Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,995 Likes on 5,311 Posts
Default Security

Nix has been just picking 'em up and laying 'em down for a few weeks. I spent 3 months doing battle with AirCon, and I seem to have it resolved for another 40 years. However, as I was buttoning up the console for the last time, there was a spark where it shouldn't have been and now I have no central locking. I can still drive the car, it's just a Royal Pain to lock/unlock each individual door.

And, because Central Locking doesn't work at all, I can't lock with the fob, which means I can very Stupidly leave the keys in the car and lock myself out.

Sunday we attended a Jag Club event about 100 miles away, and on the way back we stopped at one of our favorite watering holes, where I dutifully locked all the doors manually, but as I was dinkin around finding the proper credit card, I didn't have the keys in my hand when I closed (and locked) the driver door.

Do you know just how Secure our old Xj's are against breaking in??? I called my Roadside Service, NONE of their usual tools worked (no fancy coat hanger tricks). He tried a cute little air bag to warp the window frame, couldn't find a place to insert it. After 45 minutes he called his buddy, so I had TWO AAA trucks from the same company out of service. We were clogging up a fair portion of the parking lot.

We couldn't put it on the flatbed (to take it home where I have keys in my desk) because there was no way to get it out of gear. The Fellas had to get the Secret Book to tell them how to jimmy the lock and that wasn't a 15 minute procedure either. They spent a full 2 hours, by which time it was well and truly Dark, but they finally got it. As they were picking up their toys, er, tools, one said, "We need to find some of this old stuff and practice."

I have now put a full set of keys where I can get to them should I do this again. And, as soon as I get a week or so free (HA!) I'll take apart the driver side behind-instrument-panel/under-dash and chase the Thermal Breaker that I seem to have destroyed. Either that or I'll put a Slow-Blow fuse in where I can more easily reach it "next time" (there's Always a Next Time).

Of course, if someone Really wanted in, there are always a handy rock.
(';')

The following 8 users liked this post by LnrB:
Daf11e (03-01-2020), Doug (03-01-2020), Grant Francis (03-01-2020), Greg in France (03-01-2020), Jag7651 (03-01-2020), LT1 jaguar (03-01-2020), o1xjr (03-02-2020), yachtmanbuttson (03-10-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-01-2020, 03:11 AM
Received 10,338 Likes on 6,839 Posts

OOPS.

I remember I had an AUDI A3 drive car once, and stopped in my driveway to manually open the roll up door, left the engine running, drivers door shut, as some do, and I heard KERLUNK.

It locked itself.

Rang back to dealer, and was informed that particular car was due for a recall for that very problem tomorrow when I returned it.

What about now, its in my driveway, running, near full tank of fuel, lights are on, and I cannot get into it to return it, was met with "n idea buddy".

Roadside could not get into it, as apparently it deadllocked itself.

Dealer again for someone to bring the spare key, "yea, tomorrow morning".

One brick, passengers window, problem solved.

Dealer not happy, and even worse when I had finished with the Wombat Service Manager who fobbed me off the previous night.

Good luck digging into the dash wiring Elinor.

The following 3 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Greg in France (03-01-2020), LnrB (03-01-2020), o1xjr (03-02-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 04:16 AM
Received 10,338 Likes on 6,839 Posts

Elinor,

PM sent, there is another way in.

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (03-01-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Woweee.

1. At one time the "classic" way of getting in to one's car when the keys were locked inside was to bust the small vent window on a front door. then just enough room to pull the lock button. In y former career, we paid folks for the new glass. probably not covered, just policy. the fortuity thing.

2. Decades ago, dear departed was garage sale shopping. I did the driving. Neat as the jaguar was new to us then. I locked it as it had loot in it!!Alas, when we came back to it. No keys in my pocket. Look in the window, On the floor!!! As it was hot, I left a window down a bit. Back to the sale. One of the free items was wire thing??? , I managed to make something that resembled the coat hanger type too. It was like one of those candy prize tool devices in some eateries. After many near hooks I got one!!!! Dear departed had mixed emotions. I was both dumb and smart!!!

3. Another time, I was on a business trip in Elinor's part of the state. Summer and blazing hot, This trip in my very cool 85 Ford F150. Business done, I opened the passenger door, tossed in my brief case. Closed the door, locking it, On, "@@##$%%" I tossed in the keys as well

Brilliant. It had a tool boxwell equipped. The rear glass was a slider. I read that those can be "slipped" / It had promise, and I just might crawl in that way. That might have been wishful thinking!!! OTH, I might just reach the keys on the passenger side of the seat. Durn or not so durn, the glass busted into a shard of pebbles!!! Aye, I got the keys!!!!!

On to the driver door. opened. Ready to go. Yeah, and all the cool air out the busted glass opening!!! Found a convenience store. Got some tape. used one of my file folders. Taped in the card board. On the way. a bit of a drive and it was late... But,coool

The replacement slider cost the same amount as my deductible. Serviced only as a unit, not just a glass. After, I thought. Why a slider anyway? I should have just had glass put in..

Carl. ..

The following 3 users liked this post by JagCad:
Grant Francis (03-02-2020), Greg in France (03-02-2020), LnrB (03-02-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 03:11 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

I did the same thing when I first got my XJ6, put the steering lock on and locked the doors. Didn’t realise until the next morning.
A young country boy NRMA breakdown guy showed up(cowboy hat and all). His first comment was “cool, I’ve never broken into a Jag before” . He had the 1/4 window on the passenger side open in about 5 minutes and used a broom handle to flick the lock open on the drivers door.

I have had a set of keys where I can get to them by lying down and putting my arm up under the bonnet and unhook them. Well hidden, they were never discovered by anyone else even when we took the engine out.

The following 2 users liked this post by o1xjr:
Grant Francis (03-02-2020), LnrB (03-02-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 03:59 PM
Received 3,841 Likes on 2,796 Posts

Came with the car...........you’d never know.

The following 2 users liked this post by Daf11e:
Grant Francis (03-02-2020), LnrB (03-02-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 452 Posts

Memory isnt what it used to be, but i think i remember reading about a spot in wheel well where jaguar actually placed a spare key, mind you, i could have dreamed it... not that it helps at all as even if they did, odds of it still being there are slim to none

LnrB (03-02-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 08:02 PM
Received 627 Likes on 321 Posts

My '79 SIII had a spare key from the factory in the top of the left front wing. I was trying to use a screwdriver to open the bonnet latch and it fell out.

Eons ago when General Motors car were locked by pushing down the lock button and closing the door, I got out, pushed the button and slammed the door. But just as I did the edge of the door caught the key ring in my hand and neatly flipped the keys up onto the dash just as the locked door closed.

When I bought my 2007 VDP the previous owner showed me where he glued the valet key up under the bumper. Good idea but it took me 15 minutes with a screwdriver to dig it out. So not very practical.

I have settled on using a big slotted head sheet metal screen under the car where the slotted head is big enough to be turned using in a dime (that's a U.S. $.10 coin for our friends outside of the US).

Jeff

LnrB (03-02-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,995 Likes on 5,311 Posts

I have also heard the Rumor that Jaguar put a spare key somewhere, but it's long gone from my car. Besides. Enough stuff was "modified" or otherwise messed with during the ownership of the PO that key might not work anyway.

I like Clarke's and Jeff's solutions, but both of those mean I would have to get down on the ground somewhat to retrieve the key. If, as happened this time, I'm dressed a bit Jagaliciosly (this car makes me feel like a Lady), that action would be not only unacceptable but also unseemly.
(';')

The following 3 users liked this post by LnrB:
Grant Francis (03-03-2020), Greg in France (03-03-2020), littlelic69 (03-04-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yup! It was years ago that I read of the extra key receptacle Just above the left front wheel. I looked on my car. Yes, the bracket was and still is there. but no box with a spare key.

Elinor:

Decades ago, somewhere between Monterrey and home, our FJ 40 began to lay a smoke screen.
I pulled over to check. Oh, 99888777 a busted oil filter line. Not dressed for poking around a greasy part. never mind it was next to the exhaust down pipe. As it was not full flow, but only part flow, I figured out a way to block the line. Short sleeve shirt, little or no mess there. I had a couple of quarts of oil, so I topped t off and back on the road. Alas, I was still oozing??? Stopped at a convenience store and got more oil Managed to limp home.. New lines fitted, not ##$## as the old ones. but braided line..Alas, the bearings had taken a beating. Rebuilt the engine, twice!! Much modified and up dated... Sold to a kid. Star QB at a local high school.

LnrB (03-06-2020)