XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

VCM error code, as well as funky stall.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 11:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default VCM error code, as well as funky stall.

Hello!

1991 Jaguar XJ6
V6, 4.0L.
Left hand drive.

I got this car 2 weeks ago and had two strange stalls happen, I was driving to work and going down a hill and decelerating, as the RPM's lowered it died on me, power steering went and everything. I pulled over and it just started right back up again and has been fine until a couple days ago. I had the engine running with the hood open. I left the engine running and closed the hood, it stalled again and just died once the hood closed. I haven't drove it much since then as there is a water pump leak so i havent had a chance to see if it will happen more.
There was also an error code on the built in VCM for the car.

FUEL 14
FAIL 14

Im not sure if that is supposed to be two separate codes or FUEL FAIL 14? If anyone has a resource for the VCM readings that would be awesome.

Thanks!
Mathew

Old 10-01-2017, 04:58 AM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi Not sure if there is a way to search on this forum but go to the XJ40 site on here and there is a thread pertaining to this fuel fail 14, BTW the XJ40 is a straight 6 not V

The following users liked this post:
Don B (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 05:27 AM
GGG
Received 16,792 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by Hettle
1991 Jaguar XJ6
V6, 4.0L.
Left hand drive.
Mathew,

I've moved your thread from General Tech Help to XJ40 forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

I think you'll find it has a "straight 6" (inline 6 cylinder) engine and not a "V6" unless there has been an engine replacement

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 10-01-2017 at 05:30 AM.
Don B (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 08:59 AM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

I uploaded a .pdf copy of the AJ6 Engine Management Publication S_91.
It is here on this site and Gus will have it on his site for download.

bob

Old 10-01-2017, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by Robman25
Hi Not sure if there is a way to search on this forum
There are TWO search functions on this site, one is vehicle type specific, black toolbar, extreme right at top of thread list and top black toolbar that runs right across the page, just below the header, e.g.

User CP FAQ Community Calendar New Posts Search Quick Links Used CarsVendor Directory Log Out

your best bet for this fault and other VCM messages etc is the engine management pdf that Bob recommended.

You can get it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/szzac3...stic+Guide.pdf

Larry

Don B (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by Hettle
Im not sure if that is supposed to be two separate codes or FUEL FAIL 14?
It's just one code, VCM does that when displaying a code.

Larry

Don B (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 11:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for the replies, I will check all the resources you guys have posted.

thanks!

edit:

I've checked the resources and it looks like the coolant sensor is not working correctly.

Thank you for the help!

Last edited by Hettle; 10-01-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:34 PM
Received 12,732 Likes on 6,377 Posts

Hi Matthew,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums, and congratulations on your new Jaguar!

Bob mentioned Gus' website, which is jagrepair.com, and there is a lot of helpful documentation available there. Note that a lot of the XJ40 stuff is misfiled under the "XJ6 & XJ12" and "X300" links and maybe elsewhere.

In addition to the AJ6 Engine Management Systems manual, a couple of additional documents you will consult frequently are the Haynes XJ40 Repair Manual and the Electrical Guide, which you can download at the links below. The Haynes is a U.K. edition and is missing a couple of chapters, but with a few notable exceptions it is very accurate:

Haynes Jaguar XJ40 Repair Manual

Jaguar XJ40 Electrical Guide 1991

The last time I checked, the full XJ40 Workshop Manuals were still available on DVD-ROM from the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust (jaguarheritage.com), and the JDHT parts service website is a terrific place to look up part numbers and diagrams (jaguarclassicparts.com).

Regarding the engine coolant temperature sensor (CTS), they are known to fail, but problems with the electrical connector or wiring harness are also common, so it's worth checking visually for any problems like a broken or corroded connector, broken wires, etc. You can also test the resistance across the terminals of the sensor when the engine is cold, then again when it is warm, and compare the readings with the chart in the EMS manual. The CTS is on top of the thermostat housing and is the sensor with two wires. The other sensor is the sender for the coolant temperature gauge.

If the sensor fails at a high resistance or corrosion in the connector adds resistance to the circuit, the engine control module (ECM) will understand the engine to be cold and will continue to supply cold-start fuel enrichment even after the engine is warm, leading to rich running and potential stalling. If the wiring is shorted the ECM will understand the engine to be extremely hot and will also apply incorrect fueling.

The sensors are a type that was used on a lot of vehicles and they are widely available for less than $20.00 (check eBay). I personally recommend you find one with the large integral hex nut made of brass. Some have a hex nut made as part of the plastic body and I once had one of those that would not tighten sufficiently and leaked profusely.

Please keep us informed.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 10-01-2017 at 10:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
Lawrence (10-02-2017), MountainMan (10-10-2017)