Sponsored by:

Steering rack replacement

Old 04-17-2018, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,741 Likes on 7,097 Posts
Default Steering rack replacement

Bought a remanufactured steering rack (via Ebay) from this outfit:

https://www.carsteering.com/buynow/1...R?crid=2480314

The $285 price includes free shipping both ways.Seems like an good unit. Works well, no problems. Buying at the lower end of the price range always makes one wonder, though. In any case, it isn't constantly dripping like the old one ! Even allowing that 'old cars like their fluids', topping off p/s fluid every week was a bit much.

Installation on a V12 car is a little tricky. The task is eased a bit by disconnecting the hoses at the engine end, allowing the slack needed to easily get the threads started on the rack end.

Also, the pinch bolt at the column-to-rack coupling is *just* accessible via the LH fenderwell (LHD car). Remove the tire and use a long extension to reach it. You'll find it visible in the small slot between the subframe and the body of the car.

The rack came with new bushings of unknown quality. I pressed them out (easy) and installed some new urethane bushings I've had sitting around. Can't remember how/when/when I got them !

I did bollix things up a bit, though. In refitting the hoses I must've gotten a bit rough with the power steering cooler (#9 in the illustration below) as the nipple became partially dislodged from the body of the cooler. Of course I didn't realize this until everything was back together and full if oil. Messy.

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...oler-and-pipes

I removed the cooler and spliced the hoses together. All's well. Not entirely sure if I'll bother with repairing or replacing. We'll see. If I do, it'll certainly be something less expensive than the original Jaguar item at $407 ! Generics are available for $25-$30

Cheers
DD

The following 8 users liked this post by Doug:
bill70j (07-05-2018), Daf11e (02-03-2021), Greg in France (02-02-2021), iramphal (04-18-2018), Jag7651 (04-18-2018), Junkyardjohn (05-14-2021), olivermarks (04-18-2018), Pabarlow (04-18-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-18-2018, 08:46 AM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts

Good find !!
My rack does not leak (yet) but the original eventually did. I found a good used one a few years ago (switched it out - new bushings etc.) it is still doing fine. - got extremely lucky (David Boger sold it to me,...works great). My old one leaked from the top of tower,..just enough to bother me, besides when I visit upscale homes - some with sprawling (clean) parking aprons,.. it does not look good after the car leaves drippings on the concrete / brickwork. You can not very well bring a large piece of cardboard to place under your fancy Jaguar when it is parked lol. May try to add a new seal to the old rack now that it is just sitting on a shelf in the garage. I would be interested in seeing if your new one works out well over time. It probably boils down to correct clearances and good seal materials. My concern is I may repair the tower leak but,..will it start leaking somewhere else soon...? Best !

Old 04-18-2018, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,915 Likes on 5,278 Posts

Doug, the Third Rule of Acquisition plainly states;
"Never pay more than you have to!"
Congrats!
(';')

Old 04-18-2018, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Doug:

Nice work and a great write-up. May it help others in need of swapping out the rack.

The oil cooer sure is a complicated device. Far larger than the ones I've ever seen in a USA built car. Actually, I don't think many have coolers. I don't recall any in any of the critters that have "lived" with me.

I vaguely recall one. A huge mid 70's Lincoln sedan that my son acquired for free. It's cooler was much smaller. It's owner disgusted with It's "cranky" failure to crank!!!! Adjusting the monkey motion arrangement that operated the N/S "cured" it. sold to a delighted older couple for a nice profit!!!

So, it will e interesting as to how your V12 fares sans Ps cooler!!! I suspect quite well!!! :

Old 04-18-2018, 05:19 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Bought a remanufactured steering rack (via Ebay) from this outfit:

https://www.carsteering.com/buynow/1...R?crid=2480314

The $285 price includes free shipping both ways.Seems like an good unit. Works well, no problems. Buying at the lower end of the price range always makes one wonder, though. In any case, it isn't constantly dripping like the old one ! Even allowing that 'old cars like their fluids', topping off p/s fluid every week was a bit much.

Installation on a V12 car is a little tricky. The task is eased a bit by disconnecting the hoses at the engine end, allowing the slack needed to easily get the threads started on the rack end.

Also, the pinch bolt at the column-to-rack coupling is *just* accessible via the LH fenderwell (LHD car). Remove the tire and use a long extension to reach it. You'll find it visible in the small slot between the subframe and the body of the car.

The rack came with new bushings of unknown quality. I pressed them out (easy) and installed some new urethane bushings I've had sitting around. Can't remember how/when/when I got them !

I did bollix things up a bit, though. In refitting the hoses I must've gotten a bit rough with the power steering cooler (#9 in the illustration below) as the nipple became partially dislodged from the body of the cooler. Of course I didn't realize this until everything was back together and full if oil. Messy.

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...oler-and-pipes

I removed the cooler and spliced the hoses together. All's well. Not entirely sure if I'll bother with repairing or replacing. We'll see. If I do, it'll certainly be something less expensive than the original Jaguar item at $407 ! Generics are available for $25-$30

Cheers
DD
Good information thanks Doug.

Walter

Old 07-04-2018, 01:55 PM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I fined out the Rack will leak if the seals go bad and the main reason is the wrong hydraulic oil.
do not mix mineral and regular oil (mineral green regular red)
after flash the system and use only mineral oil solved my problem.
one more point the remanufacturing companies use red oil to check for leaks after the remanufacturing ,
so or you use the same, or do like me I asked Covantry west and they test them with air pressure so that care of that problem

Old 02-01-2021, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 280 Posts

Doug - Looks like my steering rack is leaking and I'm considering either rebuilding myself (not my preference) or buying a rebuilt unit. I followed your link to CareSteering Wholesale. And I wonder how your rebuilt steering rack from them is holding up after four years of using? And if satisfied - what PS fluid are you using?

Thanks, Bill

The following users liked this post:
davidboger (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 11:55 AM
Default XJ6 steering rack

Originally Posted by yachtmanbuttson
Doug - Looks like my steering rack is leaking and I'm considering either rebuilding myself (not my preference) or buying a rebuilt unit. I followed your link to CareSteering Wholesale. And I wonder how your rebuilt steering rack from them is holding up after four years of using? And if satisfied - what PS fluid are you using?

Thanks, Bill
Hi Bill
I the past I have an answer to your questions try to find them i will try to summarize it hear too (ignore any misspell ) oil leak mainly coming because mix of hydraulic oil
the red and the green (mineral ) and over pressure of the pump,
i anded to buy 4 time the steering rack before i solved the problem,
my recommendation is buy or send to rebuild your pump and rack to BBB industrial (you can choose other if you want) what I found out that after 3 time i replaced the rack myself and added with leak after few days, i took my car to the Jaguar dealer and paid for it but find out the the rack was leaking before I drove home.
I called the company where i bought the rack to ask for advice but was yelled the all is my fault and the problem is in my car and he don't want to see me again.
he was right after calling BBB the guy was polite and gave me the hall information by my vin# he gave my the # of PSI output from the pump in idle , in max steering left and right and in 1500RPM I bust a PSI gauge hooked it up between the pump ant the rack tested the pressure found out as i remember it was around 1600PSI when the max for my steering should be around 1300PSI, now in the pump outlet there is a relief valve that can be adjusted by adding or removing shims I adjusted the pressure to the right PSI and Vallartas its over a year and no leak at all, a not to the guy that kicked me out you rebuilt my pump a no shims where there it mean the pump gave me the max pressure it could,
Bill if you need more info just ask
Joe

LnrB (02-01-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member

Joe - WOW! That's quite a story; I'm sorry all that happened to you. I supposed we all have those kinds of stories - and that's what this Forum is here to try and prevent. What year Jaguar was the steering rack that was rated for 1300 PSI mounted on? Trying to see how that matches up with my 1975 XJ6C tall tower steering rack.

Old 02-02-2021, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

I'm glad this thread popped up.

The rack I bought from this outfit......

....failed after about 18 months and I had to replace it. It developed a severe case of morning sickness.

I don't know if it was a fluke failure...or a case of "You get what you pay for". I switched brands and vendors. All's well.....so far

Cheers
DD

Old 02-02-2021, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

Doug - by any chance do you remember with brand/vendor?

Bill

Old 02-02-2021, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

The brand I ended up with is "Maval".....which is at least a well known commodity. I can't remember what vendor I got it from. I recall it was a bit more expensive than the one I bought from carsteering.com. Maybe $400-ish?

Cheers
DD

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
LnrB (02-02-2021), LT1 jaguar (02-02-2021), yachtmanbuttson (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 08:54 AM

my Jaguar is XJ6 1990 Sovereign but as i said call BBB with your vin# he will tell you the pump output pressure,

The following 2 users liked this post by shtekler:
LnrB (02-02-2021), yachtmanbuttson (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 08:56 AM

yes i remember the price was high try rockauto

Old 02-02-2021, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

Found these two videos to be REALLY helpful!

Bleeding the Power Steering System

Flushing the Power Steering System

Old 02-02-2021, 07:30 PM

I flushed the hydraulic line also replaced the hoses, the fun thing was I ordered them from the UK and it was cheeper then hear in the US and used the original green oil Mineral oil

Old 02-03-2021, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member

Doug - You'll love this exchange I had with Technical Support at BBB Industries: My original question was what PSI did the BBB Industries PS pump put out.

RE: #External :New submission: BBB Contact Form

BBB Contact Form

Nature of Inquiry

Product Information

Question or Comment

Could you please tell me what the max PSI of your reman power steering pump PN#19318697 is.

Many thanks, Bill

Dave Sergent <dsergent@bbbind.com>

to me, BBB

Tue, Feb 2, 11:53 AM (20 hours ago)

1550PSI

David Sergent

Manager Technical Support

mgaul@bbbind.com

BBB Industries
29627 Renaissance Blvd | Daphne, AL 36526
www.bbbind.com

Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2021 11:34 AM
To: BBB Information <info@bbbind.com>
Subject: #External :New submission: BBB Contact Form

Bill Watson <billwsys@gmail.com>

to Dave

Tue, Feb 2, 12:21 PM (19 hours ago)

Thank you for your response. But... RockAuto (and everyone else) shows that as the part number for my 1975 Jaguar XJ6C, but the steering rack is only rated for 1100 - 1200 PSI (see attached excerpt from Jaguar Service Manual) Can the power steering pump pressure be lowered to that? Otherwise it will blow out seals (ask me how I know).

Many thanks again, Bill

Dave Sergent

to me

Tue, Feb 2, 12:37 PM (19 hours ago)

Pressure is a product of resistance to flow, That rack will handle these pressures just fine.
David Sergent

Manager Technical Support

mgaul@bbbind.com

BBB Industries
29627 Renaissance Blvd | Daphne, AL 36526
www.bbbind.com

Old 02-03-2021, 09:34 AM

When I talked to them The answer was more detailed
try to find my respond to the subject from last year

yachtmanbuttson (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 07:06 PM

I find my final solution to the steering rack find it under my name past answers date 12/2018 its including th tool I made

The following 2 users liked this post by shtekler:
LT1 jaguar (02-03-2021), yachtmanbuttson (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member

Shtekler - Found the post - VERY INFORMATIVE! Thank you. I don't see where you were able to get the valve kit from with the different shims. Do you still have that information? There's seems to be no problem mentioning brand names or manufacturer's or who you bought things from in this Forum.

BTW - My wife and I graduated from West Haven High School back in '66. Lived in Stratford until 2003 before moving to Florida. It's COLD up there!!!