XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjusting fuel tank sending unit arms

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 12:08 PM
Received 222 Likes on 120 Posts
Question Adjusting fuel tank sending unit arms

Hi, Anyone know how to adjust (bend?) the wire arms to get the tanks to read correctly? Prev. owner installed new senders, but says I (new owner) need to adjust them? How?

Old 09-21-2017, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I am sure that somewhere are the instructions as to how. But, with fuel in the tanks, bend and try not feasible.

So, in my uneducated view, I'd start with "reality". How does the guage now read? In relation to the amount of fuel in the tanks. I have this idea that the default is right on or very close. If so, no issue????

I'm sure you can design a bend protocol with little risk, one tank at a time. Just have a look at the tank orientation and compare visually to the arm swing.

Might even hook 'em up out of the tank and swing them and see how the guage reacts.

Carl

Old 09-21-2017, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts

Once tank is drained, maybe a piece of string dropped into filler hole and hooked with a coat hanger.thru sender hole, attach syring to sender and reinstall, use string to pull up arm amd.drop again, have someone watching gauge , you should get an.idea of what spot.its. catching, keep.adjusting until pulling string gives a full.sweep... just an.idea

Old 09-21-2017, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Your gauges would read correctly if not for the modern automatic shut-off at the pump.
I can get mine to read FULL but I have to work at it, as the first burp usually trips the nozzle (after the first burp I have to proceed very slowly until I can't get any more in, usually only about another 12-16 ounces). I think it has to do with the way the anti-theft filler is designed.

Be aware that if you get the gauge to read a "correct" FULL it will NOT read a correct EMPTY; with possible embarrassing results.

Most of us just live with it and curse the auto-shutoff nozzles.
(';')

Old 09-21-2017, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts

I use the string idea on the arm(s) out the filler neck.. then add three gallons...the tank should be at the E.... do not care what is says when it is filled all the way... You know you have a small reserve at the E.. the only time a gas gauge is important!~

Old 09-21-2017, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Yes, Roger, that's Exactly how both my gauges read; on E I can only put in around 9 gallons US (if I work at it). As the tanks hold 12 gallons, I Like knowing I have that little cushion. I've needed it on one or two occasions.
(';')

The following users liked this post:
Roger Mabry (09-21-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 03:06 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had to do exactly this(bend the arm) when one of my tank gauges was reading way out. I think the previous owner fitted a RH tank sending unit to the LH tank or something. Anyway I bent the arm until i could feel the float was sitting on the tank bottom and the sending wiper was reading true empty (gauge reading on empty) and that the sending unit was not reaching its own natural stop. takes a few times adjusting/ bending and inserting in the tank to check. The gauge travels about 5% past the E on the gauge so you know anything past the E is reserve
Not sure if that was the correct way to do it but it worked out for me......

Old 09-22-2017, 04:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 340 Posts

I installed 2 new assemblies on my car about 2 years ago. Prior to installing them, I tested them and the gauge read correctly from empty to full as I moved the arms. However, upon installation, the gauge never reads full when I fill up the tanks. It is always a little above 3/4 tank. I agree with LnR that it is difficult to fill these tanks all the way at the pump. I did my first fill up in my garage by pouring the gasoline in using a funnel but it never read full even though I had fuel above the flap. I have also tested my car by running one of the tanks to empty. When the gauge showed "E" I was still able to drive the car for about 20 miles before it died. Knowing that, I live with the gauge reading as it is. Are the fuel sender units 'handed'? I just installed them without thinking about whether one was for left and the other for right.

studentper (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

For some odd reason, mine seem to be just right. More than likely because I've never messed with them.

1. Way back not long after getting the car, dear departed and I were in the center of town. Esrly on a Sunday, But traffic was awakening. When the light went green, I started across the intersection, then a diminishment of power. Lucky mew, I guessed right. Switched tanks, power returned. Yup, empty on the guage means no fuel in the tanks.

As I use cash to buy gas, I prepay. I do no do well with card use at the pumps and don't trust them. I fill up to the burp on at least one tank. The gauges read full.

From the early adventure, I conclude that there ain't much left on empty.

I was not aware that the tanks had an anti theft device. I did manage to siphon some from my Jaguar for one of my one bangers. No such luck on the Jeep!!

I am past the project stage on drilling out a busted stud in a swivel on big chipper. Now in to career status busted a drill bit. Luckily, found another 15/64th in my stuff. Looks new and sharp. The busted one, apparently not so much. .

Carl

Old 09-23-2017, 07:08 AM
Received 280 Likes on 115 Posts

If you want to bend the arms run the tank until empty or nearly so, remove the tail lamp assembly on the offending side and the sender is right there. Remove it and make your adjustment. It sounds crude but should get you close.

studentper (09-24-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 01:33 PM
Received 222 Likes on 120 Posts

Well, thanks for the replies. Both tanks read 3/4 full when completely full. I've run it to show 1/8th full and the car still runs - I don't want to run it dry. So, with the tank full, the float must be at it's maximum travel, so bending it upwards should make no difference. Hmmm... I'll have to do some experimenting.