XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a fuel tank removal FAQ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is there a fuel tank removal FAQ?

There's a local guy selling a nice looking 83 XJ6 with a SBC already in it. Says it runs but needs brake work and fuel tank work to be roadworthy. I'm going to go check it out, and have been seeing that the tanks are a royal PITA to work on.

It's not for a daily driver, but if I get it, would like to make it road worthy quickly so I could park my twin turbo Z until weekends or something. 400+ hp cars needing 93 octane aren't so cheap to putt around town in.

Anyways, worst case scenario, if the tanks need to be dropped to be really effectively cleaned, is there a walkthrough on removal of the tanks anywhere? I've looked through multiple pages on here w/o much luck and Google mostly brings up questioned asked on Ask.com about later 80s or early 90s XJ6s and I don't think those would help.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt300ZXT
Anyways, worst case scenario, if the tanks need to be dropped to be really effectively cleaned, is there a walkthrough on removal of the tanks anywhere? I've looked through multiple pages on here w/o much luck and Google mostly brings up questioned asked on Ask.com about later 80s or early 90s XJ6s and I don't think those would help.

This isn't exactly a step by step but there are a few tidbits that might be useful

On Draining the Gas Tanks

In a nutshell it's remove rear bumper, remove lower quarter panels/valance panels, drain fuel, remove hoses and wires, remove filler necks, remove tank bolts/hardware, drop tanks. Not a fun job

Others will chime in, I'm sure, with better info

Cheers
DD

Old 09-24-2012, 09:23 PM
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I've come halfway to taking a fuel tank out, and decided that to wait until the winter because my other tank was good. The quarter bumper is a pain in the butt to get off. Pull up your wrenches and sockets, put down a towel/box/creeper to lay on, douse the bolts with penetrating oil, and get to work. It's a rather slow process that requires you to manipulate the black rubber part of the quarter bumper to get the bolts out. The long section of the bumper does not need removed.

If you pull away the trunk side trim, there's a fitting or two there. That's about as far as I got. If you go through with it, post some pics and feedback!

Old 09-25-2012, 04:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

the step by step instructions for either tank removal are in the Jaguar Factory Service Manual. (not a Haynes or Chilton, but the FACTORY Manual).

one warning in the instructions is that the fuel system must be de-pressurized before tank removal, and the battery must be disconnected. Electricity and Gasoline (in liquid or vapor form), do not mix for some strange reason.

also you can't remove one tank and keep driving with the other, so the car will be disabled.

why de-pressurize? I don't know but I stopped trying to outguess Jaguar a long time ago. Most people do it "by ear", not depressurizing the system, then they end up with one problem or another, that much I know. I replaced one tank years ago, following the Manual instructions, piece of cake, and never had any problems since.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

It's also a lot easier with the rear silencers removed too. Makes it easier to get at the tank-side securing bolts. Rear 1/4 panels are a PITA usually due to corrosion of the screws. Replace with stainless all round.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
It's also a lot easier with the rear silencers removed too. Makes it easier to get at the tank-side securing bolts. Rear 1/4 panels are a PITA usually due to corrosion of the screws. Replace with stainless all round.
exactly, the rear silencer and tip must be removed, that's why they are never welded.