Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 XJ6 with the Shakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts
Default RE: 1993 XJ6 with the Shakes

hi, what do you mean "shaking"? When drivingat normal speeds? Or at Certain speeds? It could be the tires out-of-balance, or a bent wheelbut that's rare. Sometimes the tires get "flat spots" fromthe car sitting, and that could be interpreted as shaking until the tires are driven enough to re-round themselves.

Shakes when applying the brakes? warped discs. Sometimes they can be re-surfaced.

If it was the Bushings, you would most likely hear some metal-to-metal contact noises. Is it making scratchy noises in certain places? I doubt it's bushings.

Has anyone checked the power steering Fluid? maybe it's low. If the steering is abnormally hard, has anybody checked the front Tire Air Pressures? Is the Power Steering Belt properly tightened? Any fluid leaks? Have the Tie Rods been checked for lube?

what I would suggest is to take the car to a Jaguar mechanic for an inspection and estimate before you buy it. Everybody does that before they buy a car.
If the mechanic finds other things to repair, you might negotiate the price down, but the inspection-before-you-buy is on you.

Actually I find theprice a bit high since they are sellingunder $1,500.00 at auctions all over.

Good luck.
Jose

Old 09-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member

my friend in the car auction business tells me that Jaguar XJ from 2000-2003 are selling for about $1,500.00 at auctions. talk about a little low! They usually have a problem or two, the reason they were abandoned by their owners, it's cheaper to get rid of the car than to fix it.

It's very sad, but ourJags are worth little in the marketplace.The only high-end cars holding their value are Mercedes, then BMW, then Infiniti/Lexus.That's fine, I still love my Jags, no matter what they are worth because I am not selling them.Of course everything changes, tomorrow might be different. I am talking about modern Jags, not the old classics.

If it shakes at 60, but not at 59 or at 61+, then it's definitely a tire balance matter.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member

thanks for asking my opinion; I would not buy a car through eBay without inspecting it in person myself. If you get burned, eBay will not beof any help because they make their money from the Seller, so they don't want to kill thegoose that lays the golden eggs. I don't advise buying big ticket items at eBay.

Your local area will provide afair number of Private Seller examples to choose from,which you can inspect personally and negotiate prices directly with the Seller.Remember that you are buying someone else's car problems, just THINK: why would anybody want to sell their car if it istrouble-free?

Also:don't rush into buying; Those who do, always pay$$$ for their anxiety; Look atmany cars first,then make an informed decision.

For example, I spent 9 years looking for a pristine, 1960's, Jaguar 'S type'.
I travelled East, South, North, following leads which always turned out to be a total dissapointment, mostly rust buckets, the "it's all there" varieties, the "it was running whenthe original owner parked it there 20 years ago"......(amazing how people misrepresent what they are selling!)

On the 10th year, I found a pristine-conditionexample inCalifornia. Ihad a friend who lived nearby, and sent him on a spy-mission to inspect it and photograph it, test the waters, etc. After months of questions, negotiation, and pictures, I flew there myself for a final inspection and cash offer.That was the car I bought, my second Jag. I have not been dissapointed.

The bottom line: Decide what model Jag you want, stick to it, and Buy the BEST CAR that you can find of the model you decided to buy. You'll be happier later.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member

the car in that pictureis a Sedan XJ-40. The XJ-S is a two-seater "Sport" car, totally different body-style.

Note: the Vanden Plas and Sovereign models are the same cars asthe XJ-6 or XJ-40 "Base" model.They have a few different "luxury" accesories,different interior/exterior colors, badging, etc., otherwise identical to the "Base" model.

Also, I didn't know you were in California. Prices are always higher there, for anything. So it pays to shop-till-you-drop. All the "Modern" XJ (1988-onwards), have a common"Problem Area": they have many Digital Electronic Control Modules which are consistently a problem for owners. This is what I continuously read about in different forums.Different years show different problem areas but usually some control module is the culprit.

Don't let myopinions discourage you from buying what you want, justlook fora"choice" example of theXJyou want, ideallya 1-Owner carwith full Service Records and History.There are exceptions always. There are very meticulous owners out there who care for their cars. One of those cars is your target.

What surprises me is that nobody else has come forward with their opinions to help this buyer: 93xj6 ? Jim ? Ken ? for example, Ken works for aJaguar cars and parts business in Texas who hasmany of these cars for sale at any given time, it might pay off for you to fly to Houston and spend a day at Motorcars Ltd. looking and trying different XJ-40, andTexas prices arelower thanCalifornia prices. It's only a day's drive.

I'm going to wait and see what the other guys say.

Jose

Old 09-11-2007, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member

yes I do, you might talk to Ken at Motorcars Ltd., a Jaguar Cars and Parts business in Houston.I'm sure they have a nice selection of cars there for you to browse the whole day.While you are there, try to meet Phil Prince, he's considered "The Guru" of Jaguar TechniciansaroundJaguar Forums.A Master Mechanic,Phil wastrained by Jaguar too, and works at Motorcars Ltd. Ken runs the Parts Dept.
The reason I mention them is because they have been around for a long time and they have agood reputation. They also advertise here in this forum.

Again,test-drive as many examples as you can. These cars were essentially hand-assembled and someare put togetherbetter than others.

Again, I am surprisedKen hasn't shown his face in this thread, maybe he's on vacation...

also let me say that the reason I got into this thread is because you posted it in this section, which is really for the Series 3XJ-6, (1980½ to 1987).

A 1994 is a XJ-40 oficially, (a different section of the forum), though people still call them "XJ-6", since that's how the carstarted back in 1968. The old "I want aCoke" when youmight want a Pepsi.

but no sweat, I know a bit about the XJ-40 too from reading other's posts and from friends who own them, though myexperience iswith the Series 3 XJ-6, one which I have owned for 17 years now. I obviously love that car.

If you want to become an expert at the "Badging" of these cars, (XJ-6 as opposed to XJ-40, or to X-300, or to X-308), look at the Production FiguresChart below to understand how many of this or that model have been made from 1968 through the year 2000.

The chart below was composed by the Editor of Jaguar World Magazine,Paul Skilleter, a veteran of Jaguar history. Some peopledisagree with some of the figures shown, {specifically the early XJ-40 production figures} but I'm sure they are essentially correct, considering Mr. Skilleter's credentials. Also those figures arethe entire productionof Jaguars for the entire world.

regards,
Jose

[IMG]local://upfiles/1235/DB499B50A3254E9AB50B709340C6D6E0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  7.4 KB

ORIGINAL: Jose
What surprises me is that nobody else has come forward with their opinions to help this buyer: 93xj6 ? Jim ? Ken ?
Jose
Hi Jose,
I just wanted to say that, that sort of advice should come from serious knowledge, which from past experiences, I would say you have plenty of. Certainly much much more than myself, who has limited knowledge certainly of the older models in question.
So in this case, say nuthin and leave it to people like you who Know Jose!
Good luck with your search sirius, please keep us informed.

Jim

Old 09-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry, been just flat out run over with business the past couple of days. We don't sell cars, we strictly service and sell parts. You may want to try Texas Cars Direct in Dallas. www.texascarsdirect.com We are not affliated with them.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member

my apologies to Day, I thought Motorcars Ltd. sold cars, perhaps I got confused with the picture of the salvage cars lot....(there are hundreds of them).

Ok, Plan B: I'm thinking........

Old 09-13-2007, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

not just 2000 and over, but the models that nobody wants, like the XJ-8 (Eight)known to have serious engine problems, and the S and X types, basically a Ford Taurus in disguise. Just read the sections for thosemodels here.

And what's worse, they show a Mercedes Benz in place of a Jaguar! If they offer "Financing", the carsare overpriced. If it sounds too good to be true, it always is.

Keep searching, you will find the right car where least expected.Rushing into a purchase always leads to mistakes. Be selective and choosy and picky. It's your money and your peace of mind.