XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior trim removal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 10:26 AM
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Interior trim removal?

Hi All. Beginning to do some minor repairs upkeep on the car. So a few questions about removing mouldings, etc.

1. The two piece plastic switch cover on the steering column just forward of the locking ring for the telescoping steering wheel is loose and rattling. There are three screws underneath that hold it together. The front center screw is missing altogether the two rear long screws are slotted and look added after the fact but hold the two pieces tight. Is it just the missing short center screw that holds everything tight? Hard to believe. So I removed the two rear screws and the lower cover piece came clear. But the upper cover piece will not come out. It’s loose but when I try to take it out presses against the locking ring and the rear screw plastic moulding sleeve hangs up on a component on the steering column. I assume you just have to work it out. But I don’t want to break anything. Advice?

Second, the whole piece that holds the directionals and hazard controls itself is loose (proper term?) around the steering column. So when you turn on the hazards or the turn signals it moves around the column (not a lot but you can definitely twist it some). What holds the component with the signals tight on the steering column so it doesn’t rotate? Again, is it just the two piece moulding?

2. My passenger electric door lock needs lubricating. I assume it’s accessed by removing a piece of door moulding. How is this done?

3. The vinyl fabric has come loose from the bottom of the rear right passenger door latch recess. Again, I’d like to remove the trim to glue it down properly. How to do this?

4. My shift ID plate has a crack along the thin side (towards passenger seat). When I shift the thin plastic piece actually pops out and up. I’d like to take the plate off to epoxy it properly and neatly. Do I just need to unscrew the small black screw above the shift lever and work it out of the console? Or is it more complex? Also can you just unscrew the two piece shift knob and if so is it just righty tighty? Again, I don’t want to break anything.

5. Finally, both my rear seatbelt buckles appear to be installed backwards. They are not twisted but are clearly facing the wrong way. Can you access the bottom bracket to take them off and rethread the belt through the buckle properly? If so, how does one remove the rear seat to do so? Or is it better to go through the top retractor? I have visions of opening that up and having everything going sproing!

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-09-2018, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

I will respond part by part: the upper column shroud has a flange in it which prevents it being removed unless you lower the column itself slightly. This is very easily done. Remove the underdash panel. You will be able to see the bolts that hold the column in place. Loosen, but do NOT remove the bolts (there are shims that might fall out). This allows the column to drop enough to remove the shroud.
the directionals and hazard switch: held tight by screws in the clamp. careful examination will reveal the arrangement.
door locks: all the lock mechanisms should be lubricated and this means removing the inner door panels - not difficult. But we can get to that later. The VERY BEST lubricant for the locks can be bought at Canadian Tire: it is Rust Check, made in Mississauga, Ontario (generally found in the automotive paint aisle, red/silver spray can); this is a super-lubricant as well as rust inhibitor, harmless to paint and electrical components... its uses on the Series III cars are many. Use it liberally and work the lock components back and forth including the shaft connecting to the door lock motor. Also grease the rod where it passes through the plastic clips that hold the lock rod to the door. The rod should slide easily through the clips. You want to eliminate as much friction as possible in the lock system.
When you remove the door panels to get at the locks you will be able to reglue the vinyl around the door handle.
The shifter plate: this cracking is found on almost every XJ of the period. To remove the plastic piece just remove the small screw at the end. Now unscrew the two parts of the shift lever handle and slide the plastic piece up and off. You will not break anything in this procedure; the shift angle parts are just made hand-tight.
Seat belts: to remove the seat bottom look at the front surface where it meets the carpet. You will find two screws, one on each side that go through a small metal flange. Remove the screws and pull the seat bottom forward and out. Now you will see the bolts for the seat belt. Remove the bolts, untwist the belt, reinstall everything, done! Do NOT remove the unit pointed on the parcel shelf.

The door panel removal instructions:I can describe this when you are ready to do it. It is different for the VDP/Sovereign and the XJ6 cars.

Last edited by sov211; 09-09-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

1. You have to fully loosen the steering ring to get the cowl piece off. The yellow zinc slotted screws are correct, despite the common use of black phillips elsewhere in the interior. The wipers/turn signals tighten to a plate around the steering column and there is also a screw on a clamping piece around the back.

Here are some pics in case it is helpful

2. To remove the panel, the chrome trim on the end of the armrest/pull slides back to reveal a #4 posidrive, then there are several smaller screws along the bottom, and another underneath the arm rest on an L-bracket. After all the screws are out, you need to remove the arm rest by popping it out of its 2 slots. One slot is forward/back and the other is up/down. I believe the front pops up and the back moves back. Then the panel can be popped free from the door along the bottom and sides, before finally pulling the card up and off the door.

3. Not sure which trim you mean, the black piece that goes around?

4. The plate is indeed just 1 or 2 screws, I dont recall if the cruise switch needs to come out first. Over tightening will cause it to split.

5. The belt buckles are very much accessible. There is 2 screws for the seat bottom, one in the center on each side at the front (between you legs). After removing those you can pop the seat bottom out to access the buckles.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:54 PM

Thanks for your help. Removed the shift ID plate and glued the break and reinstalled. Took out the rear bench and fixed the seat belt. Next question:

my interior is black but in very good shape. It does have scuff marks. Is there anything I can use to restore the black leather and minimize the scuff marks?

thanks.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Gismo
Thanks for your help. Removed the shift ID plate and glued the break and reinstalled. Took out the rear bench and fixed the seat belt. Next question:

my interior is black but in very good shape. It does have scuff marks. Is there anything I can use to restore the black leather and minimize the scuff marks?

thanks.
Yes, absolutely: very simple> Both Color Plus Surflex and Leatherique have the appropriate colour finisheswhich are water soluble and permanent and durable, They replicate exactly theoriginal finish on the leather - and Black is the easiest colour match. Both of these companies (color Plus (note the American spelling) and Leatherique have websiotes on which you can oreder the colourant - you need only a very small amount. They both work perfectly but the Leatherique takes somewhat longer to "set". This is an operation that takes just minutes. I have used these products in almost 30 restorations, each time with perfect concours-ready results.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Depends, is the leather itself damaged or is the scuff where another material came off onto the leather? If the former, Leatherique, as sov211 said, has products for this. If the latter, you may be able to rub the material off with progressively more abrasive materials, first a soft brush and leather cleaner, then a soft white eraser, then perhaps a magic eraser (be very conservative with the magic eraser though). If any of this dulls the finish, you should be able to polish it back out. You may also find that you effectively cleaned the area so its stands out more than the area surrounding it. Remember that leather and vinyl doesn't have too much sheen when new, as you can see in brand new cars. The gloss comes from oil rubbing off onto the surface over time, so you may need to do a thorough cleaning of the entire area of this happens.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:16 AM

Thanks both. It’s just normal wear and tear rather than staining. I’m encouraged to hear it’s an easy fix. I do have a very small vertical split in the vinyl on the rear side of the console box. I’m thinking of just colouring the tan underlay with a black magic marker. I think that would be less obvious than any actual patching repair.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:22 AM

I’m having trouble posting a photo of the damage. Not sure why it’s not posting. Ok. Here we go.

Slit in vinyl