XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kent wheel caps

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 05:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Kent wheel caps

Hi All, Can anyone advise how to remove the Daimler badge from a damaged Kent wheel cap as the badge is undamaged and where to buy new caps.

Last edited by prettydaim; 12-01-2016 at 05:27 PM. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 12-03-2016, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

I've seen the caps / emblems in eBay.

I can't remember if they are help in place with bendable tangs / tabs, or if they are glued.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:09 PM

Thanks Jose, these are glued in but I am not game to try to lever the plastic badge up and unsure what would be the best method of loosening it,hot water /hair drier?

Old 12-03-2016, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Hot water probably best, then try leverage but with a wide blade like a paint scraper, and go gently with it.

The following users liked this post:
prettydaim (12-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by prettydaim
Thanks Jose, these are glued in but I am not game to try to lever the plastic badge up and unsure what would be the best method of loosening it,hot water /hair drier?
if these are old, chances are the glue is dried anyway, so they should be easy to pry off, the only risk with any method is that the paint behind the plastic may remain stuck to the metal, but all you do is respray the rear in gloss black.

I do the latter with Ford plastic emblems for friends, painting them in different colors to remove the horrible blue Ford color. I painted mine in white.

you can sand off the rear paint without disturbing the chrome or gold paint encrusted in the Growler or the D. I also do that with electric guitar knobs. Very easy.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:01 PM

Thanks again Jose, I will take your advice and give it a go,would you use Enamel against using thinner based paint, however the silver is almost like a crombe but has detieriated so what would you suggest for that.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

ok, go to the ladies counter where they have nail polish, look for the gold or silver sparkle nail polish,

dip the emblems in mineral spirits (thinner) and remove everything with an old toothbrush until the emblem is clear;

once you get that done, use the silver or gold to paint the "D" which is usually a "valley" down into the plastic. With a straight edge, clean the edges with thinner as you paint it, (nail polish dries fast, do not let it sit where you don't want it), but do not use nail polish remover, it will damage the plastic.

once you are satisfied with the emblem's gold or silver outline, let it cure for a day, then spray the rear with any gloss black spray paint or any color you want them. I would experiment painting them in the same color as the car's body.

the pictures below show how I did it with the emblems in my Ford minivan, it is similar with some Jaguar or Daimler emblems. For example the steering wheel emblem and the hubcap emblems.

Attached Thumbnails Kent wheel caps-01-blue-emblems.jpg   Kent wheel caps-02-emblems-removed.jpg   Kent wheel caps-03-white-emblems.jpg  
Old 12-03-2016, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

let the paint cure for a few days, and then use a few drops of car model cement to glue them in place. Doesn't take a lot of glue. just a drop in the four compass points of the rear of the emblem, like an imaginary "cross".

Old 12-03-2016, 06:07 PM

Thank You So Much Jose for the time and trouble you have gone to ,I am much obliged.

Old 12-04-2016, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member

you welcome, I forgot to say, nowadays the nail polish is also available in "chrome", just look at women's nails, they are chromed!!

Attached Thumbnails Kent wheel caps-chrome%3Dnail-polish.jpg  

Last edited by Jose; 12-04-2016 at 05:56 AM.
prettydaim (12-04-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

He,he::

1. I am impressed. Jose, very nice work. But, Ford sans blue, in white??? Ugh, my blood still has a tint of Henry's other color.

2. I wonder if Elinor is taking note of the nail color options. But, OTH, her colors are clearly bright red and black!!!

3. My pristine Lattice wheels came sans emblems. Here and there I rounded up 5. Four black. My choice. I failed to note one was green!!!! I used it. Durn. As it involves removing that wheel to swap emblems, it ain't going to happen.

4. Too bad. But, the caps and emblems on my original Kents were quite nice and in metal. I "monkeyed: around for a bit to find a way to use them. No luck. They repose in my old office. Destiny ???

Carl

Old 12-04-2016, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Carl mi amigo, I'm not the only one, others don't like that blue color, especially those with green, red, or yellow Fords, so I have matched their emblems to the car's color. They ask me at red lights who did the emblems and I tell them "Moi" !!

Attached Thumbnails Kent wheel caps-white-ford-emblem.jpg   Kent wheel caps-front-white-emblem.jpg  
Old 12-04-2016, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Compadre:

To each his own. New Fords probably just "out of the mold".

I wonder if somewhere in my stuff, a true blue Ford medallion exists.
There is a fancy name for them that escapes me for the time being.

But, my compliments to your ingenuity and workmanship.

My mind has been wandering around from time as to how to create
a hood emblem for my Jeep that dates back to the original "Pop Eye"
cartoon character.

Carl

Old 12-04-2016, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

I wonder what happened to the Maverick, it was one of my favorite Fords after the 1934, any 1934.

Attached Thumbnails Kent wheel caps-ford-maverick-emblem.jpg  
Old 12-04-2016, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Yup!!

Never owned a Maverick. But, I did acquire a set of wire wheels that either came from a Maverick or just happened to fit one. Real wires, not
pseudo caps.

1. I swapped a Hi Standard .22 pistol for a raggedy 34 Ford 5 window coupe. No fenders or running boards or hood, either!!! Powered by a swapped in 41 engine. It ran, sorta. One class mate had one that was it's almost twin. We "raced"!! Another class mate had a real beauty. He was far more civilized. He went on to become an MD.
Well the other went on to be a rocket scientist.

2. I came upon a raggedy 34 Fordor. Purported to have a rebuilt engine Yup, probably true. But all lower end bearings spun and the
crank was "flat". Cut it up in anger. For parts for a roadster project.
Today would be a "find".

3. TV show American Pickers got "snookered? Found a "rare" three
widow 34 coupe in the mud or snow. Purported original !!!
HA!!! No, actually a 34 5 window. Awful rust issues. Wrong wheels, botched top chop top job, wrong engine, and more??? Paid dearly as well.

4. The styling origin was as a little Lincoln. Great genes.

5. In my senior year at High school. 1947. A class mate gathered a bunch of bucks. How, earned honestly, yup. A bit older than us. A fireman!!

Went to CA. and returned with a pristine cream colored 34 three window. Hot flat head V8. Sans front fenders, hood and running boards. But sporting a 32 grill. Admired by all.

Carl

Old 12-04-2016, 01:11 PM

Jose, Thanks again , hot water got them off and patience.

Jose (12-04-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 02:03 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose
if these are old, chances are the glue is dried anyway, so they should be easy to pry off, the only risk with any method is that the paint behind the plastic may remain stuck to the metal, but all you do is respray the rear in gloss black.

I do the latter with Ford plastic emblems for friends, painting them in different colors to remove the horrible blue Ford color. I painted mine in white.

you can sand off the rear paint without disturbing the chrome or gold paint encrusted in the Growler or the D. I also do that with electric guitar knobs. Very easy.
I don't know if they are the same, but I did this on my ex-XJS. Quite hard on the fingers as I did about 8 in total.

I brushed plastic primer on the back and used solvent based basecoat matching my cars paint, left it to get very thick first, but you are probably safer using some plastic paint if you can find a colour that suits you.

Never, never use thinners on the front to clean it with, and mask it off well!!! It crazes the plastic and you have to throw them away, hence the reason for doing 8!

You can polish the front as well to bring back the shine. Using 2000 grit then polishing compound.

prettydaim (12-04-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member

that's weird, I have used thinner on plastics and never caused them any damage. I also do electric guitar volume and tone knobs and to remove the inside paint I dip them in thinner, never any problem.

I am going to do a Series 3 XJ-6 grille emblem, similar to my avatar, but I want a different color other than black background. I have an old spare that I can sacrifice to see if thinner damages it. I'm going to try Ferrari Yellow and a Red Growler. I like those colors.

Attached Thumbnails Kent wheel caps-catalunian-flag.jpg   Kent wheel caps-bailaora.jpg  

Last edited by Jose; 12-04-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

Colors?? Gal, oh yeah!!!

Flamenco!!! My daughter had a boy friend for a time. I didn't think much of him. The "Dad" thing. But, he sure could pick the guitar. And, his Mom could still stomp out a more than fair Flamenco.

Stiil mentaly struggling for the name for the colored part of emblems.

Tankless water heater issue to deal with in a while. And downed by me branches and trunk of a Bay tree. Fuss with State tax boars, etc.

Jose is fortunate. No state income tax!!!

Carl

Old 12-05-2016, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member

oh, you mean Cloissoné ??