XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another Glancy xjc film

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 12:49 PM
Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts
Default another Glancy xjc film

Guy didn't build car, gets online videos featured every few weeks this year it seems...

The following 4 users liked this post by olivermarks:
Doug (05-30-2018), Jag7651 (05-31-2018), LnrB (05-30-2018), yachtmanbuttson (05-31-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Thanks!!!

My XJwuzza 6 could use a bath much more than his!!!

Orange on black California plates on his !!!

At the market this morning I noted a white car with those orange on black plates. But, either a vW Jetta or Passat!!!

My far more "deserving: car exists on blue on white.

Oh, CA will accept hit tech digital plates!!! For a fee, a big one.

Carl

Old 05-30-2018, 01:32 PM

The previous owner's sale video. Be interesting to know who did all the hard work on this car...

Old 05-30-2018, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,013 Likes on 5,318 Posts

No Jaguar is so beautiful as the Xj6 Series 2 (I freely admit bias).
And Coupes are the most beautiful of those.
Perfect lines, Perfect proportions, Perfect execution.
(sigh)
(';')

Old 05-30-2018, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 791 Posts

This guy has great PR skills and I really respect his ability to get noticed. The car is super nice too. I do find his videos and demeanor odd, joyless, contrived and over dramatic. It seem as if his family time is tolerable only becasue of the car. Like if the car wasn't there they would drift apart and have no reason to venture out. Odd

In one segment at 5:09 the woman is rubbing the child with a model car and the child couldn't be less interested. A parent would typically do that with something soft like a teddy bear. Odd A bit later on he drives up and the family is already there...Did he leave and come back from being alone with his only true love....the car? Odd.

There is also some clear "product placement"in the video.

Last edited by icsamerica; 05-30-2018 at 08:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Doug (06-01-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by icsamerica
This guy has great PR skills and I really respect his ability to get noticed. The car is super nice too. I do find his videos and demeanor odd, joyless, contrived and over dramatic. It seem as if his family time is tolerable only becasue of the car. Like if the car wasn't there they would drift apart and have no reason to venture out. Odd

In one segment at 5:09 the woman is rubbing the child with a model car and the child couldn't be less interested. A parent would typically do that with something soft like a teddy bear. Odd A bit later on he drives up and the family is already there...Did he leave and come back from being alone with his only true love....the car? Odd.

There is also some clear "product placement"in the video.
There's a whole schtick he did on Leno about his dad, motorbikes and Jags - should have been pretty cool but feels fake to me, like he's about to solicit offers for this xjc he bought a couple of years ago. 'It's super rare' etc...probably doesn't do the price of xjc's any harm though, judging by the video page views and lust filled comments from the couch car fan brigade. There's something odd and cold about the vid when it's focused on the owners but love the drone shots...

Old 05-30-2018, 09:37 PM
Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

How about that picnic basket!

Rusty

Old 05-31-2018, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 281 Posts

Be it as it may, all good comments. But what a great way to start my day! I like the word he used a couple of times "preservation". Not a word I've used yet, but might start. Very appropriate.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by yachtmanbuttson
Be it as it may, all good comments. But what a great way to start my day! I like the word he used a couple of times "preservation". Not a word I've used yet, but might start. Very appropriate.
The first time his daughter hurls all over the back seats he's gonna snap. Car seat dimples and spit up. Yeah that's preservation.

Quite frankly I think the whole thing is a contrivance.

olivermarks (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by yachtmanbuttson
Well he's not doing a great job of preserving that high end paint job the previous owner did after converting to uk spec bumpers/front grille and deleting the federal running lights...
At 1:23 he appears with his Starsky and Hutch cardigan on with a bucket of the sponsor's detergent and starts sponging it onto a dry car in direct sunlight, presumably grinding dust particles into the paint and adding a few swirls....
The whole instagram ego hagiography thing sticks in my throat a bit, speaking as someone who often has to explain the attraction of bringing Jags back from the dead to people who are only attracted to shiny vehicles with fresh interiors...

Old 05-31-2018, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by olivermarks
Well he's not doing a great job of preserving that high end paint job the previous owner did after converting to uk spec bumpers/front grille and deleting the federal running lights...
At 1:23 he appears with his Starsky and Hutch cardigan on with a bucket of the sponsor's detergent and starts sponging it onto a dry car in direct sunlight, presumably grinding dust particles into the paint and adding a few swirls....
The whole instagram ego hagiography thing sticks in my throat a bit, speaking as someone who often has to explain the attraction of bringing Jags back from the dead to people who are only attracted to shiny vehicles with fresh interiors...
Ha! I learned a new word! "hagiography" I watched the whole thing over again once I looked up that word and that is exactly the essence of the video...

However I have decided that I am going to cut the guy some slack because his car is worthy and I love looking at video of beautiful XJC's especially the drone shots!

If I was the director I would have put some grease under my finger nails. gota be real right?....

Rusty

yachtmanbuttson (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,805 Likes on 7,120 Posts

In all I enjoyed the video....beautiful Jag and photography....but, yeah, there's also something off-putting about it. A bit too much reverence towards the car? A bit too much in love with it? I dunno.

The picnic basket thing....well.....I hope I'm not offending anyone but here goes.

I've been to, oh, probably 50 Jaguar shows over the last 20 years and there seems to be some sort of fixation with displaying picnic baskets, jars of Grey Poupon Mustard, bottles of wine, tea sets, and so forth, with the cars.

As someone who preaches (and tries adhering to) the philosophy of "to each his own" I really should remain silent but, well, I find this sort of thing cloying. Some sort of contrived gentrification, or what? I dunno.

And don't even get me started on stuffed animals (always feline, naturally) strewn all about the cars!

Apologies for the editorializing......er...um....spouting off.

Cheers
DD

peter J (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
In all I enjoyed the video....beautiful Jag and photography....but, yeah, there's also something off-putting about it. A bit too much reverence towards the car? A bit too much in love with it? I dunno.

The picnic basket thing....well.....I hope I'm not offending anyone but here goes.

I've been to, oh, probably 50 Jaguar shows over the last 20 years and there seems to be some sort of fixation with displaying picnic baskets, jars of Grey Poupon Mustard, bottles of wine, tea sets, and so forth, with the cars.

As someone who preaches (and tries adhering to) the philosophy of "to each his own" I really should remain silent but, well, I find this sort of thing cloying. Some sort of contrived gentrification, or what? I dunno.

And don't even get me started on stuffed animals (always feline, naturally) strewn all about the cars!

Apologies for the editorializing......er...um....spouting off.

Cheers
DD
Ha! now this is getting embarrassing Cloying Is another word I have never used!

For me the video made by Pabarlow is the best Ive seen of an XJ

Rusty

Old 06-01-2018, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I like the word lessons. Hagiography and spouting off !!!

I am taking it easy today, Got a bit of entertainment/exercise yesterday.

The derelict VW vintage dune buggy has departed my driveway!! My son came over with his vintage Ram 4x4 diesel and super "car trailer". Loaded easily with the powered features of the hauler.

But, the venerable goat refused to fire. Complex fueling for it's Cummins diesel. At last it caught. Whew, there was no plan "B".

But, an e mail awaited me this AM. got there tot he sierra place. foud issue. Fixed. Very Jaguar like flaw. Corroded fuse on one leg of the complex fueling system. Three stage !!

Carl .,

Old 06-01-2018, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Rustyxjc
Ha! now this is getting embarrassing Cloying Is another word I have never used!

For me the video made by Pabarlow is the best Ive seen of an XJ

https://youtu.be/9r4NedPehpU

Rusty
I've got a drone and a couple of go pro's, maybe I'll make a movie of my various non running Jag projects with lots of video footage of me stroking my chin in bars trying to figure out how to fix things while browsing the forums for solutions....I'll work a picnic basket and a few stuffed animals in somewhere and I could even add my 'venerable goat' 12 valve cummins in that I use to tow old Jags around on for jagCad...

Not sure I'll get Turdle Wax sponsorship for that though....maybe I'll approach pb blaster...

Old 06-01-2018, 10:30 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by olivermarks
...maybe I'll make a movie of my various non running Jag projects with lots of video footage of me stroking my chin in bars trying to figure out how to fix things while browsing the forums for solutions......
Make sure to wear a nice cardigan and highlight your fancy sunglasses while you're at it.

olivermarks (06-01-2018)