XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody done a Saturn alternator upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 10:11 PM
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Anybody done a Saturn alternator upgrade?

I see in some of the MG forums that a Saturn alternator is a bolt-in fit to replace our under-performing Lucas units (although the pulley and electrical plug need to be replaced). Anybody done this conversion on a Series 1 or 2 XJ6?

Ken

Old 02-01-2014, 11:07 PM
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by krswen
I see in some of the MG forums that a Saturn alternator is a bolt-in fit to replace our under-performing Lucas units (although the pulley and electrical plug need to be replaced). Anybody done this conversion on a Series 1 or 2 XJ6?

Ken
Hi Ken - I've installed a GM CS130D style alternator in my Series 1. The Saturn conversion you mentioned probably used that alternator but there are a bunch of different cases, clock positions etc... It's a good alternative to the Lucas unit because it's easy to get and cheap and also fairly compact. The one in my car fits well but I did have to modify the mount a little and shim with washers so that the belt lines up properly.

Also as you mentioned you have to get a V-belt pulley installed. Some re-manufacturers will install the V-belt pulley for you but they're easy to get either way. The plug does have to be replaced with one for a CS130D (cut one off a GM car at the junkyard) but once it's wired up it functions perfectly. It's self-exciting and self-sensing but there is an output for the light. You should also replace the brown output wires from the original lucas with something more substantial because the CS130D puts out about 105A.

I've been driving the car with this alternator for a couple years and it works great. You will have to get used to the battery gauge staying pegged at 14 volts but that's a good thing

There's really no downside to this conversion. I originally did it because I replaced my power-robbing engine fan with an electric unit.
Here's a link to some pics:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

Let me know if you want any more details about the conversion. I think I can find the exact numbers of the one I used if I look around. I moved since I did this so I gotta do a little digging.

The following users liked this post:
Ahabiam (02-18-2014)