XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monroe shock absorbesr installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 08:34 AM
Received 222 Likes on 120 Posts
Smile Monroe shock absorbesr installed

Just an update on my shock absorber replacement. I eventually went with Monroe units all round. Front P/N 39004 and Rear P/N 39003. Also replaced front shock upper bushings. Additionally, I replaced all the Sway bar mounts and the put in new downlinks and their bushings/washers. Found out the Hard way that it's imperative to remove the downlinks to easily access the front lower shock mount hardware. I did the sway bar first and then found out that it all had to come off again to get to the mount bolt. for the shock. - a learning curve! The original passenger side shock was completely collapsed.

Then lowered the rear suspension cage and removed the four shocks. Removing the collets and retainer were a real PITA, but they came out eventually. Luckily I had a really good set of spring compressors to work with. One pass. side rear unit was collapsed and had leaked all its oil. As the cage was lowered, I changed the four mounts as well. Everything went back together easily. Used lots of "copperslip" anti-seize compound on all the hardware.

All the removed shocks were marked Boge and they would appear to be original. Surprised they lasted from 1985 to today! Before the replacements, I thought the car drove quite well, but after the new shocks and mounts, the difference is staggering. So much more "nimble" if that term can be used to describe such a heavy car.

All in all, very pleased with the end result.

The following users liked this post:
andys-GR (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 10:44 AM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Nice job. Not a fun job removing those retaining rings on the rears. Got much more efficient after the first one.
I didn't lower the rear cage to remove mine. Access to the front nut was limited, but it is doable. One rear shock was also complete junk.
I didn't have any trouble with sway bar interference on the front shock. Bolt came right out, both front shocks were replaced in under a half hour. Hmm? Is the new linkage you installed that different, as mine is still stock?
I have no idea what the ride is like on mine yet. After 4+ years, I've finally fired up the LT1; that part went much better than expected. Was feeling good until I put in gear and didn't go anywhere. No fluid pumping. Pump went bad, probably.
Oh well, still have to replace the driver's side floor pan.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

how do you like the ride with the Monroes?

the original shocks were by Girling UK, not Boge. Girling UK was the equivalent of Monroe US. A medium soft ride. Not harsh, not soft.

Boge are what everybody sells for replacements and I don't like them. I prefer Monroe.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:04 AM

Got the link from Welshent P/N C-46186 ($14 each). One of my links was just a long bolt with a few washers to act as spacers - obviously the PO's creativity at work!
I dropped the rear cage as I also replaced the mounts.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:09 AM

I'll double check what was on the original shocks as I recall Boge, but may be mistaken. They were very old and their fasteners did not look previously tampered with.

I am very, very pleased with the Monroes and they were priced nicely too. My car is driven "Gently Sporting style" so I'm content with the handling now.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 280 Posts

WOW! You say "dropped the rear cage" like it was a nothing job! I have new springs, shocks and all bushings, etc for my rear suspension and I don't look forward to that job at all.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member

yeahh! not to mention "dropping" the EXHAUST pipes and resonators FIRST! Try separating those parts after crimping them with "U" clamps! Not a job for me.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by iramphal
I'll double check what was on the original shocks as I recall Boge, but may be mistaken.
My '87 Series III had Boge shocks which I believe were original, but who knows?

I've never found (nor seriously looked for) anything definitive from Jaguar on the subject. Next time I'm slogging thru the hundreds of TSBs and Parts Bulletins I'll keep an eye open for a clue

If you research the Jaguar parts catalogs you'll see that there was a part number change for shocks circa 1985. A part number change is often (but not necessarily) the result of a supplier change and Boge did indeed supply various car makers over the years.....so it's plausible that Jaguar used Boge shocks at some point.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-10-2018, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member

the factory Service Manual illustration shows a Girling shock, identical to the front ones I replaced with Boges, which are terrible shocks in my opinion, might as well use Monroe or Gabriel. I miss Sears shocks from the 1960's.

I will post some pictures later today. Not that it matters, because by now the point is moot, but to prove that Girling was the factory shock at least until 1984 model
year. The Service Manual proves it. If the factory went Boge for 1985 and later, it is not documented, at least not in the Service or Parts manuals.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose
the factory Service Manual illustration shows a Girling shock, identical to the front ones I replaced with Boges, which are terrible shocks in my opinion, might as well use Monroe or Gabriel. I miss Sears shocks from the 1960's.

I will post some pictures later today. Not that it matters, because by now the point is moot, but to prove that Girling was the factory shock at least until 1984 model
year. The Service Manual proves it. If the factory went Boge for 1985 and later, it is not documented, at least not in the Service or Parts manuals.
I hear ya. And I'm sure Jaguar used Girling shocks, no dispute there. No need to prove it to me!

Don't forget, though, that Jaguar did not update all manuals to reflect every change. That's common knowledge...or should be.... by now. Many changes are shown only in the service and parts bulletins...hundreds of 'em. I have 'em all....but slogging thru is a real chore.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-10-2018, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

A problem that does not exist???

A decent new shock bests a decent worn shock!!

Just refreshed Billy's water bucket. Wow, down about 4 of the 5 gallons from yesterday. Heat = thirsty goat. Usually more like 1 gallon per day consumption.

Alas, the guy was expecting a treat. Kibble laced with his meds. Hay bucket and graze must do. SOG, he found a chunk of particle board, some where ! Chomped but rejected. Spoiled goat !!!

Carl

ronbros (08-11-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 12:52 PM

I did not remove or even disconnect the exhaust pipes. Did one side at a time. Just supported the lower control arm on the side I was working on with a jack, then removed the two bolts that hold each mount to the frame and removed the two bolts and the single nut that holds each mount to the cage. Then removed the old shocks, rebuilt the springs to the new shocks and installed the new units. Then, slowly lowered the jack to lower that side of the cage just until I could wriggle each mount out. Installed new mounts and raised the jack to line up the mounts with their bolt holes. Used a "pointy tool" to center the mounting holes and popped back in the bolts. Then did the same on the opposite side.

The exhaust pipes did not foul. Side one took me 6 hours, side two took 2 hours. Funny what you learn as you go. All in all it was not as big a deal as I had anticipated it would be.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:54 PM

Jose,
See previous post on how I did it. The pipes did not foul at all. Perhaps I was lucky!

Jose (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

since 1989 when I bought my XJ6, I haven't replaced the 4 rear shocks or rear brake pads. I have removed the rear pipes and resonators and by golly never again! I also bled the rear brakes under the car but that's it. Loosening, lowering, or removing that rear cage is not for me.

Funny because I have to lower the rear cage in the 1965 S type due to a crack that needs welding and I found someone who is experienced with this job and who insists that I have to help with the job, so I will be learning what it takes.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Old 08-11-2018, 08:13 AM
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Cool logo!!