XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

New Windscreen

 
  #1  
Old 02-20-2019, 08:58 PM
rfarmery's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Petaluma, California
Posts: 125
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default New Windscreen

Hello

In a short while i am going to be removing the front and rear screen to address the corrosion around the aperture. The front screen has a small chip in it so now would be the time to change it for a new one. I have looked around and have only found 1 vendor able to supply a screen and it is a Fuyao brand which i have never heard of. I was trying to find a Triplex/Pilkington screen to be as close to OEM as possible.

Can anyone please advise if they know of anywhere else i cam locate a screen for a Series 3 XJ6, XKS Unlimited is the only place i have found so far that can supply but am unsure on the brand. Does anyone have any experience with Fuyao? Are they any good?

I have also contacted a UK supplier but shipping costs makes this an uneconomical proposition

Thank you in advance

Russell

 
  #2  
Old 02-21-2019, 05:14 AM
Jose's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,745
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,075 Posts
Default

have you checked with:

SNG Barrat USA store?
Motorcars Ltd. in Texas?
 
The following users liked this post:
rfarmery (02-21-2019)
  #3  
Old 02-21-2019, 09:15 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 257
Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts
Default

I had a local auto glass shop replace the cracked front screen in my '84 XJ6. They used part number FW00414GBN, which appears to be a Pilkington screen. It looked good and I had no issues with it. They charged me $200 for the screen, but a quick google search of the part number shows them available at Summit Racing for cheap:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pkc-400047270

I'm not familiar with Fuyao. Is the chip small enough that it could be repaired? I've had one of those mobile shops fill a chip with silicone or whatever substance they use. It was effective and cheap, and the repair usually comes with a warranty.
 
  #4  
Old 02-21-2019, 07:52 PM
rfarmery's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Petaluma, California
Posts: 125
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jose View Post
have you checked with:

SNG Barrat USA store?
Motorcars Ltd. in Texas?
I have not checked either, i will take a look, thanks
 
  #5  
Old 02-21-2019, 07:55 PM
rfarmery's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Petaluma, California
Posts: 125
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by XJ6Paul View Post
I had a local auto glass shop replace the cracked front screen in my '84 XJ6. They used part number FW00414GBN, which appears to be a Pilkington screen. It looked good and I had no issues with it. They charged me $200 for the screen, but a quick google search of the part number shows them available at Summit Racing for cheap:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pkc-400047270

I'm not familiar with Fuyao. Is the chip small enough that it could be repaired? I've had one of those mobile shops fill a chip with silicone or whatever substance they use. It was effective and cheap, and the repair usually comes with a warranty.
The chip is reasonably small, however my thought was that as the screen is out i might as well replace with a new one if i can find one to the original specs.

I checked your link and i agree the price is good, i will have to check to see if my screen has the large blue band across the top, i don't recall and think it's a light green shade across the entire screen

Thanks for the help
 
  #6  
Old 02-21-2019, 10:44 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 343
Likes: 0
Received 185 Likes on 93 Posts
Default

I've dealt with Summit for years. Great phone support and very lenient return policy. If you are ever in the Akron or Atlanta area be sure to check out their showrooms. Like a Superstore of cool car stuff although mostly drag racing oriented.
 
  #7  
Old 02-22-2019, 12:53 PM
rfarmery's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Petaluma, California
Posts: 125
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Thank you to everyone who has left replies, it seems i am able to find a screen from many places, however i had thought shipping would become an issue again and sure enough i would be looking at $200 on average to ship within the US and that is without insurance, i will have to think very hard about a replacement and might have to consider XJ6Paul's thought about having the chip repaired.
 
  #8  
Old 02-22-2019, 01:10 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 257
Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts
Default

I found the invoice from when I had the work done, The list price for the screen was $200, but they only charged me $90 for it and they had a special going on so it was $70. Labor to install was $125.00. Have you tried calling your local Safelite franchise, assuming you have one nearby? They should be able to get the screen delivered to them for minimal cost since they deal in volume.

I agree that I'd pursue the repair option first though. Mine was a lengthy crack so it was beyond repair.
 
  #9  
Old 02-22-2019, 08:23 PM
rfarmery's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Petaluma, California
Posts: 125
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by XJ6Paul View Post
I found the invoice from when I had the work done, The list price for the screen was $200, but they only charged me $90 for it and they had a special going on so it was $70. Labor to install was $125.00. Have you tried calling your local Safelite franchise, assuming you have one nearby? They should be able to get the screen delivered to them for minimal cost since they deal in volume.

I agree that I'd pursue the repair option first though. Mine was a lengthy crack so it was beyond repair.
We do have a Safellite close and other repair/installation shops, i will try them to see if they would sell just a screen but i am certainly leaning closer to the repair first (that is if i can get the screen out without breaking it)
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
mohrd
X-Type ( X400 )
6
06-30-2010 11:02 AM
pmsoft85
X-Type ( X400 )
2
01-01-2009 06:47 PM
Kevin93940
X-Type ( X400 )
4
11-30-2008 02:11 PM
mike.abz
XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 )
1
03-01-2008 06:28 PM
carate
S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 )
8
02-14-2008 07:22 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Windscreen


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: