XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know of a bullet connector in the tail light harness?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Anyone know of a bullet connector in the tail light harness?

Preparing to take the '71 S1 XJ tomorrow to the body shop for some work prior to bare metal painting... I was going to add connectors in the circuit for the third brake light I had added. The rear window is going to be removed for the paint job as well as the front windshield. Putting connectors in the wiring would make the glass shops job much easier.

I checked the brake and tail lights in the garage against the door.. they were not working at all!

No 12V on the Red tail light/brake light wire in the rear, but 12V at the Red wire on the side light switch (no side lights as they were removed by PO) and in/out of the inline fuse.

The Hazards lights work and the turn signals (front and rear). I have never seen the light in the trunk lid work (no power to that socket with the lights on there either). It is my understanding that the socket is a mercury switch?But, there is 12V to the reverse lights on the Green/Brown wire... the rear bumper is off so the license plate light is not currently attached.

Some where in the car is a bullet connector for the Red wire circuit going from the front to rear.. anyone know where I can locate it to check how far the power is actually going? Hate to waste hours trying to find it and they are not noted in the wiring diagram(s).

Any suggestions on how to find the fault? It is only a mile or so and it will be daytime when I take the car... but, either find the problem now or later?

Old 08-23-2015, 06:37 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

I went through the same process when I fitted a 3rd brake light to mine, the red wire on the LH tail light goes to fuse No5, the red wire on the RH tail light goes to fuse No10, those two fuss are powered by a red/black wire coming from the side light switch.

EDIT: stop lamps have green/purple wire that goes to stop lamp switch, from stop lamp switch a light green wire goes to fuse No3,that is powered by a white/pink wire from the ignition relay.

Anyone know of a bullet connector in the tail light harness?-dsc_9893.jpg

Last edited by o1xjr; 08-23-2015 at 07:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Roger Mabry (08-24-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Default Will confirm my wiring

Thanks, my third brake light is located on the rear window at the bottom (under the AOPA sticker).. hard to see in the Avatar. Unless it is lighted it is almost invisible.. old style stick on type.

I installed it several years ago and it had been working fine (at least I thought it was). will have to check my brake and tail lights more often... car has not been driven much in the last couple of years due to the big project with the '72 Jag.

I do have it all apart in the interior, the rear bumper is off and the side valance covers off.. just changed the gas tanks to S3 and put in full sound insulation. It is going to the body shop for the exhaust exit holes - they were welded up by PO due to a rear end accident or taste? The new rear valance panel is for a S2/S3 and will be cut up to provide the proper exit holes.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Oddments:

1. I lost my stop lights, unknown to me til a friendly motorist told me. messed under the scuttle for a time. Fixed, but not correctly. Much later, ion other thrashing, came up with the base fault. Ignition switch!!! Lots of Jaguar electrics are inoperative unless the switch is on!!!!

2. I have two or three bullet connectors in my car doe by me. Crimped. Not really to my liking.

3. When I connected the twin electric fans, I used an all weather connector intended for trailer lights. heavy duty and affords tight connections, yet easily undone.

4. When I learned of no brake lights, I limped home the old way, hand signal on slowing to stop!!! Must have startled more than a few fellow drivers!!!

Carl

The following 2 users liked this post by JagCad:
o1xjr (08-24-2015), Roger Mabry (08-24-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Default Will find and fix the fault when back from body shop

They are making slow progress in our 100F heated days... have the golf ball dent in the RF door pounded out, sanded, filled and primered.

The exhaust outlets were not done when there checking yesterday... it was lunch hour so no one was working... also the hot part of the day.

Will check on their progress again today... "If you do not inspect - you cannot expect good things to happen"...

Old 08-28-2015, 08:35 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry
"If you do not inspect - you cannot expect good things to happen"...
We hear you.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,954 Likes on 5,298 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry
[...] "If you do not inspect - you cannot expect good things to happen"...
Absolutely!
(';')

Old 08-28-2015, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Ugh.
The other viewpoint:

"Let me alone so I can get this thing done."

Many shops don't allow customers in the work area. Signs blame the insurance company!!!!

But I get the point....

Carl

Old 09-04-2015, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Default Slow but steady progress

We decided today to replace the rear valance panel with the exhaust holes...the new panel will be used as much as is the same... spot welded
in place.

They (PO's body shop) used so much body filler to make the welded up holes smooth that it is a mess... new panel will be much better. All the body filler plus the thick Imron paint is hard to work with....

The rest of the needed work is done, except the old antenna hole... it will be welded up next. David Boger sent me a new RF fender access panel to replace one that is rusted out.

Car will be then sanded and primered on the passenger side where I received a "Xmas Eve" gift scratch all down that side in a parking lot a couple of years ago.. That side will be then ready for paint... it will be primered now so I can drive the car while doing the exhaust mod under the IRS and the rest of the fuel injection conversion.

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 09-04-2015 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,954 Likes on 5,298 Posts

In town this past week, I was sitting at a stop light beside a relatively new, Burgundy, extended cab pickup with matching camper shell. On every panel I could see some "person" (and I use that term loosely) had scratched the paint, making designs, swirls and symbols to the point only a complete repaint would fix the damage.

I heard on the News that this sort of thing is getting exponentially worse in the past couple years. It makes me wonder if I even want to drive Nix in there, but I have the car to drive! It's a conundrum.
(';')

Old 09-05-2015, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

LnrB:

Yeah. Like tagging with spray paint cans!!!

The mars in cars are known as "keyed". Once only as revenge or mere vandalism sans pattern.

New development is "scratched art" ???

Way back while living in the LA area, the "medium" used by vandals was eggs!!!
Removing all traces from anything is a formidable task. Well, one am, I came out to go to work. Garage door splattered well. What did I do???? Random target during the night,. I suppose. I called the cops. Surprise, they came!!! Two in one cruiser. They acknowledged a problem in the neighborhood. I got busy scrubbing.... The came back. "we got them". Nice car, too. "Accidently stepped on a bag of eggs on the carpet in the front passenger side. Kinda messy......"!!

When I watch the TV judge shows, it seems that when some gals throw a "hissy fit", they key the other gals car. Ugh, at times, it's mama's car???? Mama get a bit mad...

Carl