2014), DayOff (08-27-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 10:57 AM

Thanks again Don, I'll perhaps make a run to JoAnn fabrics this weekend... I have some headliner material coming, the main part is 3/16 backing but they had some thinner 1/8 backing stuff that happened to match. It definitely looks much thinner to me...not just 1/16th different, but i'll take some measurements when I see the stuff in person.

I wonder if that will be sufficient/thin enough. I'll take a look at the instructions and see what I'm in for with the panel removal..don't mind trying it again if it's not going to require a big extravaganza and having to pull the rest of the headliner out of the car again...

Pete

Old 09-17-2014, 11:01 AM

Just an update on this project for all the future forum searchers...

I was able to pop my '89 sunroof upper body panel off fairly easily. Basically just opened it a bit, so I could get to the 4-5 screws that hold it in place...then close the sunroof a bit, enough to push it up slightly, then I pulled the panel towards the front of the car, so it disengages from the track that it's on....then it lifts right out. Just had to be carful not to scrape the body at the front of the sunroof...so I taped down some cardboard, but honestly,it probably didn't need anything that intense... as it came out and went back in fairly easily.

Pete

The following 2 users liked this post by DayOff:
93SB (09-18-2014), Lawrence (09-17-2014)