XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

trouble getting car started.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 02:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default trouble getting car started.

My son has a '91 XJ6 which was running fine until a few weeks ago when he drove it with little gas and it stalled going up a hill and then the battery died.
Replaced the battery and put gas in car but it will not start. Will spin but acts like it is not getting gas. Tried started fluid and it still did not want to start.
We have a repair manual and followed an tip on checking the pump in the tank and it did whrill for the 2 seconds that the tip stated it would. Which leads me to belive that it is something else.
Please advise as to further trouble shooting this problem.

Thanks,

Old 12-30-2013, 04:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Hi wpiland:

Welcome to the forum! It could be a number of things, so probably the best thing it to be patient and systematic and don't lose heart. In fact there's a current similar post just a few down from yours you might want to read to get started. Basically, folks suggested checking:
1. Inertia switch
2. fuel pump (you can check it further by jumping the pins of the relay socket - which on your '91 is located under the hood in front of the driver on the left)
3. The Crankshaft postion sensor.

All these things can cause the car not to start. Report back if/when you make progress! Best of luck,
Scott

Old 12-30-2013, 06:00 PM

Thanks Scott for the info, however where is the crankshaft position sensor?
What should I expect from jumping the pins of the relay socket?
I am trying to avoid paying a mechcanic to come out and get the car running.
Like I said it was running fine until the time my son let it run out of gas.
Thanks,

Old 12-30-2013, 07:57 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Since you suggest that your son ran out of fuel, I'd be leaning towards a clogged fuel filter. Chances are any built up crud residue in the bottom of the tank has been drawn up through the fuel system.

Replace the fuel filter and see if that fixes the problem.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:27 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Jagfix certainly has a good point. Something further to consider.

the CPS is located on the very front of the engine. Here's a picture I found online:
Aj6 Xjs Xj40 Crankshaft Position Sensor Photo by projectjaguar | Photobucket

I've never jumped a relay myself, but my understanding is that the pin numbers are generally located on the top of the relay itself. If you thus use a wire to connect the corresponding sockets the pump should run continuously. You'll need somebody to be standing at the rear of the vehicle to confirm that it runs, and I don't imagine that you'll want to do it for very long; but it will confirm that the pump itself is running. However, only a fuel pressure test will confirm that you have the required 40 psi at the fuel rail. It is also possible that the relay itself (a cheap fix!) could be bad. To confirm this, just swap one out for the time being from another non-essential system and see if that works. Other relays are also located in the engine compartment.

cheers,
Scott

The following users liked this post:
mrtalkradio (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 12:38 PM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

My best friend at it again? cps?

Old 01-01-2014, 03:27 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi all, I'd almost guarantee your problem is due to running out of fuel. Being an older car now and the position of the fuel filler you've probably got water in your tank at some time that causes it to rust on the inside, this sludge has probably been sucked up into your fuel system. It will clog your fuel pump possibly ruining it, block your fuel filter and if it got through you filter also block the tiny holes in your injectors. That said the best way to ckeck is to jump your pump relay as previously mentioned to see if it's pumping, then disconnect a fuel line in the engine bay and do the same to see if you have fuel flowing, be careful as the fuel line could be under pressure when you go to disconnect it. Doing this however will only tell you if you have fuel flowing not the pressure, you need a fuel pressure gauge for that.
Just remember it will pump the fuel at a decent pressure so direct the flow into something that will catch it.
To check the injectors your best bet is to take them out yourself and talk them to someone that can flush them or recondition them for you, it can be done at home but not really a diy job.
Have you pulled your spark plugs out and cleaned them? If you sucked water through your system than they will need cleaning.
One last idea, do you have a security system fitted, disconnecting the battery can activate the engine immobiliser.
Just a thought.
Troy

Old 01-01-2014, 08:32 PM
Talking Thanks,

I just want to thank everybody for your input about the car. I work longs hours and my next day off is Friday. I will trouble shoot this by following you guys information.
And Thanks again for the input. My Son will be very happy to get this car back on the road.

Wendell

Old 01-04-2014, 06:10 AM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Update?

Old 01-04-2014, 06:59 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i would go with blocked fuel filter too it suprising what crud gets sucked up

Old 01-09-2014, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible or Unheard of for a Fuel-Injected Car to run BETTER as it has more Gas

My 1985 Jaguar XJ6 SEEMS to run better on a "Full" Tank of Plus/Premium (I sometimes put in one sometimes the other to create an average of 89 and 93, keeping it around "90 or 91") than Not.. and ts Fuel Injected!

Old 01-12-2014, 08:36 AM
KMT
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wpiland,
Any luck yet?
If so, please post what did the trick.
Thanks,
Karl
'90 XJ40 4.0L

Old 01-12-2014, 05:32 PM
Smile Car is running

Replaced the fuel filter which is under the car in front of the left rear tire. Found the old one plugged up. Got real good fuel pressure.
Then had to replace the distributer cap and rooter due to not getting spark to the plug. did get spark from the coil before replacement.
The more I work on this car and talking with other owners I and my son are learning a lot about english made cars.
Son took it this weekend to college which is about 1 1/2 hr away from home but did great on the road. Will have to address any other issues as they arise. and start a notebook on its issues.

Thanks to everyone that has sumitted info on what to trouble shoot.

Wendell

The following 2 users liked this post by wpiland:
MidwestJag (01-12-2014), mrtalkradio (01-13-2014)