Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defective gas tank from Spectra

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Defective gas tank from Spectra

I converted my car to EFI and changed the gas tanks and filler caps to S3 stuff.

The tanks were new ones made by Spectra... the right one is perfect but the left one "leaked" every time I filled the tank. Two of the local gas stations asked me not to bring the Jag back into the stations! I could not see where the problem was in the car... so I removed the tank.

There is a "extra" hole behind the upper mounting bracket into the tank.. it is not supposed to be there. That hole is used to hold the tank against the side of the trunk wall. 5/16 24 bolt about one inch long...

After talking to the place I purchased the tank, it was now 15 months later since the tank went in, the car was converted to EFI and then taken apart for paint... this part of the process took about seven months including putting it all back together and starting driving it again. The vendor warrants their stuff one year and Spectra three years.. then there is the problem/cost of
returning a used gas tank.. Most shippers will not ship a tank that smell of gasoline...obvious manufacturing defect and this tank was not "pressure tested" per Spectra claims.

I fixed the extra hole today by tapping into the tank through the existing hole in the bracket... bought a Allen cap screw and Seals - All that is gas proof.
Coated the screw and dropped it behind the bracket, grabbed it with hemostats and screwed it into the tank.. am now waiting for the sealant to dry.

Then the fun part of putting it all back together again...have asked for labor and parts compensation in the form of a Gift Certificate.

Attached Thumbnails Defective gas tank from Spectra-imag2138.jpg   Defective gas tank from Spectra-allen-plug-extra-hole-1-.jpg  

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 12-09-2016 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Added photo and text about the fix
The following 2 users liked this post by Roger Mabry:
Doug (12-08-2016), slofut (12-11-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Default Offered low compensation for the bad tank

After complaining about the extra hole in the tank to the place I purchased it (it will remain nameless as they only sold it to me)... it took them three days to say they would do nothing... they have a one year warranty and Spectra has three years... it is over one year since I purchased the tank from them. Car was down most of the time for a complete paint job and fuel injection conversion... they I had to put it all back together.

They offered me a $20.00 Rebate for my extra work.. it only takes four hours to reinstall a Jag tank, fix the leak by tapping the "extra hole" and sealant around the plug. Currently I feel I am worth more than $5.00 per hour for skilled labor with over 55 years of experience on cars. I have done this tank R&R now five times on Jaguars... it not a fun job...

I politely told them to keep their rebate... they also wanted me to fill out a Satisfaction Survey... I declined as I do not want my real thoughts committed to a record...

I filled the tank completely up today and no leak at the repaired spot... on to other things now.

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 12-10-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:39 AM
Received 116 Likes on 87 Posts

Damn Roger, that's ridiculous! The hole was obviously drilled all the way through when they were drilling the bracket or something similar. They had no concerns about an extreme liability issue?
I wonder if this is common on these tanks? Of course I have one bookmarked on ebay for my xjc.
Bill

Old 12-11-2016, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Whoops!!!

It seems to me that Spectre would jump to make amends. Liabilities and reputation, on the line.

And, just more evidence that new isn't always reliable. Would one think of a "quality control" inspection by a buyer be necessary? At one time, no. Now, sure looks like it

The good part. No damage and no one hurt. And, you had a fix short of removing the tank.

You suppose that some internal changes are being made at Spectre???

Carl

Old 12-11-2016, 09:18 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Why not ask Spectra directly?

Spectra Premium Industries | Contact us

There might be a simple explanation for the extra hole.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Default I contacted the California office by mail

I sent them a letter with photos of the hole before and after...

The only reason for that hole is a mistake by the person tapping the mounting bracket and not "seeing it/admitting it"... should have rejected the tank.

The following users liked this post:
slofut (12-12-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Its pretty blatant and disappointing when they say the tank is pressure tested and it has an obvious hole in it.

Icing on the cake is offering you the satisfaction survey. I have had that a couple of times were companies dishing up ***** sandwiches as service then ask me to complete a survey. I always comply, keep it factual and just list out what they have done/not done/stuffed up. If nothing else its cathartic.

Roger Mabry (12-11-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, but as to surveys, I find that they are slanted to measuring the response of the individual. Limited by company policy and rules, of course.

So, the survey falls short of commenting on company policy and not even close to the
guy that busted through or the one that did the pressure test. Each flunked big time.
But, the survey misses that.

Sure am curious as to how Spectra will respond!!!

One might think your Vendor would want words with Spectra. Not only Spectra's rep on the line, but theirs!!!

Carl

Old 12-12-2016, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry
I sent them a letter with photos of the hole before and after...

The only reason for that hole is a mistake by the person tapping the mounting bracket and not "seeing it/admitting it"... should have rejected the tank.
What about the Spectra three year guarantee?

Old 12-12-2016, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Default My vendor has not heard from Spectra

The place I bought the tank contacted Spectra but has no reply yet.. or they have not told me about the reply..

I will hear from Spectra eventually..one way or the other..

Overall, I have not seen any evidence of the three year warranty... plus it is very had to ship used gas tanks... most companies will not accept them if they smell any gasoline... so the defective ones need to be tossed...

Will keep this post open until the END is reached. Vendor just upped their Rebate to $30.00 and still want me to fill out their Survey!

Old 12-12-2016, 02:33 PM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts

If you want to get some response from these clowns do a little research as to who runs the company and send him/her (and the next 3 people under the owner) ... a simple link to this thread.

It is financial suicide to have this kind of "screwing the customer" stuff taking place.

Probably a lot of irresponsible people in the pipeline, who may need a few days off without pay.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:53 PM

The place I bought the tank contacted Spectra but has no reply yet.. or they have not told me about the reply..
So you've not contacted Spectra directly.

Ah.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:37 PM
Received 116 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
So you've not contacted Spectra directly.

Ah.
Give him a break Mikey. He obviously wants to go through the dealer he bought it from until that option is exhausted. ... which may be sooner than later. I prob would go over their heads and call spectra though.

And there's no good reason for that hole to be there.

Old 12-12-2016, 04:44 PM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts

They are missing a golden opportunity to express goodwill towards their client base. The replacement cost for them is negligible relative to the amount of ill will that this will generate.

We are all human and prone to making mistakes....but it is how you make up for the error / inconvenience that determines how your company is perceived. . Do I look forward to dealing with them in the event one of my tanks fail...??? nuff said

Doug (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Default Going through dealer/vendor and Spectra at same time

I am communicating with both... I went through the vendor as first choice since I bought it from them... 15 months instead of one year... they have as much trouble reaching someone at Spectra as I do... must have very poor dealer rep and poor method of contact... or they just really want me to "go away" and accept their $30.00...

Old 12-12-2016, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Default They are replacing the tank

My vendor got approval to ship a replacement tank.. they do not want the defective one returned.

Now I just have to see if my repair actually holds up... I am curious about the repair I made.. so far there is no leak.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member

That is great. And, the way it outta be.

Yeah, why incur the expense of paying to ship a busted tank.

Your fix will probably last as long as you will need it.

Warranty issues abound. Went through a bit with the maker of my tankless water heater. It now works.

But, son just called. His is just like mine, but a year older. Water all over the floor!!!
Good thing his like mine is in the garage!!!. Let's see how he does...

Carl

Old 12-13-2016, 11:45 AM
Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

just to support the aforementioned, I'm right now in the process of weighting the merits of either repairing my current tanks vs new spectra tanks. keep us posted Roger.
geneo

Old 12-13-2016, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Default My one tank was "defective"

I have used four - soon to be five of their tanks... only this one has ever had a problem.

I sure would not go to the trouble of having one repaired... the coatings flake off over time.. do it right the first time.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:49 PM

My vendor got approval to ship a replacement tank.. they do not want the defective one returned.
Good news. I would have been surprised if they hadn't made good.

I have a prototype/first run production gas tank they made back in the 90s installed in my old Corvette.

My office at the time happened to be just down the street from their main office and the entire staff couldn't have been more professional and helpful during the mock-up process.