XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help (considering a rusty XJ, surprise!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 07:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help (considering a rusty XJ, surprise!)

Hello,
I'm sorry for not introducing myself first and for not actually being in the USA (I'm in Newcastle, Australia), however I haven't got a lot of time.

I am considering buying a 1986 Series 3 XJ6 Sovereign. It is in quite good condition apart from a miss when cold and rust around the bottom of the screens.

I have been told by countless numbers of people online that the rust is no big deal, however I just cringe at the sight of it. It is scary. There is absolutely no other rust that I could find, just the horrid rust around the screens. Could anybody here please tell me what they think, and also how much effort is needed to fix the rust (or at least hide it & stop it spreading)? I have attached two photos, first of the front corner (the worst of it, other side not so bad) and second of the rear. They are the sellers photos as I stupidly didn't think to take more while I was there.

Thank you so much!

Old 01-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

This is a very common problem and is fixed just like any other car with cancer. Depends how far you want to go with repairs. Odds are the channels below what you can see are worse. It's not a death sentence, but make that part of your buying price. It's going to cost money to fix.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

A small amount of rust at the screens isn't too bad, but Ken is right.....it's gonna be much worse underneath.

Just to give you an idea of what you might be in for, my Ser III had much less externally visible rust and on the front screen only. I paid $900 to remove the glass, cut out the rust, weld-in new metal, and repaint the repaired area....and that was 8-10 years ago.

The cold missfire could be very minor...or perhaps not. If a head gasket is starting to leak the coolant drips into the cylinder(s) overnight and causes a missfire until it burns off a few minutes later.

I'm not saying "don't buy the car". Just make sure you get a good price, as Ken mentioned

DD

Old 01-26-2010, 11:03 PM

Well, I ended up buying a "Ruby Red" 1984 Sovereign with very bad paint on the rear.

It drives beautifully, however it idles badly. I drove it well over 250 kilometres home with no issues, and so far it seems fine around town.

Basically though, little problems are turning up here and there (including the 'usual' Lucas gremlins ).

But I'll post about them later...

Old 01-26-2010, 11:11 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Are those cars worth a lot of money down under?

Old 01-27-2010, 02:50 AM

Uuuhhhhmmmm.... well... um... To me they're worth it, does that count?

Seriously though, they range from 600 Aust. Dollars to 12000 Aust. Dollars. Mine was only $1500, which I think is very, very, very good for being a Sovereign in its condition.

To be honest, despite it's condition I just fell in love with it on sight.

I just love the car.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

I see you have already had many responses. Very good!
I do concur with the windscreen rust issue as mentioned. Usually it is much worse underneath.
But lets consider this for a moment, the series III is the single most beautiful piece of rolling sculpture ever to grace the highways of the world. (E Types notwithstanding.) Furthermore the newest series III you can buy is at least 18 years old IF you are lucky enough to find a '92 XJ 12. Barring that most of the newest S III's are over two decades old. Now any money spent on these beauties is illogically spent they can be had in good condition for almost pocket change. So spend your money wisely, spend it with love and don't look back. You will not profit financially from this restoration but emotionally you should profit greatly.

I recently found an XJ-12 in a junk yard that is in remarkably sound condition and took it home. I will spend about four to ten times what it is worth by the time I am finished. I say save as many as we can!!
They aren't going to make any more anytime soon.

I am astounded that an Australian car can rust like that. Just shows Jag can rust anywhere I suppose. Well, tally ho and damn the critics.

Just V12

Last edited by justV12; 01-27-2010 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Additional nonsense I needed to throw in.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Having had a 1980 XJ6 4.2 for 14 years, my first recommendation is Don't Do It ! I spent more on my Jaguar than it cost Jaguar Cars to build.
You can end up spending a fortune on bodywork on these cars, as they were very badly built in the first place. The engine is also prone to cracking of the block between the bores. This cracking means the engine will keep blowing head gaskets until you either (1) find an uncracked block and rebuild the engine around it as I did or (2), machine out the liners, then remachine the top of the block to accept so-called "top-hat" liners that almost touch each other and which close off the crack.

For bodywork almost everywhere can rust, apart from the roof panel. It may be that where you are in Australia, the weather may be fine so this rusting is less, but I doubt it. Better to find a good X300 model, the last of the straight six cars, with a bullet proof engine and a reasonably well built body. Lots of people here in the UK prefer the X300 over the V8 X308 which has the same body but the V8 engine that had LOADS of trouble until very recently.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:04 PM

Hello Again "The registeredone": (and Fraser Mitchell)

Tip of the hat Mr. Mitchell.
I could not resist one last poke at this, as I see the last response.

I see that Mr Mitchell owned a 1980 version, not such a good year for them actually.
They didn't get really good until 1984. The other consideration rust aside is that over the years any car still on the road will have many of the silly original problems well sorted by now.

In 14 years it is quite possible to outspend the cost of a new car, without doubt.
I have done that with an XJ-12 in half that time.

However for those of us truly ensconced in the Jaguar hobby no one could ever accuse us of sensible spending on our cars. Therefore my philosophy is as I wrote in my last post on this thread.

I heard a chap once say, "Sentimental is close to semi-mental"

Right then, I think that suits most of us.

Just V12.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:17 PM

Thank you Just-V12.

I'm quite looking forward to my upcoming years of ownership of the Jaguar I've just bought. Costs and all.

I just found out that it is a 1985 model built in 1984. Apparently it had been wrong from its first registration, and the roadworthy inspection found it was an 85 model so the certificate and paperwork was all adjusted. Quite interesting to me.

I still don't know which year I should quote when ordering parts...

Old 01-30-2010, 11:13 AM

Congratulations theregisteredone:

I think I will call you "Reggie"...
First concerning parts, not to worry you can order parts for either year and they will be the same. The registration part was a common Jaguar thing in those days.
Sad to say but there was a time in the seventies and into the very early eighties when Jaguar couldn't give the cars away and it took a while for the reputation to return, with thanks in part to Sir John Egan.
Often left over models were sold as new stock early in the following model year.
The last time that happened in Canada was 1987, when you could still buy a series III XJ 6. Here the xj 40 was a sort of half year model. However it is interesting that you could actually buy a 1986 XJ6 badged as an '87, and actual true '87 which came with 7" outer headlamps, and the first (and very problematic) XJ 40. All in the same year mind you. My listed "87 XJ6 s-III is one of the "fakes" a left over 86 model.

I do digress don't I? However, if you take note you will find absolutely no reference to model year in the Jaguar XJ drivers handbook. Not one of the s-III jags had any indication for the reason that they were quite the same and differences from year to year take a really studied and trained eye. Or you can be an anorack such as I have been accused. LOL.

One final word Reggie, the euphoria will wear off. Consider these things as you would marital spats and work through them. The rewards of use afterwards will make you forget "she" was ever any trouble at all.

Pick up a copy or subscribe to "Jaguar World Monthly" if you havent already. you have a chap named "Gareth Coomber" down under somewhere. He seems to be severely commited to the Jag bug. Writes monthly on XJ S and does articles on very serious work on all sorts of Jaguars.

Alright then Reggie, just enjoy it! May you never tire of looking at it.

Just V12