Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1986 XJ6 VDP vs 1992 XJ12 VDP

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 01:39 PM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Default 1986 XJ6 VDP vs 1992 XJ12 VDP

Hi

I found myself thinking about purchasing one of these two cars and would love your input.

The first one is a 1986 XJ6 VDP 38 k original owner ,very good condition for 6k dollars,the car is mint. seats never redyed ,original paint ( A typical windshield rust spot was fixed in 2010 ),and the carpet is also original. History and of the car is also provided

The second one

1992 XJ12 (Canadian) 66k miles for 8k dollars in very good condition too

(that is according to the owner ) ,Black Cherry, original paint and owner. History of the car also provided.

I don't know much about the 1992 V12 reliability so a bit hesitant. Importing a car from Canada could be a problem as I live in California and I'm worried about the car passing our tough smog check.

Which one could be a better buy ?

Thank you

Old 07-19-2016, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Importing the V12 is quite doable. More than a few (including mine) have come down from Canada. Look up Gregory Andrachuk. He has bought/sold/exported quite a few of them. He goes under "Sov V12" or something like that on this forum.

Unless modified it'll have the right emissions equipment to meet Cali standards. Whether it'll actually pass the test is another matter.

Be extra cautious of rust on the Canadian cars.

The V12 Series IIIs are fabulous but many are neglected. With some money and love these cars can be quite reliable but, if like most, will need a fair of remedial attention.

Same applies to the 6-cylinder cars, really, but they are less intimidating to work on. And less rewarding.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Terry007 (07-19-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Terry:

The V12 cars are every bit as reliable as the 6 cylinder cars - there is really very little to go wrong, the only weak point being the module in the ignition amplifier ( the module is made by GM and is the same one as used on the 6 cylinder car) . The module is not expensive and can be replaced very easily in 15 minutes by the owner. Apart from that, a well-maintained V12 is good for 300,000 miles. But it is true, as Doug says, that they can be more expensive to maintain - but not extravagantly so. And the rewards are great.
Regarding rust, a car from eastern Canada might have rust. A car from the Vancouver/Victoria area will not - except that any Series III car can get some corrosion at the front or rear screen area.
A well- tuned Canadian V12 meets every US emissions requirement including those of California.

Terry007 (07-19-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Given the choice described and that the two cars are in similarly maintained condition, the price would be the last consideration.
If priced similarly and in the budget, the V12 wins.

Both cars are classic, the V12 merely classicer. (word fun).
A bonus would be if the V12 had passed through Dr. Gregory's more
than capable hands.

He might even have some history on it!

Only a very few were made. all went to Canada.

Yeah, a past lister acquired one. Cheap (?) I hope as it was ridden with rust and neglect. Sad.... I hope Mark has persisted and made something of it.

Carl.

Mark Scotton (07-12-2017)
Old 07-20-2016, 06:36 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

If both cars were equal in every respect (which I would doubt), the 12cyl seems like the better buy. I do think if there's going to be any long term value in a Series III, the rarity of the 12cyl, especially in the US would probably support a strong value. Plus that V12 is so sweet!!

If you're considering as an investment, then the V12
For a daily or near daily driver, aren't as handy, and drive slow (like me), then I might just go for the Vanden Plas

That said, I would very much scrutinize the "good condition" stated on the cars. As an example, I purchased an 86 Vanden Plas with similar mileage that I would describe as excellent, downright pristine. The sheer age and vintage of our cars meant however, that substantial servicing was still needed to make the car truly reliable. Nothing catastrophic mind you, but not cheap either. I went through a brief period sorting everything out, more so because I actually drive the car regularly.

If either one of these examples had significant recent service, I would definitely place heavy consideration on that.

My priorities are always in this order: 1. No rust, learned that the hard way! 2. well kept Cosmetics (hate sourcing trim items on older cars and paint it pricey), 3. Mechanicals (I'll handle many DIY and have a good mechanic on call and good parts supply, so less intimidating) 4. service records or obvious appearance of service (used to swear by records until I had a benz with impeccable ones that was a total rat)and 5. low mileage, which I'll overlook with extensive recent service, but if you buy low miles, you end up selling low miles, which is always easier.

In the end though, what a fun decision to have!!!!! Maybe do both and call it a day! :-)

Old 07-12-2017, 10:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
Given the choice described and that the two cars are in similarly maintained condition, the price would be the last consideration.
If priced similarly and in the budget, the V12 wins.

Both cars are classic, the V12 merely classicer. (word fun).
A bonus would be if the V12 had passed through Dr. Gregory's more
than capable hands.

He might even have some history on it!

Only a very few were made. all went to Canada.

Yeah, a past lister acquired one. Cheap (?) I hope as it was ridden with rust and neglect. Sad.... I hope Mark has persisted and made something of it.

Carl.
Hi Carl, That would be Number 19. And yes I do still have it.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Mark:

Great to hear from you. doing well, I trust. And how about # 19? As I recall, it was a challenge, but indeed, a worthy one.

My lump is aging well. Coco, my rescue dog, and I as well!!!!

Even my daughter refers to me as a "tough old Macho dude". As to others, the last two not seen by her as desirable???

Regards.

Carl

ronbros (07-13-2017)