XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

85' Jag XJ6...To buy or not to buy?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

I had a 1980 XJ6 for 14 years, and it was a dream to drive around in, but a nightmare to keep running and reliable. A 1985 is one of the last, and is better built, but not much !
The main issue is that the car is 25 years old and hence unless serviced correctly and has has appropriate repairs to worn out components, it is likely to need an absolute shedload of money spending on it.

You really MUST view the car before buying, and also drive it. Biggest problem on these cars is RUST. The bodies rust badly as rust prevention measures were not very good, even downright poor. For instance the bad design of the front screen fitment means the channel rusts out. There is so much that rusts, it would need a book to describe. However, if you are good a DIY and know how to use a MIG welder, you can always do quite a lot of repairs yourself.

The goodside is that there are no digital electronics, although there is a fuel injector ECU, but it is all analogue and discrete components. Most things on the car are simple, and reasonably easy to repair. Parts are available and cheap, but body panels will be getting rarer; they were freely available when I did my bodywork in 1992.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Such a deal I have for you!

I am trying to find a home for a '90 XJS 12 cylinder that is sitting, unloved, in the woods. This is a really clean Atlanta car and for 20 years old is in great shape with little sign of rust. It sat for several years prior to an estate sale but has been driven at least regularly enough to keep the battery charged for the past year. Leather interior in very good shape.

I have pictures if anyone is interested. There is no benefit to me other than finding a good home for a little orphan.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Most of the electrical problems are not that hard to sort out if you have some patience and like to tinker a bit.

I don't know what your expectations are but Fraser's right .... be ready to open your wallet when you buy 25 y/o used cars. At this point any problems are gonna have a LOT more to do with how badly the car has been neglected than with the original design or engineering.

Fully functional heating and a/c are is a real "plus" because the system is rather complicated to sort out. Proof that the rear discs and calipers have been replaced is another "plus"....lots of labor.

As with any other used car you'll wanna check for major fluid leaks, overheating, transmission shifting, etc.

Most repairs are well within the realm of a decent DIY father and son team and parts support is very good....and most parts are reasonably priced.

Great cars once you sort out all the things that have been neglected. Built like a tank and drive like velvet :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 06-01-2010, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Doug is certainly right on
Built like a tank and drive like velvet
. I just loved driving my XJ6, in fact I took it to Ireland for two holidays in preference to my main car, (a Mazda Xedos).

The basis of the car is the XJ6 of 1968. The Series 3 was a slightly restyled version from 1979, with fuel injection added to the engine, but most of the car is identical. If you are confident, then go ahead, but believe me, you will find a lot to do. It can be very satisfying bringing old cars like these back to life. I have to say, though, that $1000 seems an awful lot, unless the seller can prove he has maintained the car properly with bills for work and parts.

Key thing to buy if you buy the car is the workshop manual. They are still available on the internet. If you can also get the parts book this will also be very usefull as it has pictures of all the subassemblies