XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Jag

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Jag

Hello everyone! I decided to look for an older XJ6 (85). I was wondering if anyone can share anything I should look for when I inspect this car before I buy it. from my understanding its been sitting for a year or two.

Any common items that goes wrong with these models? Oh yeah, this is my first Jag, I always wanted this particular year because of the body line.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,935 Likes on 5,285 Posts

Originally Posted by koya
Hello everyone! I decided to look for an older XJ6 (85). I was wondering if anyone can share anything I should look for when I inspect this car before I buy it. from my understanding its been sitting for a year or two.

Any common items that goes wrong with these models? Oh yeah, this is my first Jag, I always wanted this particular year because of the body line.
RUST!
Especially look for rust bubbles around the windshield and rear window, but also just behind the front tires, the rear wheel flares and under the doors.

Then take up the carpet and look at the bare metal, especially on the driver side just under the gas pedal and see how flaky it is. Then do the same with the passenger floor. If there is anything more than surface rust, be aware you could be in for an expensive project.

Was it stored outside or in a shed? Have mice got into it? Look at the condition of the seats and wood on the dash. Does it smell moldy? Is the headliner water stained? Do the windows work?

Others will be along shortly with other mechanical things to look for, but as my car already has a different engine and transmission I'm probably not qualified to advise you on those, except to warn you to beware of an engine that "only uses a little water" or "didn't pass SMOG."

Welcome to our playpen from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 11-16-2016, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the inputs. I was looking around on the site and found a lot of post dealing with "not starting". I guess the standard stuff to look for. How hard is it to get replacement parts for these for the interior, suspension and parts in general.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Go to the 'how to' thread at the top of this section. There you'll find a buyers guide that might be helpful

Mechanical parts are plentiful. Some trim parts are hard to find new but there's lots of good used stuff out there. New leather, carpet, and headlining is easy to find, though.

Buying any non-running car is always risky.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-16-2016, 01:41 PM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts

Welcome to the Jaguar journey - it is never finished. Or as I often refer to Jag ownership,... the " Forever Endeavor"

If you have patience and a a willingness to learn,... plus a knowledge of basic mechanics and bodywork. you have a good start... oh yeah almost forgot,.. lots of tools, a warm dry place to work, and a large bag of money to spend on it , and a back up car. Good to Go !!!!

Lots of good info here.

The following users liked this post:
bill70j (11-17-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

He, he!!

Best two days:

1. Date of purchase.

2. Date of sale.

Carl

Old 11-17-2016, 02:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

buy one in running condition, do not buy someone else's problem.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member

Jose:

Or do a best guess as to why not running. A casual conversation,
short of an interrogation of he seller.

Take advantage. A running car has a lot more value than one that does not.

And, the physcology (sp), he or she is far more willing to negotiate
on a non runner.

Opposite the other end of the scale. A real beauty that purrs. Big bucks?

And the joker. Basket cases can be bought very cheap and be tons of fun and challenge.

My very first car in 46 was a partly complete non runner. No tires in it's case. Loads of fun in my teen years!!!

Carl

Old 11-17-2016, 09:48 AM

Sorry Carl working on cars is not my idea of fun. Just one of the things that may be needed to get to the final result - a reliable driver.

Years ago while in the process of being conned into purchasing a new Triumph Spitfire (biggest piece of trash I have ever owned), the sales person opened the clam shell front tilt up hood and exclaimed "look at this,..you can actually sit on the front wheel and work on the engine on Saturday mornings"

Damn fool,... Should have realized that was a warning of trouble to come.
Thankfully a few months later a snowplow ran over the damn thing and put it out of its misery. flattened the little pile of iron ...I was so happy..

Old 11-17-2016, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

You seem to have a had a lot of something in your Jaguar adventures. Not fun???

But, if one has to fix aka have fun very Sat. AM just keeping it on the roads,that might dilute the fun.

In 46, school ***, Billy, was a year ahead of me in T's as well as class. He was on his 2nd T. The first threw a rod through the block
between Ruidoso and Alamogordo in New Mexico.

The second was a realy nice 27 roadster with a pickup bed insert.
Mine was 23 T roadster pickup. His a pulled mine around time after time trying to get it to fire up. Work, yeah, but fun. At last we pulled the head. Much easier than a 4.2 Jag. No doubt there. Cranked by hand to observe valve action. SOG, one intake remains open!!! A gentle tap at the right time, it dropped down. More hand cranking verified proper action. Rushed to get the head back on. Filled with water. Back on the tow chain. As soon as I put it in gear, it fired.
Now, that is fun. Drove it home!!! Self taught, sorta.

Next challenge. Wheels ruined, it had no tires....

Met that one as well. Another story for another time.

The beginings of a gear head.

Carl
C

Old 11-17-2016, 01:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alynmurray
Triumph Spitfire (biggest piece of trash I have ever owned)
Alyn: You mean one like this? To paraphrase Carl:

Best two days:

1. Date of acquisition through a dowry.

2. Date of sale.

Bill

Attached Thumbnails First Jag-trium5.jpg  
Old 11-18-2016, 09:20 AM

EXACTLY !!

Here is a laugh for you. Once I lost my car keys for a few hours for this little junker BUT I knew I had a spare ignition key under the carpet somewhere. So how to get into the car? Well standing outside,.. if you run your hand along the cant rail (metal part of the front of the convertible top that fastens to the top of the windsscreen) you can feel the tops of the two clasps inside the car that hold the top to the windscreen...a sharp whack on each side (from the outside) and Presto Chango the top releases and you can get in the car.. OOPs another design flaw ...no valuables to be left in the car in future.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

You got lucky!!!

A couple of decades ago I was on a business trip to LnrB's part of the world. It was summer and hot as... And,. I do fairly well in heat.
This AM, cooold here, not so well.

It was my 85 Ford 4x4 Pickup. Slick and with cooold AC. I finished
my research of some court records and returned to the locked truck.
Opened the curbside door. Tossed in my brief case. Closed the door.
It locked as it should. Oh, 12234564232, I tossed in my keys as well.

Well, I know how to slip the tool box "locks". The rear window is a slider. I've read that a pane can be deflected just enough to release the catch. Screw driver in hand, I pried gently. No go. Oh, more
"expletive deleted.... The tempered glass became pebbles.

But, on the good side, I could reach the door latch !

I wanna go home cool, not with a big hole in the cab.

Off to a convenience store. got a roll of transparent tape. Used
a file folder from my brief case. Taped it up,. Snug and secure again.

Drove home, about three hours as I recall in heat. But comfy insde...

The fix? another story, perhaps.

Carl

Old 11-18-2016, 01:28 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, the POS '74 Triumph Spitfire 1500. It could barely hold temperature even in the modest climate of the LA Beach Towns. But then we got transferred to Houston. In no time that POS was up on Ebay.

The poor soul who bought it proudly backed out of our driveway. And down the street and around the corner he went.

Then I heard the familiar blare of that annoying horn. Not once, but twice. Forgot to tell him that a left turn many times caused the horn to honk.

Thought for sure he would be back. But never saw him again. I am sure he broke down somewhere along his way back to Austin.