XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time used car owner questions: 1984 XJ6 (174k miles)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time used car owner questions: 1984 XJ6 (174k miles)

Howdy!

What key things should I be ensuring that my mechanic is looking at on Jag that I'm about to buy?

I'm doing an independent inspection before purchase. A few well meaning friends have advised me not to get a Jag but...their advice isn't based on personal experience so I'm not sure what to make of it. Wasn't looking for a Jag initially but test drove it and had my heart stolen. I do, however, want to know what I'm in for. I intend to either do maintenance myself or go to the seller who has promised me reasonable indie shop owner rates.

Car Specs:
- '84 XJ6 with 174,400 on it from the 2nd owner with full service records.
- Battery, alternator, transmission, engine mounts, a/c line, tires, brake pads, upper ball joints and fuel hoses have all been replaced new within 6 months.
- Man selling it to me is a Jag mechanic. I feel comfortable w his expertise...but I know jack so that comfort may be an illusion lol

Am I totally insane for this purchase? Is it really $1500 for an oil change as people warn me? What key things should I ask my mechanic to check? Any red flags to look out for in the service records? I am set for the final inspection app't tomorrow.

Thank you for your input!

Last edited by liliputian12; 03-04-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

$1500 for an oil change? I think some people are just pulling your leg. More like $50 or so...mainly cuz you'll need 8-9 quarts of oil.

Go to the top of this section, then to the 'How to' sticky thread, then to the buyers guide. It'll give you some basics to look for....even though you've already taken the plunge :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 03-04-2014, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks very much ~

Last edited by liliputian12; 03-04-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

I've owned a 1984 XJ-6 since 1990 and 1984 was one of the best years for Jaguar in the sense that they were trying hard for quality. My car still has 95% of its original components and still ticking.

that doesn't mean that EVERY 1984 XJ will be so reliable, it depends on the care the car has been given.

I do my own oil changes, I buy the oil filter at a Jaguar dealer, and buy the 9 quarts of 20W50 Castrol oil at any parts store, including Walmart, no such thing as a $1,500. oil & filter change for ANY car.

watch for RUST, transmission should shift smoothly, climate system (Heater and A/C) should work nicely. Headliner (the fabric above your head when driving) should not be collapsed. Both fuel Tanks should have no leaks or issues. Cruise Control should work.

ask the mechanic-owner if "the Stakedown Kit has been installed in the Head", he should know what that means.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:33 PM
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose
watch for RUST, transmission should shift smoothly, climate system (Heater and A/C) should work nicely. Headliner (the fabric above your head when driving) should not be collapsed. Both fuel Tanks should have no leaks or issues. Cruise Control should work.

OH man, did I fail that one!!

Two out of five right

Old 03-05-2014, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

inspecting a Jaguar is no different than inspecting any other used/old car. Always look for condition, condition, condition.

the most expensive oil and filter change I've seen recently was around $39.95 at one of those Quickie Oil Changers. Just don't use Synthetic oil, use only Castrol Mineral oil.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

These cars can rust badly, but if the car hasn't been exposed to a lot of road salt, it could be a whole lot better than average. Is it a Texas car from new ? I don't know much about US weather except that the southern states are supposed to be nice and warm and sunny. Good for rust, bad for UV light ruining paint and trim exposed to sunlight. One key rust point is the windscreen lower corners. The design is very bad for a glue-in screen, (previous XJs were rubber seal), so water collects there and rusts out the metal allowing water into the car.

The head of an independent shop near here in north west England said to me once that the XJ Series 3 was the last of the repairable Jaguars, However this is two-edged, good because DIY is quite easy and parts not too expensive, and bad because there can be an awful lot of repairs to be done. I would expect a lot of work to have already been done with a mileage of 147k, like the head gasket for one, as they rarely get beyond about 80k.

Has the owner got a wodge of repair and parts invoices and proof of servicing to show you ? It does sound as if the car has been cherished and looked after, which is Number One with these cars. An XJ that has been neglected can put you off Jaguars for life. (Except me, as my XJ Series 3 was really awful and I spent a fortune on it, yet now I have an X350 model of XJ, made of aluminium !!)

Old 03-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Good advice all.

I think the history is very important at this age......... if it's someone who has had the car and done all of the work on it, it can be a great buy.

Mechanically these cars are pretty straightforward for the average DIYer, with help from these forums.

I love to hear people quoting things like "Jaguars are expensive to run" "Jaguars break down all the time" "You need to have 2 cars if you are going to buy a Jaguar" "It's going to be a money pit" Why do I like all of these quotes ???? Because they all force the price of second hand Jags down so there are some amazing bargains for us people who are educated on the Marque.

I have had my '84 XJ6 for a year now and I absolutely love it. It is so good I sold by '06 XJ Super V8 Portfolio because I just wasn't using it....... I would rather drive the XJ6 because it has so much more character.

Now that you know you like the XJ6, don't get hung up on buying the first car you see....... there are plenty out there.... take your time and you will find a really good one for pennies

Old 03-05-2014, 05:46 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by liliputian12
........... Am I totally insane for this purchase? Is it really $1500 for an oil change as people warn me? What key things should I ask my mechanic to check? Any red flags to look out for in the service records? I am set for the final inspection app't tomorrow.
You've got good, practical advice here from members who own, run and know Jaguars rather than the rumour merchants who come back with stories about $1500 oil changes.

The two things I always stress to anyone who has never owned a Jaguar before are:

1. vehicle history - is it complete?
2. maintenance - who will be doing it?

The provenance on this one looks good. Second owner and a list of recent work.

Remember this is a 30 year old vehicle. It will go wrong from time to time. Old Jaguars are cars either for enthusiasts who can, or want to learn, how to do their own repairs and maintenance or for those who can pay for expertise.

Carefully weigh up the advice given then balance it against the fact that everyone should own at least one Jaguar in their lives.

I hope it checks out OK.

Graham

Old 06-03-2014, 01:24 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by liliputian12
Howdy!

What key things should I be ensuring that my mechanic is looking at on Jag that I'm about to buy?

I'm doing an independent inspection before purchase. A few well meaning friends have advised me not to get a Jag but...their advice isn't based on personal experience so I'm not sure what to make of it. Wasn't looking for a Jag initially but test drove it and had my heart stolen. I do, however, want to know what I'm in for. I intend to either do maintenance myself or go to the seller who has promised me reasonable indie shop owner rates.

Car Specs:
- '84 XJ6 with 174,400 on it from the 2nd owner with full service records.
- Battery, alternator, transmission, engine mounts, a/c line, tires, brake pads, upper ball joints and fuel hoses have all been replaced new within 6 months.
- Man selling it to me is a Jag mechanic. I feel comfortable w his expertise...but I know jack so that comfort may be an illusion lol

Am I totally insane for this purchase? Is it really $1500 for an oil change as people warn me? What key things should I ask my mechanic to check? Any red flags to look out for in the service records? I am set for the final inspection app't tomorrow.

Thank you for your input!
That is totally insane=$1500. for an oil change..whoever told you that has their head up their *** so far it's scary....sorry but that is an outrageous lie! I own a 1987 Jaguar XJ6 and the oil changes is about the same as other cars, but on my XJS V12 the oil change is $120. but it holds 10 Liters of oil and the oil filter is $30. instead of $7.
I've had to redo the head gasket because it was overheated by the previous owner and I didn't know he lied to me.
I got that fixed then it never caused me any problems except now it needs some front end work....it's parked as I have an XJ-S V12 that I spend my time driving and repairing.........one's Jag's enough....
a joke about jags...."if it aint' leakin' oil-it's because it's OUTA OIL!"

Old 06-03-2014, 01:26 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
You've got good, practical advice here from members who own, run and know Jaguars rather than the rumour merchants who come back with stories about $1500 oil changes.

The two things I always stress to anyone who has never owned a Jaguar before are:

1. vehicle history - is it complete?
2. maintenance - who will be doing it?

The provenance on this one looks good. Second owner and a list of recent work.

Remember this is a 30 year old vehicle. It will go wrong from time to time. Old Jaguars are cars either for enthusiasts who can, or want to learn, how to do their own repairs and maintenance or for those who can pay for expertise.

Carefully weigh up the advice given then balance it against the fact that everyone should own at least one Jaguar in their lives.

I hope it checks out OK.

Graham
I totally agree that everyone should own at least one Jaguar in their lives...they'd learn what luxury was all about, but now owning TWO older Jags puts me barely a step above nuts! haha..one's enough!

Old 06-03-2014, 04:41 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Don't let the rumour mongers and horror stories put you off buying your first Jag.
I bought mine 6 months ago not knowing much about them except the fact I was always going to have a series 1 at some point.
I now know it was well worth the pittance I paid for it and the hundreds of hours I have spent in my garage since have been a hugely satisfying. I know a lot more now about Jaguars(series 1 anyway),but have only taken in a fraction of the knowledge being thrown about on these forums by the members.
Take all the advice from above and jump in the deep end,you will come up for a breath eventually. With a smile as well.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:19 PM
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

liliputian12,

welcome! it seems like you've made a good purchase assuming that no significant rust in the usual spots and the interior is in good to great shape. Since everyone else has much more depth of knowledge and resources in the various repairs involved, I just wanted to say a few things about owning a car around Central Texas and Austin:

The required Texas front plate can cause an airflow issue sometimes on the hottest of hot days. Be sure to either bend it aerodynamically (curved back slightly towards your front tyres) to keep the air moving smoothly.
Getting the AC system recharged with R12 if it hasn't been converted to R132a already can be a bit tricky but is definitely possible if you call around.

I've owned 3 Series III XJ6s, daily drivers all and I have learned SO much over the course of my ownership, and there are still so many things I have yet to attempt myself.

I live up in Waco and drive my XJ to and from Austin to visit friends and go to events, etc. - there are so many wonderful roads and highways in your area to enjoy a nice drive in this model of car. A drive through hill country or along the TX130 tollway or down the MoPac on a nice day in your Xj6 is a very enjoyable experience to be sure.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member

dumb question but why do you want a 1984 XJ-6 ??

I ask because these cars are selling for around $2,500. and you can get a 1987 (last year made) for the same price as a 1984.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Although my 83 is lumped, I love the car. One of my favorites amongst all the csrs I've owned or were furnished for my use.

At times folks know not of what they speak. But, DIY isan important talent, lest shop rates devour you. I've no issue with the pro's, they need to make a livingh as well.

Slick, new to me refurb'ds Dell omn W7 Pro a delight.

Carl

Old 06-09-2014, 05:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to the world of Jaguar,
I also purchased a series 3 against the advice and judgment of my friends, and I love mine. Everyone seems to have these misconceptions about these cars, but they are wrong. They have some quirks, but every type of car does.
In 2 years of driving my Jag I have spent less on it than any other classic I have owned. The most I have spent was on the rear end, which if you didn't know is a labour intensive job to repair if it has to be removed for example rotor replacement, mine was leaking so when it came off I replaced everything, shocks,rotors, seals, u joints with new, and all that cost around $1500. The rest is now gravy.
My 86 is as reliable as any other classic I have ever owned, and I call my 86 a classic because it really is, and sometimes I spend some money on it because I want to, not have to.

Make the leap and enjoy the car if it checks out.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:24 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an 1984 too. Buetiful car to own and drive. Agree with everyone else don't let non jags owners get too you. Once you own one you never go back. I wish I kept mine. Now we have an 1985 so not much difference. Some interior parts are hard to fine new if damaged.
Agree that the quirks are no different to any other classic if anything they hold up better. Best of luck.