XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just curious..

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 01:18 PM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Just curious..

A couple of years ago I was at the local Pick n Pull yard and came across a new arrival,.. an 85 XJ6 VDP
Heavy damage on passenger side. But the car only had 62,000 miles on it.
There was so much really nice ,..good stuff still on it. Had been pampered and garaged..(no wet front floors/carpet). Perfect interior (snagged it all,.. for spares - same color as mine - Doeskin.) As I was collecting up my new found treasures, I rummaged through the boot (trunk) Found some furry things and realized/remembered that VDP cars came with long haired sheepskin floor mats but I had never actually seen any still in a car. Does anyone know anything about this VDP feature? Does anyone still have a set? I would like to find out just how rare a "like new" factory original set is. There were only 3 mats as the drivers floor did not have one,..but I did manage to snag all the like new Wilton Wool original carpeting with Inset rubber pad with Jaguar logo. Sheepskin mats got a warm shampoo and conditioner treatment, dried slowly then combed out - beautiful. Never hear anything about VDP long sheepskin floor mats

Old 12-31-2015, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Normal that the driver position did not have the mat.

I think there were a couple variations: fleece material/texture and...and...and ...can't remember the actual name....the long stranded 'goat's hair' type

That's about as much as I know.

Others will chime in

Cheers
DD

PS- are you sure about the 'Wilton wool'? actual wool? AFAIK it hasn't been seen in Jags since the 60s

Old 12-31-2015, 05:36 PM
Default Just curious

Yeah that is what I thought I had read somewhere - only 3 floor mats made up a set. I wonder just how many Jag owners still have them?

These I have, are the long haired goat skins style. They had been thrown into the boot of the donor car in nice condition, but somewhat dirty.
As I mentioned in original post - I gave them a warm water shampoo and some conditioner. Came out really nice. I guess they are most appreciated when ,..on long trips, the passengers can take off their shoes and the floor mats feel real comfortable. They go together very nicely with the heavy genuine sheepskins I have on front / back seats.
At some point I will install dyna mat or something similar to interior - inside doors, under headliner /carpets..

Old 12-31-2015, 05:47 PM
Default Just curious

Don't know about the Wilton wool aspect of things,...I have always called the standard carpeting in the S3 cars - Wilton wool.

Must have read it somewhere and have always referred to the carpeting as Wilton wool.

Now I think about it,..I remember doing some research trying to find some direct replacement front carpeting for my car when I was ripping out the water damaged /rotted carpeting - result of windscreen leaks.

I believe I saw that term mentioned while doing research on internet. I was probably wrong, and in that case I have the regular carpeting from the donor car which matched what I have in my car. Do not know what it is called, but the carpeting in my XJ is now like factory new. l

Old 12-31-2015, 09:44 PM
Received 176 Likes on 119 Posts

Hi Alyn,

Jaguar documentation sometimes referred to these mats as fur fabric rugs.

There are different reference numbers for left and right hand drive front mats.

Mine are BBC 6588LE (LE being the colour slate)

I only have the rear sets and am always sniffing around for the fronts!

Cheers,

Nigel

Attached Thumbnails Just curious..-vdp-mats-1.jpg   Just curious..-vdp-mats-2.jpg   Just curious..-vdp-mats-3.jpg  
Old 01-01-2016, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Angora !!!! Memory works!!!

Yeah, sheep not acceptable to Texans. OTH, goat is just fine.

Goats are much smarter than sheep.

My son has "Billy", a big goat, friendly but very cunning. His SO has
rosebud, a sheep. friendly as well, but dumb as a post...

Billy looks out for Rosebud. Coyotes and bob cats don't want to mess with Billy.

Carl

The following 2 users liked this post by JagCad:
Doug (01-01-2016), Flint Ironstag (01-02-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 02:52 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I have the originals for my 86 Vanden Plas, for a doe skin interior, a color I could best describe as mocha. They don't seem as "fluffy" as your Nigel...I'll bet the grey one's you have are really rare. They do pop up on ebay from time to time.

On the topic of floormats, any decent vendors out there? I've been pretty dissappointed looking online. My biggest goal is color match and decent heel pad for the driver.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by thedugger1
On the topic of floormats, any decent vendors out there? I've been pretty dissappointed looking online. My biggest goal is color match and decent heel pad for the driver.
X2. Mine are not worn out but would like to refresh with new front ones if I could find any.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:15 AM
Received 134 Likes on 100 Posts

I picked up a set of four grey sheepskin mats for my X330 from e-bay just last year. Took some finding but they are available. Mine are short in the rear but acceptable!

Old 01-02-2016, 05:44 PM
Default just curious

Yes,.. I went out and took a close look at the mats and they are "mocha" in color.
My original carpeting on my 86 VDP - on driver's side was just plain carpeting and rotted from windscreen leaks .. the replacement ones I got have the rubber heel pad with Jaguar logo all in one piece. Was super happy to have found this newer carpeting.