XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand new to me xj6 blower motor HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new to me xj6 blower motor HELP!

Hello i posted a while back that i was in the process of getting a 1986 jaguar xj6 as a surprise for my mom because she has always wanted a jaguar lol

so i just picked up this car and so far i am absolutely in love lol i may have to get another one just for her.

a few things i have learned thus far...
for some reason there were 2 spark plugs unplugged.... once plugged in the car ran amazingly better lol
There is a marine battery in it for some reason in the car and this is causing unwanted stress on the alternator so that will be dealt with immediately.

The contacts on the window switches are temperamental i am assuming this is due to corrosion built up so i will clean them up and add so dielectric grease.

now the brain teaser...
the blower motor is not working (i need this to pass a safety) so i need to get this working asap.
i have done a little bit of probing and will be getting into the schematics momentarily and updating with findings.
so far..
The blower motor control switch does actuate the flaps and seems to have good contact
at the 50A fuse that is not blown there is 1.6v when off and 14v when switched on.
still the motor does not turn on. i am leaning towards bad blower motor mainly because i am afraid of messing around with the relays and wiring lol

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Old 06-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,937 Posts

As I recall, (mind you my memory may be failing), there are TWO heater blower motors, one each side, separate from the heater unit, and a PIA to get at as they are right on the bulkhead, but if neither are working this suggests something up-line of them, such as a fuse or switch.

Doug will know and either confirm this, or tell me I am an old idiot - why would Jaguar, that notoriously parsimonious company, use two when one will do !

Old 06-04-2011, 05:32 PM

Thank you for the input fraser,

so a little update i am having a hard time finding electrical schematics that also have wire color codes.

i decided to dig deeper without removing the dash i have removed the ash trays and the two kick panels on either side of the car.

so far i have only found 1 in line fuse that was blown a 10a with brown and yellow i believe colored wires i will updated if the color is different as i am taking a brake right now lol.

after replacing that fuse the blower motor's are still not operational.

i did however stumble upon an older thread on this forum that said they were prone to failure and that ice can get trapped and blow fuses,, as far as i know this car has been garage kept since day 1 or it spent the winter in florida.

what is really frustrating is i have no bearing, i dont know where the wires go or what their color code is, i looked at the sticky's and i have a Haynes manual but they are not helpful thus far. im beginning to think that mitchels or alldata will be my only Saviour.

Any input is always greatly appreciated. Thank you!

edit: PS: where is the LS blower motor, the RS motor was easy to find as it was right under the glove box and i tapped it with a hammer to coax it back to life and nothing. if someone could tell me the power wire for the motors i can supply 12v to it and see if the problem is the motors or the electrical s. Thank you!

Old 06-04-2011, 06:07 PM

Correction the fuse i replaced was on a Yellow and Brown wire,, and if anyone could tell me what that circuit is for i would greatly appreciate it..

Oh and also i am not sure but the oil gauge reads at all times when on or running +80 psi i am sure this is wrong but i am hoping its the gauge not the motor :/

Thank you

I can take pictures and videos if needed

Old 06-04-2011, 06:47 PM

Here are some photos to help describe what i have been doing.
I replaced this fuse because it was blown, can anyone help me out to identify this circuit and what it is? i havent noticed anything not working except for the blower motor
Name:  IMG_0262.jpg
Views: 2693
Size:  82.8 KB

I am not sure what these connectors are for, i am assuming they are for the VDP edition or some trim line that this car is not equipped with.
Name:  IMG_0259.jpg
Views: 3151
Size:  125.6 KB

All fuses in line and pannels have been checked to my knowledge, drivers and passengers pannels.
Name:  IMG_0259.jpg
Views: 3151
Size:  125.6 KB
Name:  IMG_0263.jpg
Views: 2917
Size:  84.7 KB

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0259.jpg (125.6 KB, 255 views)
Old 06-04-2011, 08:47 PM

So to recap the things i know that are wrong with the car so far.

Blower motors does not work
wrong battery
evap system for both tanks clogged creating positive pressure in gas tanks
contacts on window switches corroded and needing a cleaning
radio will not give up the "essence of jaguar" cassette tape

i need help lol because if i cant fix these it will have to go to a dealer probably because i know how difficult these cars are to work on

Old 06-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Lukeman
Correction the fuse i replaced was on a Yellow and Brown wire,, and if anyone could tell me what that circuit is for i would greatly appreciate it..

Oh and also i am not sure but the oil gauge reads at all times when on or running +80 psi i am sure this is wrong but i am hoping its the gauge not the motor :/

Thank you

I can take pictures and videos if needed

The climate control has 4 fuses. One in the aux (right side) fuse box, #16 probably...the 50amp one.

In the main (left side) fuse box there's another...a 35amp...probably #6

On the ground wire to the amplifier (buried behind the right console cheek panel) there's a 2 amp inline fuse

On the right side of the heater case is the 10 amp (?) inline fuse on the brown/yellow and yellow/brown wires.

I think the #16 fuse and the inline fuse on the brown/yellow wires are your most likely choices for inoperative fans....can't remember for sure.

On one of the heater pipes going into the left side of the heater core is a fan override switch. Jump those two wires together and see if anything changes

Cheers
DD

Old 06-04-2011, 09:27 PM

Thank you Thank you Thank you! i cant wait to try this out especially the jumper...

lol if it comes down to it and the fans are working i may just wire in my own switches using the oem switch, this wiring is beyond me sadly, i am only used to simple electrical diagnostics on domestics and import tuners and such

Old 06-05-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
The climate control has 4 fuses. One in the aux (right side) fuse box, #16 probably...the 50amp one.

In the main (left side) fuse box there's another...a 35amp...probably #6

On the ground wire to the amplifier (buried behind the right console cheek panel) there's a 2 amp inline fuse

On the right side of the heater case is the 10 amp (?) inline fuse on the brown/yellow and yellow/brown wires.

I think the #16 fuse and the inline fuse on the brown/yellow wires are your most likely choices for inoperative fans....can't remember for sure.

On one of the heater pipes going into the left side of the heater core is a fan override switch. Jump those two wires together and see if anything changes

Cheers
DD
Thank you again for the help i was wondering, where exactly are the wires to jump the motors? i understand that the heater core is behind the center of the dashboard, do i need to remove the face of the dash to access this jumper?

Thank you again in advance

Old 06-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member

Your pics #2 and #3 above are the left side of the console, correct?

Look upward from that area and you'll see two copper pipes going to the heater core. One of those pipes as a switch with two wires. Remove the wires and jump them together and tell us if anything changes.

If this switch is stuck "open" the blowers will never operate.

(The normal function of this switch is to defeat the blower motors when heat is called for but the engine hasn't warmed up...otherwise you'd just get cold air blwing on your feet for the first few minutes of driving)

Cheers
DD

Old 06-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

Jaguar wiring is to a British standard, originally by Lucas. Try an internet search on 'british car wiring standard'. All the wire colours plus tracer colours should be listed.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:37 PM

I tried the jumper switch and nothing worked here is some more data.. i am begining to think both motors are dead. i called the dealer and they wanted 1200 for one lol

So with car warmed up and running there was continuity at the heater core switch
with the wires jumped no change
with fan set to off there was 0.00v at 2 wires
with fan set to low there was 0.059v
auto 0.078v
high......

wow wait what... what happened>>> as i was taking these voltages the blower started working... i am very very confused.. i thought my multi meter was completeing the circuit but the switch had continuity and when i unplugged the multi meter probes the fan continued to work..

so conclusion...
Is the motor dead and i smacked it the right way inadvertently and it started working?
did my multi meter jolt it back into life?
are both working? lol i felt the faces of the motors but neither of them are exhibiting notable vibrations.
my real question.. when cold does the switch have continuity or is it open? because if it i displays continuity when cold then that would explain why unplugging it would make it work but by how you have advised me to jump the wires would lead me to assume that when cold the circuit is open. so my only conclusion is act of god lol

Thank you all for the wonderfully helpful help!

i look forward to hopefully contributing equally to how i have learned on this forum!

Old 06-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member

Blower motors are normal 12v DC motors and the brushes will wear out eventually, so you may have jolted the brush(s) back into contact. So you have a choice, buy another motor, or repair. If I were you, I would replace the brushes, but the difficult bit will probably be dismantling the motor as these things tend to be assembled using crimping and bending of parts, rather than bolts and screws. My last car, a Rover 75, had similar motors on the radiator fan - brushes would wear out and to dismantle one had to un-bend the tabs securing the end of the motor to the body, but holding the motor whilst one did the bending was the hard part. I never had to do mine, but had a set of brushes just in case. I still have them !!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member

The switch on the heater core pipe should be open when cold, closed when hot.

You're working in the area of the blower motor relay pack. It's the box with all the white plastic plug-in connectors in your #2 pic. Maybe you jiggled some poor connections in "just the right way"?

I agree that the motors could be shot, and/or the brushes worn out...but removing the blower motors is no walk in the park. I'd hate to go thru the effort and then find out the real problem was a loose connection somewhere.

Look for and disconnect the green/slate wire coming from the blower relay pack. This wire goes directly to the blower motors. Apply 12v to the wire and see of the blowers work.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
As I recall, (mind you my memory may be failing), there are TWO heater blower motors, one each side, separate from the heater unit, and a PIA to get at as they are right on the bulkhead, but if neither are working this suggests something up-line of them, such as a fuse or switch.

Doug will know and either confirm this, or tell me I am an old idiot - why would Jaguar, that notoriously parsimonious company, use two when one will do !

Yes two motors....and I don't know why. I reckon they felt the air distribution would be better....allowing lower fan speeds with the same air flow result, but lower noise? I dunno....pure specualtion on my part.

Jaguar was sorta in love with symmetry and "dual" everything for a few years. Dual fans, dual exhaust, dual fuel tanks, dual camshafts.....

And I would never call you an idiot.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-07-2011, 08:48 PM

lol ya 2 motors i was completely baffled when i read it and when i saw it on the wiring diagrams lol

so after a night of sitting i woke up and started the jag, shes running extremely rich until closed loop so i am going to look into testing the coolant temperature sensor.

so i turned on the heat and..... nothing so being stumped i started probing and testing again and again to see what i could find.... and what i found was that the drivers side blower motor is completely dead and the passenger side is dying.. i found this out with the scientific method of smacking the side of the motor with a hammer... lol so my next step is to remove the drivers side blower and begin repair or if necessary replace.... i have taken a quick look on ebay and they seem to run from 50-100$ used and 300+ new,, i did see some rebuild kits but i am not convinced that a 30$ rebuild kit will be helpful at all lol

Thank You!

Old 06-08-2011, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member

It always seemed to me that Jaguar built these cars by first placing the heater pack and the air blowers on the middle of the production line, then built the car around them !!

Old 07-12-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Lukeman
So to recap the things i know that are wrong with the car so far.

Blower motors does not work
wrong battery
evap system for both tanks clogged creating positive pressure in gas tanks
contacts on window switches corroded and needing a cleaning
radio will not give up the "essence of jaguar" cassette tape

i need help lol because if i cant fix these it will have to go to a dealer probably because i know how difficult these cars are to work on
I have the same model and some of the same problems- all the electrical systems on my car were working perfectly until I took it through a car wash. Since that day it has been running fine, but the electrics are out of whack- my left side headlights are out, the AC fan was out, and the radio wouldn't play the iPod adapter cassette I had put into the tape deck. When I play something on the iPod, I can hear it playing very, very faintly over the speakers, but the tape deck won't eject it and the display screen is blank. Miraculously, I hit a bump today and the AC fan started working again, but I still haven't resolved the tape deck issue. Did you ever figure that out?