XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 questions guys-new allternator doesnt charge battery,Excessive moisture inside car

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 05:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 questions guys-new allternator doesnt charge battery,Excessive moisture inside car

Any help on this is greatly appreciated,the alternator is new and while using a test light,it shows power coming out of alternator,are these the right wires hook up and to where? Moisture inside of car so bad I need a towel to whipe windows every 10 min. I know these cars are from raining England But CMON lol

Old 11-13-2014, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts

I cannot answer alt question, as im not there with my test light, however moisture inside the car generally comes from one of 3 places, heater is leaking, ac condensate line blocked, or holes at windscreen and back glass! do you have rust bubbles at bottom corners of glass???? if so i would start there being as its winter and and no call for ac and you also dont mention losing coolant!! of course i could be wrong, its happened before! lol

Old 11-13-2014, 07:42 PM
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

All air entering the is dehumidified first, and then heated when needed. If AC is not working properly, it won't be dehumidified properly. Are you getting heat and is defrost setting on fan mode switch working as it should?

Old 11-13-2014, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Muskoka:

How are you determining that power is coming out of the alternator? there should be two wires on the backside. One large brown and another smaller one. the former s powered. But, as it goes to the battery post on the firewall, it will show volts even if the alternator is producing none. The smaller one goes to the dash light and acts as an exciter as well as a warning light. the alternator will "excite" itself sans that wire, but you have to rev the engine up a bit to do it. Hence, term, "one wire alternator".

I made a patch cord for my VOM. It allows me to connect it via the cigar lighter. I can read volts at various load and rpm conditions that way. Read the v's. Probably around 12, rev the engine and they should come up over 13 or so. If n ot, the alternator is bum or the wires are open somewhere.

As to condensation, just take a bit off with your finger. Sniff and feel. Gooey and sweet smelling? Heater matrix is leaking. Not good news.

Carl

Old 11-14-2014, 12:35 AM

Here's what I have on alternator for wires these right?

Attached Thumbnails 2 questions guys-new allternator doesnt charge battery,Excessive moisture inside car-img_0025.jpg  
Old 11-14-2014, 03:52 AM
Received 177 Likes on 87 Posts

This doesn't seem correct. I am missing a rather big lead towards the starter motor/battery. If this is the small black wire, I will just sit and wait to here your car burned down.

The smaller brown wire should read 12v when you turn on the ignition. This is a small current which is required by the alternator to work. It also is the wire for the control lamp on your dash.

The bigger wire should read about 14 volts when the engine is running.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:58 AM

TY I also though I have wrong wires hooked up but when we pulled the AC pump off didn't markk wires so we're guessing does anyone know which wires go where? I have a rather big black wire but thought that went to AC pump it also has a eyelit should this be the one to Alt?

Old 11-14-2014, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quit guessing. Look for S57 Jaguar schematics book. If you can't track one down, PM me and I'll scan a page or two from mine for you. Mine is handy, I'm tracking the starter circuit on mine. A bit more complex as it is a lump!

Carl

Old 11-14-2014, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Muskoka Jaguar
TY I also though I have wrong wires hooked up but when we pulled the AC pump off didn't markk wires so we're guessing does anyone know which wires go where? I have a rather big black wire but thought that went to AC pump it also has a eyelit should this be the one to Alt?

What year and engine?

Cheers
DD

Old 11-14-2014, 12:39 PM

1986 XJ6 Sovereign

Old 11-14-2014, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member

OK! Similar to mine as it once was. The S57 schematic is a must.

Carl

Old 11-14-2014, 03:50 PM
Received 134 Likes on 100 Posts

Pardon my ignorance - what is a S 57 schematic?

Old 11-14-2014, 04:55 PM
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by littlelic69
Pardon my ignorance - what is a S 57 schematic?
Wiring diagram book for Series 3 XJ6. Never leave home without it. A must for any Jaguar owner.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:24 AM

Update on probs TY guys I now have charging of the battery,BUT lol the red battery light stays on I did unplug trigger wire which turns out light but then it doesn't charge ughhhh, now onto the moisture prob there is a copper hose that got cut off and is exposed on firewall,it was connected to AC pump at one time I will plug hole see if this causes less moisture,Also guy the wipers on this car are slooooow is this normal? Tks in advance. Tom

Old 11-15-2014, 04:25 AM

Ps Wilfred it WAS the big black wire that was NOT on alternator lol tks again.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:40 AM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Update on probs TY guys I now have charging of the battery,BUT lol the red battery light stays on I did unplug trigger wire which turns out light but then it doesn't charge ughhhh, now onto the moisture prob there is a copper hose that got cut off and is exposed on firewall,it was connected to AC pump at one time I will plug hole see if this causes less moisture,Also guy the wipers on this car are slooooow is this normal? Tks in advance. Tom
If you ran the engine without the main charge wire/ cable (big black one you referred to?) You may have damaged the rectifier pack inside the alternator.

Lift the front carpets and check for damp. If it's the same as the xjs aircon system there should be a couple of drain pipes which can get blocked. If not check where the condensation drains are for the aircon and make sure they are clear.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:28 AM

In picture is the rectifier what the Blue wire goes to? It's the rusty piece I had to take off old alternator or should have I even put this on the new one? Here's pics of what I'm seeing on dash lights now thanks in advance. Tom

Old 11-15-2014, 07:34 AM

Here's pics

Attached Thumbnails 2 questions guys-new allternator doesnt charge battery,Excessive moisture inside car-img_20141115_081126.jpg   2 questions guys-new allternator doesnt charge battery,Excessive moisture inside car-img_20141115_081002.jpg  
Old 11-15-2014, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

In picture is the rectifier what the Blue wire goes to? It's the rusty piece I had to take off old alternator or should have I even put this on the new one? Here's pics of what I'm seeing on dash lights now thanks in advance. Tom

The rectifier is inside the alternator.

Looks like you might have a Motorola alternator. Is that correct?

The wire colors you've mentioned and shown in the pics do not match what a person would usually expect to see on a Ser III nor what is shown in the S57. Perhaps because you have a non-USA car and the S57 applies to USA models.

If the warning light stays on it could be a damaged rectifier, yes.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-15-2014, 09:29 AM

it possible I once again have the wires from AC pump hooked up to alternator? What color should the smalll wires be on Alt?

Quick Reply: 2 questions guys-new allternator doesnt charge battery,Excessive moisture inside car