XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1986 Vanden Plas shift console wood removal

Old 03-20-2019, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 Vanden Plas shift console wood removal

I am the original owner of a 1986 XJ6 Vanden Plas. It is fairly pristine as I had a bare metal take down and respray several years ago. The dash is perfect, but the wood veneer on the shift console has cracked and i want to have it refinished.
How hard is the removal of the piece to be refinished? Can I do this myself? I am fairly handy, but I don't want to screw this up.
Any suggestions how to handle this? Car is a garage queen and had 58K miles on it. I love this car and had it in the shop for a good going over.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

Very nice car!

it is very easy. you need a phillips screwdriver to remove 1 screw at the front top of the "ski slope", then you need to remove 6 tiny phillips screws at the plastic Tray under the center console Lid. Then you need a flat screwdriver to remove the two chromed screws at the Lid Hinge.

Remove the Lid complete with Lid Stay. Pull the Lid Catch and Tray carefully so it doesn't crack. The Catch MIGHT break, you have to pry it out. If it breaks, go to an appliance store and buy a Clothes Dryer Catch, same thing. Details in my website.

Now you can look BEHIND the "ski slope" with a flashlight where all the Switches for the 4 windows, sunroof, and "valet switch" are connected.

Pull one connector at a time from each switch and label it like "rear, passenger side window switch", "sunroof switch", etc. They are easy to pull but I recommend you also label the TOP of each switch as "TOP".

The Valet Switch has two wires connected, you can label those as you need. Then remove the Shifter's Knobs by unscrewing them in opposite directions of each other, i.e., grab one half with one hand, grab the other with other hand, and turn them loose.

The panel will come out with all the switches, you remove the switches after the panel is out. And That's it.

Note: the 5 window and sunroof switches are all the same, does not matter if their original location is changed.

Last edited by Jose; 03-21-2019 at 09:03 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jose:
Andy Paine (03-24-2019), coloniamick (03-22-2019), David84XJ6 (03-21-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 03:23 PM
Received 617 Likes on 319 Posts

A couple more notes. Jose's instructions are good but since you have an 86 VDP I assume the crack is in piece I call the shifter console and not the piece that holds the window switches, etc. The first and most important step is to disconnect the negative battery cable. Next, make up some labels on tape to mark the wires. For example, make a label that says "drivers window". Then when you start to unplug the switches you can label them. I assume you have a two part panel with the switch part possibly covered in vynal and the part with the ashtrays wood. Right before you start unplugging the switches pull out the ashtrays and look for screws under them. After the switches etc are loose the whole thing can be wiggled and lifted out.

When you get it refinished you want to make sure that it matches. I bought a series 3 once and the previous owner had that panel redone and it did not come close to matching the rest of the woodwork. Best if the person doing the refinishing can see the car in person. The good news is the modern equivalent of varnish or shellac are much more resistant to cracking.

Jeff

Old 03-22-2019, 05:26 PM

I appreciate the detailed instructions. I will give it a go.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:30 PM

Thanks, you have described it exactly. There is no ski slope, and the panel with the switches are plastic. One question. the screws that hold the ash trays. do you unscrew them after the wood panel is removed?

Old 03-22-2019, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

you can, but it is not absolutely neccesary, the ashtrays can come out with the panel. In fact, to reinstall the panel you need to pre-install the ashtrays because of the way the bracket under the ashtray screws to the ashtray. It would be almost impossible to reinstall the ashtrays with the panel in place.

what you say is plastic, is a black vinyl covered metal slope with the switches in it?

funny, in my '84 the panel is one complete piece bent or angled at the ski slope.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:36 PM

Yes, take the ashtrays out before removing the panel looking for screws. the different years used different methods of securing the panel. Screws, hidden clips, etc. Remove all screws you can find, pull gently, wiggle, etc and it should come out. Just be patient and work with it. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
coloniamick (03-23-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member

I thought the Series 2 up to 1979 had the two-piece panel, one panel for the shifter surround, one panel for the slope switches.

if the 1986 has the two piece panel, then removal of the vinyl-covered switches / slope panel is a different procedure. There are 4 pins, one on each corner of the slope panel, held by either plastic or metal ferrules. Removing those ferrules is a p.i.t.a.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I've done this a few times on my 83.

1. I got some extra switches from eBay. They came in a small panel??? Part ofd a two piece unit?
2. I disconnected the switches and located the plugs for a reconnect. LF, front and lefty. Right rear, back and right in the cavity. ,worked well, except for one time. switch in b';wards. reverse operation. I almost left t that way, but went back in and fixed it.
3. The teeny screws are probably POZI, but Phillips driver works.
4. I used two pans. One for the bits and the tools that remained in the car. And the other to the bench to work over. Tiny bits not lost!!!

5. One switch innards were busted beyond any fix...No matter, I had spares..

Aye, my slope is tin covered or painted... black.

Carl . .

Old 03-25-2019, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by JagCad
I've done this a few times on my 83.

1. I got some extra switches from eBay. They came in a small panel??? Part ofd a two piece unit?
2. I disconnected the switches and located the plugs for a reconnect. LF, front and lefty. Right rear, back and right in the cavity. ,worked well, except for one time. switch in b';wards. reverse operation. I almost left t that way, but went back in and fixed it.
3. The teeny screws are probably POZI, but Phillips driver works.
4. I used two pans. One for the bits and the tools that remained in the car. And the other to the bench to work over. Tiny bits not lost!!!

5. One switch innards were busted beyond any fix...No matter, I had spares..

Aye, my slope is tin covered or painted... black.

Carl . .
I'm beginning to think a trip to the local Jag dealer to do this when its time is the safest way to go. Sounds like Jaguar assembly varies depending on when an engineering change is made, which is often.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:12 PM

You can do this. Do you want some kid who was born decades after the car was built trying to do it? Most of us are just shadetree mechanics that didn't know how to do it the first time we did it. I think some of what Carl was talking about was taking apart the actual switches which you don't need to do. Just re-read all of our comments and take your time. You'll do just fine and feel good about accomplishing it. If something breaks just contact David at everydayxj.com and he'll send you a replacement part for very little money.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:40 PM

As a matter of fact, I have ordered new wood for my 87 which is like yours and I'm going to be replacing that piece. I'll make you a little video of the steps and tricks for doing this. Once you see it done you'll be able to get yours out in 15 minutes.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:44 AM
Received 222 Likes on 120 Posts

I'd love to see that video Yellow! I too am a bit intimidated with removing that panel. I got half way through and stalled for fear of breakage.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member

found this switch panel in my Series 2 parts. It shows 2 of the 4 mounting Pins on the rear. The other 2 are behind the top switches.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

For sure, a DIY ! Fiddly, but only slightly. Aye, I included servicing of the switches.
A bit fiddly, but on the bench not bad at all.

I don't want to think of the $'s involved using a Jag dealer. The guys that did these cars are retired. You will get a newbie as far as this car is concerned. talewnted, I;'m sure, but still .

Carl

Old 03-26-2019, 10:43 AM

That would be great, and I would really appreciate it. I'll post a pic of the dash wood to show how it has held up well.