XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my heater is blowing cold air

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 06:40 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default my heater is blowing cold air

The heater hoses are hot and the temp dial under the radio is over to the right. Fan is on high and left dial is all the way down. What is causing this?

Old 02-11-2016, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

the under the radio slider I keep centered in my car, it really does nothing to affect the air temperature, its purpose is more to affect the air temp balance between the upper and lower vents, and then, a very subtle effect at that. Make sure the cooling system is full, set system to AUTO, set TEMPto 85. Remove cap at coolant tank. Start engine,allow to warm up, takes a while. Then watch the coolant level at mouth of tank, should remain full as engine heats up to normal, about one inch below the top of the tank's filler neck. If no heat after that check, next check will be the Heater Valve.

The following users liked this post:
Hafrod (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yeah, early on, I found that slider to have only a bit of effect, if any.

I've ignored it for years. Nice warm air.

AC not yet charged! This summer????

Or, if any anomalies, Defrost seems to work at all times.
warm air anywhere OK, if it's cold put.

Carl.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:07 PM

OK, after some looking, I found the two vacuum hoses that go beside the battery box and down toward the lower frame rail. The big one of the two is not hooked up. I also see the check valve on the bigger hose. I removed it and cannot blow through either side. I have it soaking in hot water right now. The heater valve actuator moves when I suck on the hose. Got to go get more vac hose in a minute to at least try to fix one thing today. Lol. Do I need the check valve?

Old 02-14-2016, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, that black and white check valve and hose is the vacuum source for the climate system.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:31 PM

OK, I got the 2 vacuum hoses replaced and plugged into the port at bottom of firewall. I could not see the port till I climbed under the car. I put it on auto and 85 as suggested. The car got to temp but still blowing cold. I removed the passengers side front console panel and found an inline fuse. I pulled the fuse and checked it. It was good. I seen a linkage setup so I lubed it and moved it around. It actually seemed stuck. I also unplugged the two large wiring connectors to check for corrosion. They looked clean so plugged them back in. I started the car again and the linkage started moving slowly. It was moving back and forth real slow but I instantly started feeling heat. I turned the temp dial all the way to cold and it quit blowing hard. I turned it back to 85 but it never blew hard again. It was like it was on low speed. I switched it to high and it will blow full blast though. So I do have a heater but on auto it won't blow high speed. I'll go back out and try again on auto in a minute. The linkage moving back and forth was kinda weird. Shouldn't it move up or down only?

Old 02-14-2016, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Hafrod
I seen a linkage setup so I lubed it and moved it around. It actually seemed stuck. I also unplugged the two large wiring connectors to check for corrosion. They looked clean so plugged them back in. I started the car again and the linkage started moving slowly. It was moving back and forth real slow but I instantly started feeling heat.

Good work ! Progress ! Maybe the servo and all the trap doors just need exercising

So I do have a heater but on auto it won't blow high speed.

Either there's a problem or the auto system is looking at cabin temp versus desired temp doesn't see the need to run the fans at high speed

I'll go back out and try again on auto in a minute. The linkage moving back and forth was kinda weird. Shouldn't it move up or down only?

Not 100% sure what you mean but the linkage is operating 5 flaps in concert. The links and levers operate off cams in the servo motor so the actual movements might look a little weird...sort of robotic, I guess

Cheers
DD

Old 02-15-2016, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member

in HEAT mode, the blowers do not run higher than 3rd speed, the 4th speed is only available n COOL mode.

the check valve: you should be able to blow air through it one way but not the other, if both sides are closed, the little ball inside might be stuck, putting it in warm water with a little detergent for a while should dislodge it.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

YUP, absolute progress. Getting the right hoses on to the teeny spigots under the battery is a feat in it self !!! No visibility, tactile only!!

The one way is essential. Engine pumps out air and creates the required vacumn. Valve prevents it from bleeding back! Resevoir stores vac!!

When mine has acting up and I want warm air, I just select defrost.
Warm air in to the cabin, where ever is fine. Lately, it ahs done just exquisite. Auto selection a real treat.

I did modify my system. I added a manual valve to the heater hose not controlled by the vacuum actuated valve on the fire wall.

A summer/winter setting, if you will. No hot water in the matrix for
summer powered ventilation. Open in winter and it is nice and cozy inside!!

Carl