XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

horrible rear end vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 10:29 AM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts
Default horrible rear end vibration

Back to a dilemma that I put off on my 1985 xj6 Vanden Plas. So it was a vibration at high speeds, the type that you refer to as wheel balancing. This weekend I went for a little road trip and the vibration grew and became a grind in a sorta way. it feels like something is binding in the rear end and actually slows me down and has a loud vibration(grind) to it at low speeds now. maybe they are not related. so as I was going around a corner I was able to open my door and it sounds like the rear driver wheel(left hand steering). My best way to describe it is, feels like there is a u-joint at the end of the axle at the wheel that is covered by the rubber boot and its bad and moves in a way that it binds within the socket. I can punch the gas peddle and power thru it and it goes away until I slow down again. Is there a diagram I can look at of the axle to see if this is actually possible? I tried shacking the axle and turning the wheel but it seems good, but I realize that I cant always tell by looking and yanking on u-joint type connections.
Id really appreciate any ideas before I head back out and start tearing apart the axle, so I don't end up wasting my effort if someone else knows some type of idea to try and narrow it down.
btw It doesn't seem to be the pumpkin, there doesn't appear to be excessive play, but I'm not ruling it out. I checked the fliud, it looked good and clean with almost no shavings, and it doesn't bind or slip like I've experienced before with fried rear ends, but I have no experience with jaguar rear ends going out either.
Thank you for your help.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:26 AM

well its not those ujoints. maybe wheel bearing but I don't see any shavings, but does feel a little dry as I turn it, but no play..??????

Old 12-01-2014, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Well, there are five ujoints back there! So, one or more could be rough. Trouble is that it's hard to feel if one has gone bad, unless it is real bad.

And, the hub or as some call 'em uprights have two bearings. The way to lube them leaves a lot to be desired.

Service on the latter is best done on the bench. Lot of work and a bit fiddly, but doable. Were it my car, I'd be tempted to swap in a good used one. David Boger at everydayxj can provide one.

Stripped pinion or ring gear teeth in the pumpkin are rare so long as kept in lube. but, when they go in any critter, it's terminal. Don't ask!!!

Carl

The following users liked this post:
davidboger (12-19-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 12:00 PM

I think it might be the tranny. Never had one go out like this before though. it it normal for the trannys in jags to make a vibration like this?

Old 12-01-2014, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Well, the Jaguar BW transmissions are close cousins to the FMX's used in Fords way back. Basic, but solid. I don't think that is your issue.

But, what might be is the center drive shaft bearing. Loose, busted or merely misaligned, a "whipping" drive shaft could do that. why jaguar engioneers chose to have it is beyond my expertise.

When my car got "lumped' it got a one piece drive shaft. It works just fine.

Sounds can travel and be very misleading. Driver side rear? yeah, that is closest to you!

Oh, Jaguar uses a very complex transmission mount. Why, I dunno. Same logic. But, if it moves around, it is a drive shaft issue again.

A decade or so ago, a rear joint on my 85 Ford F150 4x4 went bad. I was a long way from home. Very fussy at acceleration and deceleration. But, if on "float" was OK. I limped home on "float". Wowee, when I pulled it, it was real bad. Two of the cross shafts almost gone!

And well before that, one went out on my Cordoba. Helluva a racket. I limped into a service station. Lucky me, mechanic on duty. part in stock. He had a neat little tool and R&R'd on the lift. Lucky me, I was quite a way and a bridge away from home.

Check the trans mount and the center bearing.

Carl

Old 12-01-2014, 12:21 PM

when it comes to the trans mount, I've never seen one like this. yes it moves a lot, but its like its suppose to with the huge spring on it. I personally think it moves to much and I would agree that it could be the case. Is it suppose to move around a lot with the spring? the rubber sides look great and I've always seen those go bad on other cars. I believe the center bearing is ok. doesn't look to be bad but I have to really get into it, under that big plate that covers it all up. Can I get a little info on the tranny mount issue for clarification please?
Thank you so much

Old 12-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member

Others will need to chime in on the trans mount thing. I took one out. No more expan that.

If you can find a parts book display, it might have exploded view it to assist in figuring it out.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:50 PM

Well it has to be either the mount or the tranny. I've had a real gars time thinking it to be the tranny, but now it's slipping. Doesn't make sense that it would shake, vibrate, act like a binding gear and end up being the tranny bad. I am leaning toward the mount for now but still waiting on clarification of how much that mount should move.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:27 PM
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Tranny mount should move quite a bit when pushing on it, but only up and down.

amaezing (12-01-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 08:09 PM

I do appreciate the help and input on this. Unfortunately it is the tranny I am not happy about it, but it's life. Anyone have a tranny? went to pick up my daughter today and all the forward is gone now. reverse gears are strong but all the forward are gone so problem solved.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:32 PM
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Last ditch effort. Did you adjust the bands?

amaezing (12-04-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 06:03 AM

What bands? I will definatly do that if you could please give me some direction. Where are they and how do I adjust them.
Thank you very much.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
amaezing (12-04-2014), Jag7651 (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 03:47 PM

Thank you for the info on the band adjustments. I will get on it first thing in the morning. I got the plate off and it was very easy. I see what I need to do now but ran out of time today.
I'll give you an update tomorrow.
Thanks again.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:32 PM

Well it seems like it's doing better. It apparently was low on fluid and I loosened a bolt that made me loose a lot of fluid. Got it to engage slowly and more often. Drove it around my parking lot a few times. Got better and better till I ran out of gas. I don't know if it's fixed completely yet, but at least I'm hopeful about it now.
Thanks for the help. The adjustment was out pretty good so I'm glad that I got that info and link.
I'll give you an update in a couple days after I get my butt to walk to the gas station and get fuel.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member

Amaezing:

Well, it looks like here may be an easier solution. And, yeah, low on fluid and a loose band can raise a bunch of unwanted stuff.

Do you have "Road Service' coverage? if so, call 'em and have them bring over a few gallons. Probably a max of 5!!

As my cars are really old, road service insurance and a cell are "musts". I have both!!

And, Tuesday, each was used. Jaguar pooped out less than a mile away. Oh, a big rains storm in progress. A tale in itself. But, Jag is in the drive, good job by the guy and his flat bed. A bit of help by neighbor as well.

Carl

amaezing (12-04-2014)
Old 12-04-2014, 11:15 AM

Wow I didn't think about having them bring me gas. That's a great idea. Thanks a lot! I've got my fingers crossed that it's fixed.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:13 AM

Well I called them and they wouldn't guarantee me that they would bring 81 octane gas. I'm really **** about octane, so I'll get some today when I get a chance. I'll let you know the results.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

Oh, me. But, every one has their analaties. Coined word!

Save the coin. Your 4.2 will do just fine on 87. 91 isn't necessary and does no good.

My cars, not 4.2's live just fine on 87.

But, to each his own.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:00 PM

I've rebuilt many of motors and I've seen first hand the difference inside the motors. And I've proven that dollars spent for mile travelled there is no difference in cost so if you add equal dollars per mile and improved life of the motor it's well worth fueling sll vehicles with the highest octane available.
But your right, to each his own.

Quick Reply: horrible rear end vibration