XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Restore fuel tanks or purchase new?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 11:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Restore fuel tanks or purchase new?

Hello guys!
Finally got the fuel tanks down. They don't look too horrible but for the amount of work thats going into the rest of the car I want to make sure these are excellent.
Has anyone used Moyer Fuel Tank Repair service? From what I can tell the difference between restoring both tanks and purchasing new ones isn't very large in the grand scheme of things.

Any good or bad experiences with them?
Thanks,
Veso

Moyer Fuel Tank Renu - antique gas tank repair restoration, classic car gas tanks GASTANK

Old 01-07-2016, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

No experience with the company/process you've linked.

But....another possible alternative.....

Some (it used to be 'many') radiator shops do gas tank repairs as well. I have a local shop that does. They don't do tank 'restorations' but if it's just a matter of needing a good cleaning, soldering-up some pinholes, or perhaps a small patch-up of a rusty area, no problem. They usually charge only about $75 or so.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-07-2016, 01:57 PM

Very good point, I didn't think of that. My dad got them down over the weekend so I haven't had a chance to check them out but we can give that a shot!
Thanks!

Old 01-07-2016, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Buy new Spectre tanks while you still can. 4 times the price of a repair but you wont have to do this laborious job again and you would become road kill due to a failing tank.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

New tanks are widely available for Series 3s, and you can mod these for Series 2s. If it were me, I'd fit new ones for a 76, the old ones must be pretty bad by now.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:46 AM
Received 190 Likes on 124 Posts

Absolutely new!
Fooled myself, wasted time trying to clean the old ones.
If yours is a series 2 FI, series three work fine. You will news series 3 senders. won't go to full if you use 2's. Shame on me I used the old senders.
Interesting plumbing required due to splitting pickup and return positions on the 3's vs the 2's. Not impossible, just patience.
John's Cars(no affiliation) hooked me up with the new ones.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:51 PM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts

I would recommend (if you have had rear windscreen water leaks - parcel shelf wet etc....) and now you have the tanks out, that you shine a light up into the cavity where the tank was, and see if there is any corrosion on the inside of the outer wing.

Water that has entered from the windscreen corners will run down into the area over the rear wheel and dribble into the spot under the rear seat. Given a long enough time rust perforations will show on the outer surface of the rear wing at a spot below the fuel filler cap and over the top of the rear wheel arch. Having the tanks out make inspection for rust very easy...just look with a light. Replace the short lengths of hose at the filler neck on each tank or you may get fuel smells if they are cracked or not positioned right.

Attached Thumbnails Restore fuel tanks or purchase new?-protective-strips-will-removed.jpg   Restore fuel tanks or purchase new?-rust_damage.jpg   Restore fuel tanks or purchase new?-rustcutout2.jpg   Restore fuel tanks or purchase new?-rustperforations.jpg  

Last edited by alynmurray; 01-11-2016 at 01:11 PM. Reason: forgot photos
The following users liked this post:
littlelic69 (01-15-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 06:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kossevv
Hello guys!
Finally got the fuel tanks down. They don't look too horrible but for the amount of work thats going into the rest of the car I want to make sure these are excellent.
Has anyone used Moyer Fuel Tank Repair service? From what I can tell the difference between restoring both tanks and purchasing new ones isn't very large in the grand scheme of things.

Any good or bad experiences with them?
Thanks,
Veso

Moyer Fuel Tank Renu - antique gas tank repair restoration, classic car gas tanks GASTANK
Hello, on a 1979 SII we just had success using the same internal epoxy coating kits available for motorcycle tanks. Less than half the price of new items, italian labour included (about 35€ per hour), and rust inhibited forever.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by d.albe72
Hello, on a 1979 SII we just had success using the same internal epoxy coating kits available for motorcycle tanks. Less than half the price of new items, italian labour included (about 35€ per hour), and rust inhibited forever.
Does the fuel in Italy have Ethanol? Most DIY tank liners get eaten up and softened by the ethanol blended fuels we have in the USA. The newer epoxy sealers are suposed to be ethanol proof but they are experimental at this point and not low cost at all.

The USA based company link that was provided charges $450 + shipping for a repaired and epoxy sealed tank. That's not good value for money considering an all new and known good Spectra replacement tank can be had for slightly less than $300.00. The new Spectra tanks use a steel alloy that is ethanol resistant. If you need one...get them while you still can.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Forever is a long time...

The coating has been known to come off multiple times in prior postings...

I have changed the tanks now in three Jags... no coating work done. My forever success is now about 12 years for the first one...

Old 01-18-2016, 08:41 PM

New Spectra tanks ordered! Hopefully be here in about a week so we can tidy up the back. Excited! Thanks for the advice guys

Old 01-19-2016, 05:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by icsamerica
Does the fuel in Italy have Ethanol? Most DIY tank liners get eaten up and softened by the ethanol blended fuels we have in the USA. The newer epoxy sealers are suposed to be ethanol proof but they are experimental at this point and not low cost at all.

The USA based company link that was provided charges $450 + shipping for a repaired and epoxy sealed tank. That's not good value for money considering an all new and known good Spectra replacement tank can be had for slightly less than $300.00. The new Spectra tanks use a steel alloy that is ethanol resistant. If you need one...get them while you still can.
Actually is the first time we used it in a car, but we did it a lot of time on mototorbikes and never had problems. Regular 95 RON/85 MON should have a little alcohol in it, but in small percentage, no more than 5%. Could it be a problem? However, I will take infos abkeep it controlled.