XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car starts...but differently

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Car starts...but differently

I have only started the Jag a handful of times this fall/winter but I have noticed lately that it turns over slower than usual. Of course my first thought is the battery is old and tired. Had it checked...at two different placed... both of whom really wanted to sell me a new battery. However, the battery checked out fine both times. Could this be the starter going bad?

Here is what happens: turn the key (after not being started for a few days/week) and it turns over slow...but starts. Then after running for a while, if I turn it off and restart the car starts normally.

Thoughts?

Old 12-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Maybe the starter, yes, but I'm leaning towards loose/dirty battery cables and/or loose dirty main ground....which is under the car, right side, about where the engine and transmission come together.

As long as you're checking, take a peek at the "+" post on the firewall, right side, inboard and slightly below battery.

Cheers
DD

Old 12-28-2010, 02:03 PM

Doug,

I considered those items during my "head scratching" session. However, when I disassembled a parts car recently, I scavenged the pos and neg terminals because they were original and in good shape. When I put the pos terminal on, I cleaned up that whole post where the pos attaches along with many other wires. Used terminal grease on everything and put it all back. I also looked at the main ground when I had the car on a lift and it looked really clean.

Having said all that... a couple things come to mind. Maybe the original pos terminal I put in is not good anymore. Maybe the cold weather has an effect.

Anyway, I started and ran the car today and drove about 30 miles. Everything seemed to be working well and the car started up several times normally. After eating lunch and going back out to restart, it hesitated for just a moment and then started right up.

Batt terminal is clean, pos post is clean, ground looks clean. After running for a while, car starts 95% as it did in the summer. Those are the facts at this point. Maybe I am making too much out of it but I am always on the lookout for PM stuff so reliability is maintained.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:33 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If you have another starter, try swapping it in. Or maybe have it rebuilt and then swap it in. It might be starting to bind. You can verify it is getting good voltage right at the starter connection using a voltmeter. It should show the same as battery voltage, but in reality, there will be a little voltage drop, so if the battery is at say 11.5 volts during cranking, the starter might only get 11. Any more than .5 volt drop is excessive and due to poor conductivity through the cables and connections.

If the voltage is strong when the cranking is weak, the starter is most likely the culprit. This same thing happened on my truck. The trusty original starter worked for 230,000 miles and 17 years, then started strugling. It was having trouble because it was binding up, but it would still work somewhat until it got worse.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:19 AM

It just so happens that I had an alternator and starter rebuilt ($65 each) from my parts car. They are good soldiers ready for battle if needed. I may just put the starter in this winter, however it looks like a daunting task based on where it is. Has anyone ever put one in? Tips?

Old 01-03-2011, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member

Starter replacement? Not as bad as you might think. A couple tips:

-Remove battery for more room when tackling the upper bolt
-Remove clip holding trans vent pipe and shift pipe out of the way, gently
-Remove oil pressure sending unit so it doesn't accidentally get bashed when removing the starter
-Look for 1/8" thick spacer ring and transfer to new starter. It might be stuck on the ol starter
-Someone here suggested disconnecting main power cable at the firewall stud and let it come away with the starter as you lower it down, then transfer to new starter. Good idea.

Others will chime in

Cheers
DD

Old 01-03-2011, 02:13 PM

Great tips!!

So Doug, are you saying to tackle the starter from below the car (on a lift)?

I will certainly clean grounds/contacts again and re-secure with new hardware. You are right, this is a cheap way to ensure good contact.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll need access from the top and bottom while you swap the starter. I put mine on jack stands and removed the passenger side wheel for better access. Also go ahead and pull the battery for the extra room to reach the bolts.

Something else good to have is a socket wrench with a small head and adjustable angle handle. I have a Husky brand one that I grabbed at Home Depot for cheap that really helped. It's not a heavy duty tool, but the head is small and the handle is adjustable length and the angle to the head is adjustable. Perfect for hard to reach areas.....like the starter bolts.

Also the gear reduction starter I picked up from thedrivenman has worked out well. I'd recommend it.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:51 PM

What type of time investment can I expect for this swap?

--Considering it took me about 4-5 hours to fully complete the water pump swap. However, 1 hour of that was getting the old gasket off.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member

Couple hours oughta do it.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-15-2012, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Kalahari
You'll need access from the top and bottom while you swap the starter. I put mine on jack stands and removed the passenger side wheel for better access. Also go ahead and pull the battery for the extra room to reach the bolts.

Something else good to have is a socket wrench with a small head and adjustable angle handle. I have a Husky brand one that I grabbed at Home Depot for cheap that really helped. It's not a heavy duty tool, but the head is small and the handle is adjustable length and the angle to the head is adjustable. Perfect for hard to reach areas.....like the starter bolts.

Also the gear reduction starter I picked up from thedrivenman has worked out well. I'd recommend it.
After a couple of stock starters have gone down I have decided to try a gear reduction starter from the drivenman. It was $211 shipped and hopefully will take care of my problem. Seems like the car just doesnt like to turn over well in colder weather and is hard on the stock starters. Ill provide a critique after the install.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:04 PM

Very happy with the new high torque starter. It turns the car over so much better than the old (stock) starter. Highly recommend this "upgrade" if/when your original starter goes bad.