Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1984 XJ6

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 XJ6

Hi all,
I am in need of some advice from people who are into classic jags. I came across an '84 XJ6 that had been sitting in a barn for quite a few years. The owner sold it to a friend who in turn sold it to my brother. We were going to use it just as a cruiser but upon further inspection, there are a few mechanical problems with the car. It will need probably about 2k to be put into to it to make it immaculate. The car runs fine now, but really needs to be in the care of someone who has the time to baby it. It has 110k on it, all electric functions work (power windows, locks, etc.) and the paint is in excellent condition from being in the dark for so long. It is British racing green with the biscuit interior. So my question is what is a respectable asking price for this car. There seems to be a vast difference in these cars depending on the mileage and wear and tear. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:08 PM
Received 627 Likes on 321 Posts

Sounds nice. Did you check Hagerty price guide? It gives descriptions of 4 different conditions, price trends, etc. In my experience it seems to estimate a little high, at least for here in Ohio. You can always use a printout of their report as substantiation for your asking price. XJ6s don't seem to sell quickly so just be patient.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

lately I have seen an increase in asking prices most everywhere.

the 1984 models were very reliable thanks to the quality standards that Sir John Egan brought to Jaguar, he was recruited by Aston Martin for the good work he did at Jaguar.

I would say it all depends on condition. If there are serious problems, the price goes down. If there is no rust the price goes up. If the headliner fabric is collapsed the price goes down, if the front seats are shot the price goes down. If the transmission and engine are good, the price goes up. If the paint is good the price goes up. Etc. Etc.

A good starting number in my opinion for a running 1984 is $3,500.00 at the present time.
Expect around $2,300.00 at best. The market is still down for classic Jaguars.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:27 PM

Jose has some good points. When I see a XJ6 advertised I have two questions: is there bubbling (under the paint rust) below the windshield or back window and does the headliner look good. If either doesn't look good I am not interested. If both are good, be sure to say so in your ad to justify a higher price.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmos7
It will need probably about 2k to be put into to it to make it immaculate.
Hmmm. No way do I wish to rain on any parade . . . especially as you sound quite prepared to diy much of the work, but . . . and there is a HUGE BUT . . . please do not underestimate the costs of maintenance, let alone repairs and replacements for these classic Jaguars. What may appear immaculate in a 30yo car may only be skin deep . . . and fixing the "innards" can be pricey.

Were you into this for the long haul - ie keeping the car for yourself and, over time, bringing it up to a genuinely immaculate and (more important) a genuinely reliable classic Jag, I would shower you with encouragement to go for it with no holds barred. But . . . as a fast way to turn a buck . . . be very, very careful.

As an example should it need it, $2K would not even replace some vital brake components like rotors, pads and seals . . . and having laid up for years, you must assume they will be suspect. Nearby threads here point to any number of "niggles" that end up being expensive repairs.

On a personal front, I bought my "immaculate" Series III XJ6 for $7,500 just a year ago . . . and it would want to be immaculate . . . it came with fully itemized receipts for over $18,000 worth of parts & labour. That's a turnaround "investment" I could never afford. Yes, the car is magnificent, but still not perfect . . . and after a full year, I reckon I'm no more than 2 or 3 more from being satisfied.

So . . . my recommendation? Buy it and keep it. Spend what it takes to get it immaculate . . . love it and pamper it! Be noticed when you cruise the boulevard. If that doesn't interest you, then imho, walk away.

Best wishes,

Ken

Old 09-10-2017, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Add to that, "What he said!"
My car *Looked* immaculate when she came to live with us, the Previous owner having poured in excess of $30,000 into the car before we bought it for a mere fraction of that (we have documentation), but it had sat unused for 10 years! Those idle years took their toll. To make her reliable, drivable, and most of all *Safe* on the open road took several months of fairly steady, sometimes intense work and a Lot of money.

Any car that has sat unused for that long (there was a reason they parked it, probably more than one) probably needs a complete front suspension re-bush besides all new brake components Ken mentions, and whatever other little odds, ends and surprises one encounters along the way; some (most) of which will be quite nasty and/or expensive. At some point (maybe more than once) you'll want to put a bomb in the gas tank, light the fuse and walk away.

As Ken notes about his, mine isn't perfect either, and at this point we're Very much in "for the long haul," but one Must do this for the love of the craft and love of the car and ditch any idea of making a profit.

As Ken says, if this isn't what you're looking for, you should walk away Now and save yourself a boat load of grief.
(';')

The following users liked this post:
cat_as_trophy (09-10-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 10:57 AM

If I may offer another opinion, you probably won't make much profit "flipping" the car but that is not to say you won't be doing the hobby a favor if you save it from neglect, get it running, and sell it to someone who will properly care for it. Just don't sell it to some young person who is strapped for cash. The car will eventually need repair, they won't be able to afford it, and unfortunately, as sometimes happens, it will wind up being crushed.