Sponsored by:

Series 1 water pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 06:27 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by paulyling
let us know how she goes Clarke..
Originally Posted by LnrB

It's good that you have all those friends and contacts too, Clarke.
(';')
All ran sweet today,as I assumed it would. 40 minutes in a traffic jam and temp stayed constant at 1/4 or just above.
All those friends and contacts are either mates that go way back to the 80's,or local shops(I've been a local for 18 years). My suburb is off the side of a freeway surrounded by river so the only people who come in here are local or visiting locals. And most of the local repair guys know I come and ask questions and pick their brains and will bring my car to them if I get in too deep(hasn't happend yet). And when I get helpful advise or a favour I make sure I come straight back with a cold 6 pack for the boys,before I go home. We still have a strong "amber happy juice economy" in Queensland.. And they also know I will pull up the sleeves and lend a hand when they have jobs that need 3 hands etc. Don't know how many times I've been in a local workshop(out back,beyond the "staff only" signs) because I usually use the tradesmans entrance and been asked,"got minute to help Clarke?" and end up there the rest of the day.
But with ample days off and being too tight fisted to pay for jobs I can do myself I am often twirling spanners or driving a customer home or cleaning parts for the love of it.
So, in the scheme of things I pay in a round a bout way for services,just not with my cash.

The following users liked this post:
paulyling (08-08-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 06:48 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

That is the true Aussie way.

Sadly getting undermined by too many taking advantage of our unique culture.

Something I get very testy about at times.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
o1xjr (08-07-2014), paulyling (08-08-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 07:12 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Nothing is too hard when someone else is buying the beer,especially if it is cold.
It always amazes me how much you can get done for a slab.
We call it the "beer economy" or local networking. I'm afraid its all done on "I" thingy's now and nobody actually talks to each other or knows who they are talking to.

The beer economy is booming here in Jindalee.

paulyling (08-08-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Originally Posted by o1xjr
All ran sweet today,as I assumed it would. 40 minutes in a traffic jam and temp stayed constant at 1/4 or just above.
All those friends and contacts are either mates that go way back to the 80's,or local shops(I've been a local for 18 years). My suburb is off the side of a freeway surrounded by river so the only people who come in here are local or visiting locals. And most of the local repair guys know I come and ask questions and pick their brains and will bring my car to them if I get in too deep(hasn't happend yet). And when I get helpful advise or a favour I make sure I come straight back with a cold 6 pack for the boys,before I go home. We still have a strong "amber happy juice economy" in Queensland.. And they also know I will pull up the sleeves and lend a hand when they have jobs that need 3 hands etc. Don't know how many times I've been in a local workshop(out back,beyond the "staff only" signs) because I usually use the tradesmans entrance and been asked,"got minute to help Clarke?" and end up there the rest of the day.
But with ample days off and being too tight fisted to pay for jobs I can do myself I am often twirling spanners or driving a customer home or cleaning parts for the love of it.
So, in the scheme of things I pay in a round a bout way for services,just not with my cash.
It used to be a bit that way when I was a kid growing up; EMPLOYEES ONLY was only to keep undesirables out. I understand in the last 15 years or so since I left things are changing on that front, along with 'Buy At Home.'

Several businesses that were Anchors in my little home town simply couldn't compete with the large chains and box stores in the city 50 miles up the road.

Of course, I don't live there anymore either, nor will I ever again, but that's not the reason.
(';')

paulyling (08-08-2014)