XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Upper Control Arm Bushing Movement

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Upper Control Arm Bushing Movement

I just replaced my upper bushings and have a problem with the passenger side arm.

On reinstall it was hard to get it in place, it was not wide enough so I had to give it a bit of a pry to get it in place. It should also be noted that the bushes in this arm came out relatively easy compared to the other side and new ones went in very easy. I would hazard to say too easy...

Now what happens when I make 100% turns I hear a loud clunk, inspection reveals that the control arm pops loose on the bushing and slides back about 1/4" to what is probably it's natural possition. It pops back to normal after straightening the wheels and driving.

So I was thinking maybe I switched the control arms (somewhat likely as I ran around with them for a bit.) Or maybe I forgot the shim numbers and messed that up (Unlikely as two of us noted the shim placement).

What would be the best route to fix this? My first instinct says to switch the arms and replace the slipping bushings. Or just buy a new arm?

Thanks

Old 01-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Another reply to an old post...

Your control arm is bent, that is the reason for the difficulty on reinstall. Also you may have bought aftermarket bushings, the cheaper ones are not made so well and the quality of the outer metal casing is inferior (soft) hence the ease of reinstallation. If you place the arm on a flat surface the face that mates to the ball joint should be on the same plane as the end the bushing pushes thru. The arms are a mild steel and can be bent with a good shop 10 ton press, the same one usually used to press in the bushings.

Good luck!