XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moral Delemma?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 06:14 AM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Unhappy Moral Delemma?

A couple of months ago, I went to my local auto dismantler looking for parts for my Jag. The didn't have any, but pointed me to an old guy in town who is known as the 'Jag Man'. He "has had a few Jags and might have the part I need". I took a drive to his place, knocked on his door and realized I used to know the guy. I told him what I needed, and he said to go and have a look in his back sheds. When I had a look, I discovered a proverbial gold mine of parts. every imaginable part from the smallest washer to complete engine blocks, and 2 S3's and a S2 fairly complete cars. All from series 1,2 and 3 Jags. WOW!!! Then I turned the corner and saw the huge amount of Triumph 2000 and 2500 parts he also has.

Now comes the moral dilemma part. As I was talking to him, and wandering around, it very quickly became obvious that the poor old guy has lost almost all of his marbles. He is defiantly suffering from dementia or Alzheimer very badly. He couldn't remember what anything was or where it would be. He told the same story, about going through the jag assembly plant that used to be in Nelson many years ago, 8 times in less than 10 minutes. he pointed to a mobility scooter and apologized for his son leaving his "motorbike" in the way. It was so very sad.

I decided that it would be very poor form to get any parts from him as he wouldn't know the price and I would feel wrong telling him what it was worth. I made my excuses and headed out. On my way out, I stopped and talked to his wife briefly. I apologized for disturbing them. She said that there is nothing she can do about the parts while he is still 'with her' as Jags were his life.

My big worry is that when he does 'leave' is that the scrap metal guys will be called and all those precious parts will be scrapped. I can't do anything, but it would be such a waste.

I am wondering if there are any New Zealand Jag spares places (not ray at jagspares as he is retired) that would be interested in making contact with her, and coming to some sort of arrangement with her for when he has 'gone' or put into a home. If there is, send me a private message and I will give her name and address. I suspect it will be of great use to her (although hard) as she will probably need to move on herself one day. I don't want to see her getting ripped off, but there is some real value there for her and the greater Jaguar community. This is in Masterton, Wairarapa (1hr north of Wellington)

Cheers
Richard

P.s. I went back to the local auto dismanteler and told them not to send anyone else to see the Jag Man, as he was no longer 'available'

Old 07-04-2015, 07:23 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_gib
P.s. I went back to the local auto dismanteler and told them not to send anyone else to see the Jag Man, as he was no longer 'available'
That is the best you could have done in my opinion.

I hope those parts are never lost to a scrap metal dealer.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yeah, but, offering the fellow a fair price would be entirely proper.

Offering assistance in selling off the inventory, "when the time comes" to his spouse would be proper.

I'm a bit ambivalent as to shutting off inquiries. perhaps the money would be welcome to that couple.

And, while there might be some that would take advantage of them. I think most would not.

I continue to have faith in most of humanity. It is the bad ones that get the ink???

Alzheimer's is but one form of dementia. A particularly devastating one.

Kudos for the thinking of "the right thing to do".

Just my ideas.

Carl.

The following users liked this post:
o1xjr (07-04-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,935 Likes on 5,285 Posts

It is indeed very sad, Richard, but, as you said, there's nothing else you can do besides stop the wrecker from directing anyone else there.
(';')

o1xjr (07-04-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 08:52 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

It's unlikely that it would all go to scrap. Just about anyone in the trade would recognize a 'barn find' situation and call in the big dogs to maximize profits. The question is whether the wife would get her fair share.

There's nothing wrong with offering a fair price for what you need and maybe staying touch with the wife as his health declines would be of help to her.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

think of it as a "rescue" job, pay what you think is fair for the parts you need. If you don't buy the parts, someone else will.

another possibility is that the man will suddenly recover his mind and start asking ridiculous prices for the junk.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member

Jose,

Unfortunately, the mind seldom if ever recovers from that state.

But, it in it's deteriorated stage imagine what just isn't and thusly demand the ridiculous.

But, just respect the situation and make an offer or just pass.

Sad, but it is just life.

Carl

Old 07-04-2015, 09:44 AM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

Depending on your situation and the time and need you have, I would keep in touch with the wife and make sure she knows how to contact you so when the time comes or she needs some advice on those parts and cars you can help assist her.

Just my 2 cents but everyone needs honest advice and help now and then so why not you over someone who is just out to make a quick buck?

At minimum I would let her know about your idea of having some dealers contact her about all this so she is not blindsided wondering who are these people contacting her and wondering if they are trust worthy etc.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:36 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Richard,

I understand your dilemma. We have a close friend who is now dealing with that sort of disease, and it is devastating, and sad. But he himself seems accepting of it and happy to enjoy the current moment without remembering the one before. Which is lucky .

Anyhow I do think they would be better served with at least the option of selling these parts either through you or through someone else with your morals. If absolutely nothing is done then we run the risk that either it will all just get sold for scrap, in which case this man and his wife get very little money for it, or it gets found and sold by someone less considerate than yourself, in which case they still get little money for it. I would say to let the wife know that those parts are worth something and that if and when, with no hurry, they want to sell them they should contact either you or someone else whom you trust. Regardless of whether they were British Car Parts or musical instruments or Beanie Babies, that would be the best for that couple.

I admire your compassion. We've all heard stories about people that have picked up a classic car for much less than market value because they got it from this old lady who had no idea what it was worth. They think this is something to brag about, but I always wonder about the old lady.

-mB

Old 07-06-2015, 07:40 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Walking away from all that could be the worst thing for not only the jag community but them as well.

They might have deteriorating health, but it's clearly been a passion of his, and with dementia, its the important things that they still remember, so reminding him about that, can be a good thing.

If the wife hasn't lost her marbles yet, maybe talk to her about it.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Nice one Richard, good to see there's still people out there with consciences like yourself.
I think in all honesty, if it were me, I'd have probably talked to the wife, offered a fair price for what I needed and perhaps offered to help them get fair prices for whatever I could, to ensure they don't get ripped off by the next guy.

Perhaps they could do with the money?

Old 07-06-2015, 09:00 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I would have if I could find the part I needed. He obviously had a great system for organizing his parts, but I didn't know exactly what I was looking for looked like at the time (A/C amplifier).
The wife definantly still has all her marbles, and was understanding of me turning up. She said that she was not going to do anything while he was still there.

I think I will write her a letter, explaining who I am and what my concerns are, and to give an open offer of assistance, and then leave it in her hands as to what she decides to do.

Thanks for everyones input, and it's great to see that there is still many honest and caring people out there in the world

Daf11e (07-07-2015)
Old 07-06-2015, 09:11 PM
Received 3,805 Likes on 2,785 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_gib
I would have if I could find the part I needed. He obviously had a great system for organizing his parts, but I didn't know exactly what I was looking for looked like at the time (A/C amplifier).
The wife definantly still has all her marbles, and was understanding of me turning up. She said that she was not going to do anything while he was still there.

I think I will write her a letter, explaining who I am and what my concerns are, and to give an open offer of assistance, and then leave it in her hands as to what she decides to do.

Thanks for everyones input, and it's great to see that there is still many honest and caring people out there in the world

Nice.....Very Very Nice........Well done mate!

Old 07-07-2015, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

Richard:

I've been there with my mate. Really tough. My consolation was that I was probably better equipped to deal with it than she. And, that I bore the burden rather than she.
My honor to do so.

Yes, I admire that plan. And hers to not do anything as long as he was there. indeed, fitting.

And, below market is such a vague term in respect classics. Ordinary cars, yeah, can be measured reasonably well. Classic define. Willing seller and willing buyer. Whatever the number....

Carl