XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new owner: how much driving can it take?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new owner: how much driving can it take?

I purchased a 1986 XJ6 Vanden Plas with about 90,000 miles. New tires. Seller says it "runs great." Also looks to be in great condition from photos.

My question:

How much driving does the XJ6 usually take before it gets non-road-worthy and requires repair? Miles or hours.

What I am wondering is whether I can expect to be able to drive the car across country. I could have it shipped, but I have never driven coast-to-coast before and would like to...

Is coast-to-coast unrealistic for this model Jag? Even if I get it checked out?

Thanks!

Old 07-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

I would think an '86 car, on 90k miles (which I assume is a Series 3 XJ), should be capable of a US coast-to-coast trip, but as a 24-year old car it cannot be guaranteed ! You seem to be implying that the car is 3000 miles away from you, and you need to bring it home, so in that case can I ask how you have been able to assess its condition ? Have you relied completely on the advertisement ? Every car seller there has ever been has always said "runs great", (the words I see in UK adverts are usually "good runner"). It is meaningless advert guff, frankly ! And only "new tyres" and nothing else at all ? Most serious owners of these classic saloons should be willing to enumerate all the work they have done on the car and how they have kept it in good condition; it is 24 years old remember.

I assume also the car is the 6 cylinder, not the V12. Have you got any proofs of maintenance and repairs ? At this age of car, so much depends on previous owners doing the maintenance and replacing worn out parts. Some things are not maintenance items and can just fail on you at inconvenient moments, and this Jaguar has a quite a few of these, but it is a case of taking the risk.

So as you do not seem to be a position to drive the car on a series of lengthening, but short trips to gain confidence in it, I suggest you get it shipped. And be prepared for a lot of spending on maintenance and repairs to bring it up to a standard where you can (almost) rely on it when driving out and about.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

I personally would not rely on a Series III taking me cross country safely. For that matter, I wouldnt rely even on a new model Jaguar. I have owned several Series III XJ6s but only used them around town. I was reluctant to even take them on the freeway. 70mph and above sustained for hours or days just doesnt seem like a good idea for ANY car that age. One of the most beautiful cars ever made, for sure, but I wouldnt trust it taking me very far.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

As said, everything depends on the actual condition of the car. Most Jags of that vintage need TLC.

I bought an old XJS once...flew in to Sacramento get it and then drove 750 miles home...ran like a watch but it just as easily could've been a disaster. After I owned it for a bit and checked it all out and took care of the neglected items. I used that car as my weekend highway car. It wasn't unusal to knock off 600 or more totally trouble free miles in a weekend.

I drove a Ser III as a daily driver for many years. I never drove it coast to coast but I'd never had any qualms about jumping in it for a 1000-1200 mile road trip. But, there again, it was really well cared for and nothing was ever neglected.

I wouldn't trust *any* 24 year old used car on a coast-to-coast journey without having it checked out very thoroughly.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

I own three Jaguars with V-12 engines and I would drive them ANYWHERE on the continent without worry. I have owned an XJ 6 which I in fact did drive to all points in Canada and the US. Having said that evidence is that yes these cars CAN be driven for serious trips. The advice above is very good and anyone would be well advised to pay heed. My cars are owned and loved for a long time. I am intimately familiar with all areas of these cars, yet should I get another one even from across town, I won't be driving it anywere without gaining confidence.

This and these other posts should balance out to some decent advice.

JustV12.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I wouldn't take my 4 year old honda coast to coast without having it checked out thoroughly and I have owned it since new. That is hard on any car

Old 07-12-2010, 08:13 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I just purchased an 86 VDP w/ ~100k miles on it a few months ago from the opposite coast (I'm on the east coast) that was in very good condition, etc. I had the car trucked to me and started driving around town and to work (~30 mins including some highway). After a month or so things started to pop up from actually using the car that needed to be addressed. After taking care of those items it has been a nearly daily driver for me, and I am comfortable taking it for an all day drive.

My 2 cents: the age of the car doesn't concern me so much, but any 24 year old car with 90k miles on it most likely hasn't been used much. Therefore when you start to use it like it was originally intended for, lots of little, or not so little, items will crop up. You don't want to deal with these things in the middle of nowhere Utah, or wherever your route may take you.

Just my 2 cents. Enjoy your car once you do get it. They are great on the highway.

Eric

Old 07-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your replies. Indeed, I do not have good information about the car and am relying on trust. Definitely it would be more prudent to ship it.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know it's an old thread at this point, but I figured I'd throw in my two sheckles...

Definitely heed all aforementioned advice/warnings....good stuff.

Now, my '85 was initially purchased as a parts car, and I had no idea whether it'd make it back to my workshop from just across town, as it had been sitting for quite some time. Lo and behold, the car ran so well on that initial journey that I decided instead of breaking it for spares, I'd perform a major service on it and then see how well it would do as a daily driver. Well, here we are about one year and 16,000 miles later and the car has yet to let me down even once. Sure, I've had to throw $$ at it more often than probably anything else would require, but hey, I'm still into the thing for less than $1,500.00 and it's been a fun exercise seeing how well the car handles the daily routine, and my drive is 50 miles round trip each day, not to mention countless trips up to Cleveland (about 250 miles each way) and off to other cities (Louisville, Lexington, Indy, Detroit, etc...), and the car has always performed flawlessly. I just make sure the fluids are brimmed and there are no untoward noises coming from anywhere underneath and off we go. Ok, so I have a shop, which makes life a lot easier in owning a 25 year old car as a daily driver, and granted, the car does spend at least one day per month on a lift in there just so I can check things over, and I do also have backup cars (well, an E-Type, which isn't probably the greatest choice, lol....and a '96 Vanden Plas) but so far, I've not needed to rely on anything else...the Series III has been as reliable as I could ask.

From memory, what I've done to the car ("major items") since acquisition:

• Two new front calipers
  • New A/C condenser, receiver/drier & expansion valve, recharge with R-12
  • New radiator
  • New alternator
  • Major service done (all fluids & filters, spark plugs, cap, rotor, wires)
  • New tires
  • Remove rear catalyst pipe (was rusted) and replaced with Euro "Y" pipe
  • New rear brake pads
And I think that sums it up. Considering it sat for who knows how long before I got it, I think it's been a pretty trusty old steed

Last but not least, what I had been intending to say all along in regard to your trip with one across the country; I'm done with all that. I used to buy cars from afar and grab a buddy and drive out to wherever and drive the car back with him following me for backup. Well, after enough breakdowns (usually with old Brit cars), not to mention the overall expense of going yourself (time lost, fuel, hotel, food, etc...) I just ship everything now. There are some good brokers out there who will find great deals. For instance, my shop specializes in Mercedes-Benz, and we sold a 16 valve 190 to a guy in L.A. and got it trucked out there for $425! and I had my '96 Vanden Plas shipped here to Cincinnati from Long Island, NY for $525, so case in point, as much fun as a cross country trip would be, even if the car passed a PPI with flying colors, I think I'd still ship it, unless you're hell bent on one interesting and potentially costly road trip!

P.S. Been thinking of driving my '85 out to California. Highway driving is the easiest type of driving on a car, and the fact that I don't run the '85 hard (I cruise at 70mph most all the time), I think she'd do a cross country jaunt with no problems....the only problem would be me