XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here and i have a couple of problems with a 92

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here and i have a couple of problems with a 92

the car is a 1992 XJ12 series III and ièm taking it over from my uncle who has no patience for this car anymore. It's still his but i will be taking care of it. Ièm taking the risk of posting my questions here because i dont see where else to post. It says 1969 - 1987 in the forum description but this is the 1992. Hopefully you guys will still be able to help me with your knowledge.

here goes:

-the radio antenna just broke, i will change it but ièm having a hard time finding the part (at a reasonable price). the dealer no longer have part for the car and i cant seams to be able to find the antenna without the motor. with the motor its like 600$ CND. I'll eventually find it but in the mean time ièm unable to listen to music. No cd, tape nothing cause as soon as i turn the radio on the cable start spewing out and the part of the antenna that is still intact just hangs and dangles there. I was wondering if there was a fuse or at least how to disconnest the power so that it dont do that? any ideas would help cause I'm cluless

-The spedometer wont work.. actually it itermitent. works sometimes wont others. I'm thinking maybe there is some sort of transducer but I'm not sure.

-what is a good place to order parts? I'm sure you guys know the best website to order at the cheapest prices.

Thanks for any or all help. If you need anymore info on the car let me know

Old 09-16-2009, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey Tark, welcome to the forums.
Re your issues, there are a few members here more than capable of helping you I'm sure.
In the first instance I'd say try contacting Ken@britishparts or Jagtechohio, both are members here. You could try posting into the general tech help section which they also frequent.
I'm sure they can offer some really good sound advice and or possible help with replacement parts.
There are some other great and knowledgable members out there too but these two spring to mind.

Good luck

Old 09-16-2009, 06:42 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Tark, if you can get under the car and look on the side of the transmission, you should see a cable coming out of the side and running up to the dash. Odds are, the end of this cable has been rounded and is slipping, causing the intermittent indication that you are seeing. Replacing it isn't bad other than having to pull out the instrument cluster to undo the back of the cable.

As for the stereo, are you set on keeping all jaguar parts in the car? If not, you may be able to get away with an aftermarket electric antenna. The big question is whether the aftermarket ones will fit in the factory location. Odds are, they will. Then you can normally re-use the exterior parts to help keep the lines of the car. I wish I could get my hands on your car as seeing it would help me figure out what is possible. The hard part will be converting the plug to match up to the new antenna. Not really that hard, you simply have to get both halves of the plug and rewire say the antenna side of the plug so you can make it work.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JimC64

There are some other great and knowledgable members out there too but these two spring to mind.

Good luck

In steps Thermo as if on cue

Old 09-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

A 1992 Jaguar XJ12 series III is not a U.S. car, but the drivetrain is XJS and the body, chassis, and electrical is U.S. 1987 XJ6 Series III as far as I know.

Speedo is electronic, signal is from a transducer at the left rear of the transmission tailshaft housing. New transducer is maybe $150.00

The factory antenna has a remotely mounted motor: most aftermarket powered antennas have the motor and drive reel at the base of the mast. There is minimal clearance in this area, between the tail lamp and the right fuel tank.

I have a good used complete antenna assembly, and I don't believe you can buy them new from Jag. Component parts were never sold separately for these, you can't just buy a mast.

For now, look in the spare tire compartment for the antenna motor. Unplug the green relay, that will solve the problem for the moment. You can cut off the broken mast, it is not repairable. PM me if you need more help.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by JagtechOhio
A 1992 Jaguar XJ12 series III is not a U.S. car, but the drivetrain is XJS and the body, chassis, and electrical is U.S. 1987 XJ6 Series III as far as I know.

Speedo is electronic, signal is from a transducer at the left rear of the transmission tailshaft housing. New transducer is maybe $150.00

The factory antenna has a remotely mounted motor: most aftermarket powered antennas have the motor and drive reel at the base of the mast. There is minimal clearance in this area, between the tail lamp and the right fuel tank.

I have a good used complete antenna assembly, and I don't believe you can buy them new from Jag. Component parts were never sold separately for these, you can't just buy a mast.

For now, look in the spare tire compartment for the antenna motor. Unplug the green relay, that will solve the problem for the moment. You can cut off the broken mast, it is not repairable. PM me if you need more help.
So the motor for the antenna is actually
in the boot close to the spare? Wow I was totally off then. I could see the mast and the mounting for the mast so I just assumed it was behind that. I'll check for it in the spare compartment.

For the transducer I'll check that first... It should be way easier then changing the whole cable

Old 09-17-2009, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  19.3 KB

Nice assist Jagetch.
You've got yourself some great help there Tark, hopefull you'll get your issues sorted

Old 09-17-2009, 12:59 PM

So I checked and the motor is not in the trunk! The is nothing but the fuel lines. I'm thinking it would be behind the tail light assembly. That sucks.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Then it's aftermarket, or the car configuration is unfamiliar to me as it is not a U.S. model.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The motor is closer to the latch, in the center of the trunk. The green relay that JTO mentioned is next to it.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by ken@britishparts.com
The motor is closer to the latch, in the center of the trunk. The green relay that JTO mentioned is next to it.
Ah... Yes found it and tried disconnecting the light blue wire and now I'm screwed cause the radio doesn't turn on at all! Is there a fuse somewhere cause I reconnected eberythin the way it was and still it doesn't work. :wtc:

Old 09-19-2009, 11:17 AM

Ok found it never mind. Thanks alot for the help guys... You are awesome.