Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Jag-Aire Installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 12:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts
Default New Jag-Aire Installation

About a month ago now, just as the local weather was beginning to cool beyond the need for daily AC, Nix's climate control failed to control the cabin climate.

Oops!

I had no cool, and I had no heat (not that I needed it at that moment, but evenings are getting chilly). I had both fans in High blowing ambient outside air. I suspected the Amplifier, which is Only 42+ years old for heaven sake!

I have taken apart more than one Xj6 in the wrecking yard (blowers and other CC components), so I know how much work it is to access the amp, and I just don't want to tear Nix apart to that extent.

I had saved this post from Gary Crosby at Jag-Aire.com, how to perform diagnostics on the system which I did:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...7/#post1723763

First to test the existing amp, I separated the connector behind the Left cheek panel.

A small screwdriver pries the two halves apart. It might seem like they're locked together but this is an illusion. The lugs are not locking but merely for location.

The probes on my tester were too thick to fit into the female receptacles so I found some tiny nails that worked just fine without deforming the receptacles. These were for testing the servo and the feedback pot, both of which passed with flying colors.

Then I called Gary, and he had a couple sensor tests to do just to make sure it was indeed the amp and not a wonkie sensor causing the problem, but, all tests came out pointing to the Amp. So I ordered one. It got to me 3 days later.

I had a few questions, but all my concerns and questions were answered completely and understandably. Gary gives new meaning to the term, Customer Service and Customer Support. He gets 5 stars from me!

The replacement amp came very well packed, with installation and testing instructions included. It's a Very complete guide to the operation of the electronic controls of the Delanair II system.

The first order of business was to find a good ground (earth) that was easy to access. The OEM ground point also mounted one end of the fan relay box and was Anything but easy to access. So I found another screw that supported the main harness. I had a good solid ground here.

On the back of the Jag-Aire is a trim pot to adjust the unit if necessary, either warmer or cooler if your individual car needs any fiddling. I got the engine to operating temperature, hung a thermometer from the trinket shelf (the location of cabin temp sensor in Series 2) and set the temperature selector, on 75 as directed. It held there for about 15 minutes, alternating from compressor on and off with little discernible change in cabin temperature. So I didn't touch the trim adjustment.

As I mentioned earlier, I decided I didn't want to attempt removing the defective Amp, but I found a small cavity where it fits, *just right,* lying on that giant harness, between the firewall and the blower relay. There's plenty of space for the new harness.

And if you didn't know, you would never know things are changed behind this panel.

Everyone is so pleased! Nix has automatic climate control again, I'm pleased that I don't have to worry about it for another 30 or 40 years.

Some may look at the price of this replacement and hesitate. To put $337.00 in perspective, I just forked out $380+ for a pair of tires on one of my rigs, which might last 3 or 4 years, at which time I will doubtless spend even more to replace those tires if I keep the vehicle. The old amp lasted nearly 43 years with 1970s technology. If this New one, with modern components lasts, say, 10 years (at which time the car will be 53 years old and I may or may not still own it), it will have been one of the more economical and fiscally responsible purchases I've made in a long time.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 10-19-2018 at 05:07 PM.
The following 12 users liked this post by LnrB:
andys-GR (10-27-2018), Daf11e (10-19-2018), davidboger (06-17-2021), Doug (10-19-2018), Grant Francis (10-19-2018), Greg in France (06-17-2021), Jag7651 (10-19-2018), Mike1610 (06-18-2021), Roger Mabry (10-19-2018), S.Bunzel (12-15-2018), yachtmanbuttson (10-22-2018), yarpos (10-19-2018) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-19-2018, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Xlnt work. What else from Elinor.

And well earned kudos to Crosby. No substtute for 'word of mouth" in advancing one's business. .

Tires!!! Yup, just a fixed cost of driving, Actually a bit more, more than miles, just time... Recently reshod the Jeep, Just over 400 ! Could have gotten by with circa 360 for touring. Naah contrary to logic, it got Goodyear Wrangles off road capable. Just like the OEM virgin spare in the "boot". It just looks right.... As a good Jeep should.

The analogies are valid.

And yeah, as I get it, leaving the dead amp in situ is the usual practice.

Carl.

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (10-19-2018)
Old 06-17-2021, 02:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 354 Likes on 214 Posts

Hello everyone.
Need help with the climate control unit for XJS, XJ lllser to 1987. I would very much like to buy a new or remake. It will be like a guarantee that it will work.
I asked for Gary from Jag-Aire, he has a good price and good reviews, but he doesn't ship to my trusted forwarder in the USA. Everydayjag didn't help either.
I am willing to pay $350 for this unit with postage to Delaware.
Tahnks.
Nicolay

Old 06-17-2021, 05:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gary is always there to help. He walked me through testing and removal of my servo. I sent it to him to have it rebuilt. Reasonable also. It’s an elegant piece of equipment.

The following 2 users liked this post by Joey T:
LnrB (06-17-2021), xjsv12 (06-17-2021)